Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      as a furniture maker, i wanna see!

Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

Hey Wes, I'm new to this forum and have spent the last several days reading this thread from the beginning. simply put...WOW! I'm not sure if I should thank you or be mad at you for the pain and suffering you're about to put me through. Just Kidding! Seriously, this thread alone has given me so many ideas i'm not sure I'll ever finish my car now...

The work you've done and plan to do on this car is extremely impressive at the very least. I have a similar shop setup as you with welders (TIG and MIG) lathe, mill, etc. I'm building a '67 coupe also but more of a street rod than touring car although I want it to handle\perform none the less. Planning on a 408 Windsor, TKO600, 2003 Cobra IRS and a TCI IFS. I have a ways to go but this thread has certainly inspired me to get my @ss out in the shop and get to work! Screw gold...time is the most valuable commodity!!!

Also, probably a little late but congrats on your daughters! I have three of them (11, 12 and 16) so good luck ;-)

Here's my progress on project "scope creep";

Got a little carried away with the plasma cutter.

Name:  Shell.jpg
Views: 2242
Size:  57.1 KB

Front clip back together with all new sheetmetal.
      Name:  Front Clip.jpg
Views: 3200
Size:  52.2 KB

Currently working on the rear-half of the car. Almost ready for mini-tubbing.
      Name:  Rear Half.jpg
Views: 2671
Size:  58.8 KB

Wes - progress looks great! the pedals turned out awesome. Let me know if you need a hand I'd be happy to come up and help out
      Tom

Quote Originally Posted by dusterbd13 View Post
      as a furniture maker, i wanna see!
      Still rough as I wanted to confirm the little details. The doors he's putting them on have a really nice burl on the inset panel that has the grain oriented primarily horizontal so I'm going to leave the inset portions with machine marks going in the same direction. Also, I think we're going to leave all the machine marks to show off the 100% custom aspect and just hit them with clear.

And since you're a furniture maker too, I think you'll get a kick out of a table I built a few years ago. Its called "Bad Table". Unfortunately I'm not that creative, I saw a similar one in a magazine and knew I had to build one.

Cheers,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by modmotor46 View Post
      Hey Wes, I'm new to this forum and have spent the last several days reading this thread from the beginning. simply put...WOW! I'm not sure if I should thank you or be mad at you for the pain and suffering you're about to put me through. Just Kidding! Seriously, this thread alone has given me so many ideas i'm not sure I'll ever finish my car now...

The work you've done and plan to do on this car is extremely impressive at the very least. I have a similar shop setup as you with welders (TIG and MIG) lathe, mill, etc. I'm building a '67 coupe also but more of a street rod than touring car although I want it to handle\perform none the less. Planning on a 408 Windsor, TKO600, 2003 Cobra IRS and a TCI IFS. I have a ways to go but this thread has certainly inspired me to get my @ss out in the shop and get to work! Screw gold...time is the most valuable commodity!!!

Also, probably a little late but congrats on your daughters! I have three of them (11, 12 and 16) so good luck ;-)
      Thanks a bunch! To be honest, I wish I would've went a bit further and cut out the floor back to the seat pans, it would've been easier. My problem is that I constantly find myself trying to turn this thing into a race car and I have to remind myself that its just a street car.

Anyway, it sure looks like you'll have a nice car there as well, keep up the awesome work.

Cheers,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by 67greengt View Post
      Wes - progress looks great! the pedals turned out awesome. Let me know if you need a hand I'd be happy to come up and help out
      Tom
      Hey Tom,

I'll take you up on that soon. I'm going to build my rotiserie soon and would love for you to give me some input on the details as I know you've used on a lot.

Wes

No problem, whats your email? I can send you a few pics of the ones my dad has. You got my number if you need help! Just txt me
      Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 67greengt View Post
      No problem, whats your email? I can send you a few pics of the ones my dad has. You got my number if you need help! Just txt me
      Tom
      wes at wes hill dot com

Thanks Tom

is the top on bad table curved as well at the corner? loos it in the pic.

it appears to be white oak, and the bent leg looks to be about 8/4. which means you cut it from a HUGE chunk. id love to have access to that kind of lumber again. i miss living up north for certain things. llike my old local sawmill (kane hardwood in kane, pa.)

keep up the good work, in all mediums.
      and stay warm.

michael
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

Yes, the top is curved. I built the form from laminated 2x4's that I then shaped. The top is a full 4/4 so I had to actually stand on the top to get it in the form after pulling out of the steam box. The stretchers were cut and fromed, not bent.

Ya, the legs are all from 8/4 material so the bent one took as much material as the other 3 legs combined.

The material is walnut. I found a few boards that were unusually light so I grabbed them. A friend is a cabinet/furniture maker so I pretend to work for him so the place I get the wood from treats me well and lets me pick though lifts.

Anyway, back to the car. Finished up the tunnel this aft, am about to put kids to bed and head back out to build the shifter hole/boot mount. I'm going with the Lokar matt black anodized billet peices. Seem pretty nice and are quite economical at ~$50 each and keeps with my blacked out and simple theme.

http://lokar.com/product-pgs/shifter...ter-boots.html

Pics to follow

Very nice mustang you are building.

I heard you died....Welcome back...

I died last year, twice....Brain and heart .....

I lived..This is number one on my bucket list.

The redoing of my Z/28 that i have had for 30 years.

Welcome back, and i am glad that you got to work on your car and enjoy your daughter...

I was already into my resto when I found this site. you guys are gonna make me spend some more money, haha...

Code blue, very fitting....I had the attorney, notary and priest at my bedside...I knew it wasn't good.

My project is Bucketlist 2012.... Welcome back.....

And a welcome back to you as well.

I look forward to watching you build your Zed 28 as well.

Cheers,

Wes

Wes,

Thanks. I checked out your thread..WOW...My car won't be that extensive a build.. I am an old Camaro owner and a newbie to Pro Touring.

Yes brother, it is good to be alive. i was partially paralyzed for 24 hours on my left side....Face to toes.....No clutch foot .Oh no......

But all is well and still somewhat day by day, even a year later

Your story hits home big time...

More photos of my build in a week or so....

Funny,when people say I am having a mid-Life crisis, I respond by saying I am 51....Mid-life passed me by a while back....If this is mid life, then I am going to be 102 ?

With all that has happened, I highly doubt it...

That is why the first thing on my Bucket list is being done right now...

All the best, and to a long and healthy life.

Mike V

Wes, I have really enjoyed your thread!! just started reading it last night and finished it this afternoon. I have been building a 68 firebird for quite a few years now, And it is an inspiration to see how fast you have accomplished your build to this point. Keep up the great work!! I am sure there are a lot of people who watch what you are doing and do not send any feedback on how much they admire your work.
      My car is more body work than high tech. I have made the whole back of the car 6'' wider and 2 3/4 minitub for 18'' of wheel tub. 12 bolt rear, 455 engine, 400turbo,335 rear tires.
      Thanks again for sharing!!

Thanks a bunch for the feedback, very appreciated! But really, where are the damn pics of your car? ;-)

Cheers,

Wes

Wes, I have never posted any before!! Not sure how to yet, But I will figure it out soon. I will call it "68 Widetrax".

Alright I muttered through it. just search 68Widetrax and you can see some pic's of my abomination! LOL

Well, I'm at the stage now where I need to get the upper strut mount structure finished. To do that I need the steering in so I needed to fab the rack mounts. I wanted to build a mount system that would allow me some flexibility.

So, today I spent about 4 hours widdling the mounts from aluminum.

Started with some 1 3/4" stock

And widdled down to this prior to parting:

and after parting and chamfering:

Slid into the steering crossmember:

Mustang II rack:

So, I ran out of time so I still need to turn the pieces that go on the other end that act as "washers" if you will. They'll go much faster as they're simple and I dont have to remove nearly as material.

Next time I buy manlier machine tools!

Wesley J

Oh, and because of my super tight packaging as I'm always trying to get as close as possible to ideal geometry, I have to pull the motor to install the rack. Well, actually, I just need to raise it about 2" but really.... WTF am I thinking... LOL

Wes

I have a question about your crossmember. Are the tabs welded to the frame something that you cut out, or are they a purchasable part?

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com