Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Nice build. I like how you did so much of the work yourself, right down to tackling the transmission. Hell yeah.

Air/Hydraulic tube benders, Drill Press Reduction Kits, Die Sets, Tubing Notchers! All made in the USA

rod I just finished reading this entire build thread of yours and all I can say is wow. you have one awesome Camaro that I hope mine can be half as cool as. before I joined the site and saw your car I basically had your entire build as my idea in my head. thank you for all the detail and pictures here. youll basically be my how to build guide haha. awesome build

Just re-read all 28 pages and got so pumped to work on my 68 that I went and fired it up now that we're on the positive side of zero degrees for the first time in a few weeks!

Quick question though, is the Guldstrand mod worthwhile when using Tru-Turn spindles? I thought that those spindles obviated the need to do that mod? Also, are you running a rear tow hook or just for the front?

Thanks,
      Jim
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

Quote Originally Posted by camaroman1379 View Post
      rod I just finished reading this entire build thread of yours and all I can say is wow. you have one awesome Camaro that I hope mine can be half as cool as. before I joined the site and saw your car I basically had your entire build as my idea in my head. thank you for all the detail and pictures here. youll basically be my how to build guide haha. awesome build
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by camrat68 View Post
      Quick question though, is the Guldstrand mod worthwhile when using Tru-Turn spindles? I thought that those spindles obviated the need to do that mod? Also, are you running a rear tow hook or just for the front?

Thanks,
      Jim
      The nice thing about the Guldstrand mod is its a tuning aid and its easy to move the 4 bolts .... saying that..... here is why I use it, and I might put it back to stock sometime

the tall spindle is just right for the camber gain and 99.9% will be happy with that curve it creates ......by using the Guldstrand with the tall spindle it creates a jacking effect (the suspension acts like its is already in a camber curve) and this constant state of curve makes the car react quicker to inputs, but it requires a heavier front spring than normal, also because the guldstand moves the upper arm back it gives more caster ......most upper arms only give 2-3 degrees of caster and must combine with a lower that move the lower ball-joint forward to give another 1-2 degrees.... so most arms achieve 4-6 degrees total...pretty good for a car that only had 1-2 degrees in stock form...but the guldstand allows me to have a higher degree of caster......corvette Gm specs call for caster to be 6.4 to 7.4 degrees an my camaro is in that area

Im BAAAACK!

man I have not updated for a long time, so jane now! a few up dates I will go over a few

Where did you go?
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

so Jane is a relative budget build....and I am currenty building this

so money is being spent in other places than Plain Jane, and of course wanting to keep up and stay around the top at racing events, I needed to change things some to acomplish this I needed to do it without throwing a check book at the car.....so I once again put janey on scales, and started to reduce weight, first was the inner fender wells ....to heavy stock steel inners....out they go.... and yes jane is a real RS car but all that RS stuff is heavy, hinges, billit doors, reinforcment brackets, motors, mounting accesorises almost 30 Lbs in the RS light stuff so

from this

to this

60 pounds and change lighter on the front without inners and RS

next

so I huddled with Ron Sutton and had a few suspension change ideas I won't show them all (I have to keep some speed secrets) one was a small change to the lower control arms I moved the shock mount further out on the arm allowing the shock to react quicker to inputs

so I made a bolt in template/jig and some slugs to fit in the new location

bolted the jig in place

then scribed with an awl

then cut it out!

I test fit the slugs and filed the arm to have a close fit on each

then I made a small fitment jig from the shock bearing and spacers

then I TIG welded them into place.....give me a break im not any good at tig

I moved it outward 1-1/4 inch and couldnt go more because the outter arm will block the mounting bolt, so that was one small change, next was a cool weight reduction item on the rear suspension

Great build thread, you really put some perspective on the little mods that make a difference in the end

End of the year wrap!

As many of my friends prepare to compete in Scottsdale at the Goodguys Rod & Custom Association Duel in the Desert, I’m reflecting on my first complete year of racing since leaving California and feeling really great about my life out here but still missing one of my favorite autocross/friendship experiences out in Scottsdale.

I was fortunate to run 11 major events this year – Nashville and Bowling Green Goodguys, optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational at NCM Motorsports Park, Holley LS Fest, NSRA Spring at Springfield, MO, NSRA Nationals at Louisville, KY, Cars ‘n Cones, Cruisin the Smokies, and even managed to squeeze in some Kentucky Region SCCA.

The car performed flawlessly this year. Suzy took the brunt of a couple of mechanical issues (fuel pump, bad ignition) but those were easily fixed and didn’t make us miss too much time on the track. Most noticeable were the changes we made in the looks department for the optima event. We went further with the gold to gave Plain Jane a bit more of a Trans Am feel. Some gold wrap and carbon fiber tape and fresh wheels was my attempt to garner a few points in D&E on the outside and some aluminum Kirkey seats with fresh upholstery was the inside – I did finally fix my horn as well. I must have done or said something right because I managed to pull off 7th place in D&E – no idea how that happened with the crowd at that event. What I do know, however, is that I raced my ass off, because I really wanted to make a good showing for my sponsor Spectre Performance. The field was stacked with all the usual names and then some who only show up for the fun tracks, including Mark Stielow, Rob MacGregorr and Brian Finch. In the GTV class, I managed to surprise myself! I was top ten in all racing events! I made the podium for autocross coming in 3rd place, Finch was 2nd and Woo was tops that day

I came in 5th place in the Speed Stop and the biggest surprise of all: I came in 6th place on the Road Course Hot Lap Challenge! My little homebuilt Janie with her stock 350 horsepower on the twists and turns of NCM, came in 6th place! To say that event was a good weekend, was an understatement.

LS Fest was a blast and I managed to come in 17th at Beech Bend out of 150 which normally I wouldn’t feel so good about but Brian Finch came in 15th, so I’m okay with it. Beech Bend reminds me of Pleasanton Goodguys with its park filled with grass and trees – lots of bull****ting while sitting in the shade…just like Pleasanton.

Goodguys events hold a special place in my schedule. I always dig running Goodguys, regardless of how crowded or messed up they can get, they are our autocross family reunion. And, I can say with all honestly, they are succeeding at all they do to help us have fun. Goodguys has put more effort into the autocross than in years past and it shows. Great courses, great people running the fun and I felt like I got an exceptional amount of time on track this year. Out here in the Southeast we start our season at Nashville with a lot of fun and great crowd. I managed to come in 5th at Nashville, 6th at Columbus and 7th at Bowling Green. I am definitely feeling like I need to step up my Goodguys game and go pro in 2017 but that won’t change the fun for me if I don’t.

I have many friends in this sport and industry; you are my motivation and driving force to make those long hauls and show up for race day. Without many of you, I would not be able to do this. First and foremost I need to thank Spectre Performance and Michael Morrow. I have worked with Spectre since the early days long before K&N came to town and I appreciate all you continue to do for our sport and for me. This year’s contribution of twilight autocross at Columbus was AMAZING. Additionally, Evil Stig would never have been born without you.

I also need to thank Tanks Inc for the best damn notched LS tank out there, Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil for the highest performing oil for my LS truck motor on the market, Mr. Gasket/ ACCEL Performance Group for your purpose built electrical components that never fail me, Baer Brakes for the absolute best braking components in the industry (No way I would have performed so well at NCM Speed Stop without them!). Thank you Ron Sutton, for your continued encouragement and support of this hobby and for geeking out with me over suspension and tuning. K&N Filters allows Jane to breathe and clear her oil freely. Detroit Speed AND UMI Performance Inc.helped me keep the boat from rocking this year and BFGoodrich Tires kept Jane planted

I saved the best for last: Without the friends and friendships that Suzy and I have made since leaving California none of this would be remotely interesting. We have been so fortunate to fall into a community as rich and colorful as the one we left in California. Camp autocross and the Low Country Boil just get better and better and the trash-talk is at an all-time high. Forging these friendships with not only drivers but your families has made our life here amazing – I can hardly believe it’s only been a couple of years. Many of you helped Suzy when she broke down without me and I can’t tell you enough how trusting I was in her taking off in the car knowing you all had her back.

2017 will bring more events in general, and more for me with some vacation time on the books. I am looking forward to the addition of NSRA (more runs that you’ll get anywhere), LS Fest, Goodguys

Rod,

I went through all 28 pages... Again. Great thread. What radiator are you running? I can't find that info anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DJW32 View Post
      Rod,

I went through all 28 pages... Again. Great thread. What radiator are you running? I can't find that info anywhere.
      I was using a be cool radiator for almost 8 years now, and it just failed about 4 weeks ago, so I would say that they make a tough Rad

Rod, would you be willing to give us some info on how you fit the new wheels? Any spacers or adapters? If so, what thickness?

BTW - Your car is an inspiration to all of us who want to have real fun on a real budget. Keep fighting the good fight!

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsBlueCamaro View Post
      Rod, would you be willing to give us some info on how you fit the new wheels? Any spacers or adapters? If so, what thickness?

BTW - Your car is an inspiration to all of us who want to have real fun on a real budget. Keep fighting the good fight!
      I used XXR 552 rims with a 36mm offset, and to get an 18x10 rim I ended up using 5x100 bolt pattern (a much larger selection of wheel designs) and to make up the differance from 36mm to the 5.5 inch back space wanted, I used billet 1-1/4 adaptors .....275/35-18 tires

Awesome info! Thanks Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsBlueCamaro View Post
      Awesome info! Thanks Rod.

I forgot to mention all the fender lips are rolled ...the rears were a bitch from what I rememeber , I rolled them when I had the 9.5 rims on the car

Do you think the Cpp C5 spindles with 0.5" tall ball joints is a good setup or should I go taller/shorter?

(no guldstrand mad...yet)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanleiker View Post
      Do you think the Cpp C5 spindles with 0.5" tall ball joints is a good setup or should I go taller/shorter?

(no guldstrand mad...yet)
      if you have an 18 inch wheel it should fit, the real reason for that spindle is the ability to have the corvette style bearing, buy the best bearing you can
      .... I had fitment issues with an average 17x8 rim when I added a tall balljoint to that spindle because there isn't a drop built into the spindle ....(that would raise the wheel and allow more upper balljoint clearance )

2017 Plain Jane updates....

I have a few updates on Jane to roll into the season this year.......one big one is the addition of the Viking Berserker ASM (active shock management) system, here is a few shots of the parts and kit

rear piggy back shocks

front canister shocks

electronics package....main controller, corner controllers, wheel position sensors and steering sensor

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com