Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Help! Brake brackets won't fit on stock spindles?

Okay,

This is for a 1968 Camaro. Car was originaly an RS with disc brakes in the front.

This weekend we installed the new upper and lower control arms as well as installing the new CPP 13" disc brakes. The kit I purchased is supposed to work with stock spindles (or so I thought).

FYI (CPP also sells a kit that is designed to work with thier drop spindle as well.)

Everything went great until we went to install the brake bracket on the stock spindle and it looks like the boss for the upper anchor bolt sticks out about an 1/8 of an inch to far. As a result the brake bracket will not attach squarley to the spindle.

(see thumbnails below)

The CPP instructions are just about worthless, but I included a link to them here. I know that it says you should machine the boss .480 inches to make it fit but that is supposed to only be for drum brake spindles.

My stock spindles are from an O.E. disc brake car? Plus my spindles don't even look like the picture, my Boss is not "bumped" out.

http://www.classicperform.com/Instructions/PDF/6472WBK-13.pdf

I guess here is the real question

1: Can I just grind an 1/8th of an inch off that spindle tell the bracket fits?

2: If not do I need to buy a new spindle?

3: If I have to buy a new spindle might as well go for broke and by the ATS tall spindles will my CPP brakes work with those spindles?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images Attached Images    
      David
      1968 Camaro in many pieces

Country Flag: United States
      Are you sure that you don't need a washer/spacer at the bottom bolt to make it sit flush?
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

That was our first thought as well,

It didn't come with anything and there wasn't any mention of it in the instructions. Niether was there any stock spacer that came off the old setup.

The other issue is that if you push it out, or crank it down to fit then then the caliper will not be centered on the roter.

I put a washer in there and see what it does.
      David

Quote Originally Posted by 1968Maro View Post
      then the caliper will not be centered on the roter.

I put a washer in there and see what it does.
      I think you will want it to be centered over the rotor. Do the calipers have sliders or are they fixed?
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

The caliper is fixed.

Edit to my second post

"I will put a washer in there and see how it looks"
      David

The CPP instructions are just about worthless, but I included a link to them here. I know that it says you should machine the boss .480 inches to make it fit but that is supposed to only be for drum brake spindles.
      Are you sure they are factory disc brake spindles? I dont know how to tell to be honest, but it would be good to know for sure. I would not recommend using shims as the kit should fit correctly without modification.

The caliper is fixed.
      The calipers are the slider type.

In the April 08 issue of Chevy Rumble they did a CPP disc conversion on a 68 with factory drums. I don't know the difference between Camaro drum and disc spindles (I got a 63 Impala) but your spindles look very close to the ones in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by NOGO View Post
      Are you sure they are factory disc brake spindles? I dont know how to tell to be honest, but it would be good to know for sure. I would not recommend using shims as the kit should fit correctly without modification.

Usually the threads are just about flush with the boss.

You can have it machined to fit the bracket. Any competent machinist can do the job.

Vince
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com