Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 29 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Machwon View Post
      Car is awesome. Just read the whole thread man. Love it. Is there anyway you could do me a favor and take a photo of how fat man changes the spindle to rear steer? I'm playing around with the same idea. I'd appreciate it. Thanks, oh and again, love your work!
      Thanks!

I'll see if I can track that down. I'm moving back to the front steer of the stock 96-04 mustang spindle. Not only is it arguably better from a performance perspective, but I'm going to push my motor back and as low as I can so putting the rack out front makes sense to me.

Anyway, they provide a bolt on arm that is connected via the caliper bolts. The arm is poorly made and the bolts they supply are too long and contact the brake rotor and need to me shortened. I'll try to track down a pic, if I cant find one then I'll dig out the parts and take one.

Cheers,

Wes

Got a frame rail in last night. I'll post more once I get them both in. They look good though, I sunk it about 1.5" up into the floor at the back. You can see the frame rails from the side but a lot less so than the GW subframe connectors I had on there before. Plus its continuous from front to back so it "stick out" a lot less.

Wes

Here's a pic of the arms:

Thanks I appreciate the picture. I was going back and forth about the advantages of both, as well for what it would take to convert to front steer. Seems like the greatest hurdle would just be ridding myself of the front sump and jump to a fox style rack. Ah well, thanks for the photo man!

Steven
      70 Fastback-Corbeaus, TKO 500, Small cage, Roller windsor, MSD etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley J View Post
      My only problem right now is finding material. It seems every place here in town has a $300+ minimum order and I need less than $100 of material....
      Wes, Have you tried Metals Supermarket? I know they do have some locations north of the border and they specialize in smaller orders. Might be what you are looking for.
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

Thanks chunger. But I avoid that place like the plague as they charge about 3x the price per foot as the other places. My guess is that for the amount of material I need that I'll be at the $300 from them.... I may just bite the bullet and buy the $300 minimum and have the extra material around....

Wes

Country Flag: United States
      Hey Wes,

Looking really good. I remembered seeing this article a couple of years ago in Mustangs and Fords about a car that had an aluminum core support. Here is the link to the photo (not a very good one) but we engineers can extrapolate the unseen ;/

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa.../photo_13.html

Also, look at the Fatman site (yeah I know we don't really like their stuff), but they have a system that you could plagiarize their idea, see below. This may be a solution to mounting the fenders & hood.

http://www.fatmanfab.com/mustang.php

Keep the updates comming!

Cheers
      68 Mustang Convertible
      408 Stroker
      5 Speed
      Coil Over Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraclone View Post
      Hey Wes,

Looking really good. I remembered seeing this article a couple of years ago in Mustangs and Fords about a car that had an aluminum core support. Here is the link to the photo (not a very good one) but we engineers can extrapolate the unseen ;/

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa.../photo_13.html

Also, look at the Fatman site (yeah I know we don't really like their stuff), but they have a system that you could plagiarize their idea, see below. This may be a solution to mounting the fenders & hood.

http://www.fatmanfab.com/mustang.php

Keep the updates comming!

Cheers
      Thanks for the links. Although I really like the M&F aluminum support, it'd be horendously expensive and difficult to build. The structure I'm building will be drastically stronger than the stock sheetmetal uniboby parts so I wont need it for strength.

As far as the Fatman front end, they dont really have a rad support shown. Not sure how they deal with but I'm guessing its ghetto...

I'm going to build something very similar to this:

Unfortunately I dont have square dies for my bender so I'll be making lots of cuts and welding to make any curves but my rad support is pretty simple

Wes

Not sure how they deal with but I'm guessing its ghetto...

.... (gulp).......
      --ET
      62 Nova Convertible
      62 Nova Coupe

Wes,

Have you seen the aluminum radiator core support I built for my falcon?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
      Wes,

Have you seen the aluminum radiator core support I built for my falcon?
      No! How did I miss it? What page?

Wes

Looks like Bryce's solution is simple and effective. Unfortunately, it's difficult to see the detail of the construction from the thread photos.
      68 Mustang Convertible
      408 Stroker
      5 Speed
      Coil Over Suspension

I like Bryce's support from what I can see. I'll be using square tubing though, which makes mounting of pieces easier.

I think I found a supplier, there's a place in town that fab's tool boxes, Abulances etc and he'll sell me material. Hopefully he's reasonably priced. Sounds like he has all of the material I need (sheet and tubing).

Thanks guys.

Wes

I just found this site and was surfing the projects. I remember seeing your 67 Mustang a couple times on the Hot Rod Power Tour. I wish I would have had the chance to talk with you. I'm really impressed with your vision and skills. I had no idea how much work had gone into the car when I saw it from a distance. Are you going on the 2011 HRPT?
      Craig...Married to TARA, that makes me TARA-fied!

67 Mustang Coupe. Not Pro but certainly Touring!

I just read the whole thread from start to finish. Fantastic work!!

Quote Originally Posted by TARAfied View Post
      I just found this site and was surfing the projects. I remember seeing your 67 Mustang a couple times on the Hot Rod Power Tour. I wish I would have had the chance to talk with you. I'm really impressed with your vision and skills. I had no idea how much work had gone into the car when I saw it from a distance. Are you going on the 2011 HRPT?
      Thanks! Too bad we didnt get a chance to chat, you have a nice looking car there.

Ya, my car is really unimpressive when you look at the top side, LOL. Not that its super nice underneath like cars like Penny but looking underneath it changes people's perspective a bit. You should've seen the croud under my car at an autocross when I posted the 5th fastest time of the day, right ahead of an '09 Viper. Funny stuff. It was even funnier when I "showed off" my 175 hp 302 and C6 auto stuck in drive ;-)

No HRPT for me for a while. While it was the best trip I've ever had, I have a new baby coming in 2 weeks so my summer will be spent with him/her and my 17 month old... and some motorcycle trips, but dont tell my wife ;-) I may try to sneak away to Speedweek in Bonneville again for a couple of days as its only a long day's drive for me. My next HRPT will be me and my wife in the Mustang so probably a few years from now.

Thanks again,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by mplecha View Post
      I just read the whole thread from start to finish. Fantastic work!!
      Thanks man, I really appreciate it!

Wes

Thanks! Too bad we didnt get a chance to chat, you have a nice looking car there.

Ya, my car is really unimpressive when you look at the top side, LOL. Not that its super nice underneath like cars like Penny but looking underneath it changes people's perspective a bit. You should've seen the croud under my car at an autocross when I posted the 5th fastest time of the day, right ahead of an '09 Viper. Funny stuff. It was even funnier when I "showed off" my 175 hp 302 and C6 auto stuck in drive ;-)

No HRPT for me for a while. While it was the best trip I've ever had, I have a new baby coming in 2 weeks so my summer will be spent with him/her and my 17 month old... and some motorcycle trips, but dont tell my wife ;-) I may try to sneak away to Speedweek in Bonneville again for a couple of days as its only a long day's drive for me. My next HRPT will be me and my wife in the Mustang so probably a few years from now.

Thanks again,

Wes
      Actually I did think it was pretty sharp looking I just had no idea it was so sophisticated! Mine is no where near the level of yours. I understand the family comes first! Congratulations!
      Craig...Married to TARA, that makes me TARA-fied!

67 Mustang Coupe. Not Pro but certainly Touring!

Quote Originally Posted by TARAfied View Post
      Actually I did think it was pretty sharp looking I just had no idea it was so sophisticated! Mine is no where near the level of yours. I understand the family comes first! Congratulations!
      Thanks a bunch. This year it'll be fast too, I'm looking forward to it.

This weekend I WILL have the frame rails done and perminantly attached. Sleep be damned! I'm looking at closing in the frame rails to the rockers. I'll put my dimple die set to work!

Wes

Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 29 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com