Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Not much in the lines of fun pics to show for progress but here's where I'm at this morning.

Yesterday got my tube bender put together. Bought it from tubetek.net; they have a great price and their product is really good. I built a bench top base for it which worked out great yesterday.

Used it first to bend up some rear tubes that will pick up the rear lower control arms. I'm using tube clamps on the rear pickups in order to drop the entire rear-end, if needed, but I need to get two additional that should be here Friday. My original design only required using two tube clamps, but I changed it in order to make building the rear frame rails easier, which also simplified these tubes but now I need two additional clamps. The tubes are tacked in place until I can get the suspension mocked up against it and I know the fit is perfect.

Welded in the rest of the center section on the chassis, with exception of the support pieces that the floor will rest on. I'm waiting to put those in until I can test fit the chassis; I want to make sure the width is adequate for the trans and exhaust routing. This isn't a great picture to see it since the chassis is upside down but I'll try to get it flipped today.

My new inner rocker panels will be here tomorrow so I finished getting the drivers side ready for those, still need to lay down some weld thru primer but I'll get that today. Sure isn't much left of the original rocker, but this should work out perfect.

Had some problems with gas flow on the welder over the last few days so we spent a bunch of time getting that worked out. I noticed the problem while welding on my fishplates, they came out looking terrible so I had to grind everything down; hoping to get at cleaning those up a bit soon. Took a while to get it worked out but we fixed the issue (kink on the line inside the machine) and all is good now.

Today we are assembling my front lower A arms; we're tigging these together. My buddy Dave will be doing the tig work on these so I'm headed to his place shortly. After that, I'll come back and finish getting things ready new inner rockers and installing the chassis for the first time. Hopefully will be another productive day. I still have a lot to do in order to make this thing a roller before I leave but I believe I can do it, time will tell. More to come...
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

looking good
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

what is your plan for inside the rockers will? are you going to do away with the pinch weld?

Here is what I'm planning for the rocker. The pinch weld is already gone, in this picture the green represents the existing rocker and the red is the new inner rocker and the silver is the 2"x4" perimeter frame tube. My inner rockers will be here tomorrow. I had them bent up by Spohn. They have a large brake and I had these made as 1 piece rockers and are 7' long. I'll need to cut them down to about 6' 5". Should work out great! I hope to have them in this weekend and get the chassis in this weekend as well.

Will Ellis
      Build Thread

cool
      Craig...Married to TARA, that makes me TARA-fied!

67 Mustang Coupe. Not Pro but certainly Touring!

Quote Originally Posted by wellis77 View Post
      Here is what I'm planning for the rocker. The pinch weld is already gone, in this picture the green represents the existing rocker and the red is the new inner rocker and the silver is the 2"x4" perimeter frame tube. My inner rockers will be here tomorrow. I had them bent up by Spohn. They have a large brake and I had these made as 1 piece rockers and are 7' long. I'll need to cut them down to about 6' 5". Should work out great! I hope to have them in this weekend and get the chassis in this weekend as well.

are you butt welding the bottom of the inner and outer?

We had to cut the flange off the bottom of the inner rocker so it's not really a butt weld any longer, more of an outside corner weld.

I've got some pics I'll get up later but the inner rockers are tacked in place and the chassis is INSIDE the car. Unfortunately I have some warpage in the front and rear rails but we should be able to get that squared away tomorrow. Pics are coming soon...
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

What gauge are the inner rockers you had bent up?
      63 Fairlane 500
      07 Mustang GT Convt
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Bring-the-rain

I had them made out of 16 gauge and cut to 7'.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

In the midst of my crazy thrash, I'm still having parts show up. Picked up these sheet metal valve covers from Tim Bruning...

The inner rocker panels I had Spohn bend up...

Here are the lower control arms we built, have yet to put the mounts for shocks on...

Stripped the car down to nothing, again...

Built a rack for all my steel...

And now I have a roller...

Since that was my goal for this trip I guess I can go back to Switzerland now. Until Christmas 2011...
      Just kidding!

The frame is now sitting in the car...

I need to get some better pics tomorrow but my camera battery was tot. Tomorrow I'm completely welding the inner rockers, pulling the chassis out and laying down some rust bullet on the soon to NOT be exposed areas, then reinstalling the chassis, welding it to the table and, Lord willing, fixing the warpage in the rails. Pretty happy with the progress and I still have time to make this car a roller before I leave. More, and better pics, to come... I would like to add that I wouldn't be this far in the build without the help of a couple great guys, Dave and Jeff (droptop73). Thanks fellas, you are truly a blessing.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Great progress. Looking really good.

BTW, whats that white stuff on the ground?

Awesome project man! Love the way your going with it. Im in Kalamazoo, Hope to see it when its done! If you need a hand, let me know.
      1969 Pontiac GTO
      -The Nameless project.

0331, USMC, Semper Fi.

Wow.. I step away for a second to do some homework and take some tests and you have a full frame when I get back! Great work!
      Benjamin

Twin Dusters
      '72 Plymouth Duster "Aero Duster" project
      '72 Plymouth Duster "Daily Duster" project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...RO-DUSTER-quot

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. It means a lot and the encouragement keeps a guy moving, I'm sure you all know that.

Today it doesn't seem like much got done, but we made progress. We pulled the chassis out and welded in the inner rockers, put the chassis back in and straightened the front frame rails. I then got the front suspension in place and we designed some brackets to be laser cut for the control arm mounts. Should have those Monday and get those tacked in place. Hopefully we'll get the rear rails fixed Monday and can get the rear suspension mocked up so the brackets can be built for that. I didn't do a good job getting pics today, too busy busting my junk trying to get stuff done.

RicerwannaB, I"m here for another week and your welcome to by anytime. Otherwise I'll be back in December.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

You are doing an awesome job for a first time project of this magnatude. I'm guessing the time you have between periods you can actually work on this helps with research and thought/planning. Your Dart will turn out wonderful - keep up the good work.

I'll let you know when the laser work is done - hopefully by tomorrow PM!

Thanks Greg, I appreciate your words, your help, and especially the insight on what I can do to add additional rigidity to the chassis. I'm looking forward to getting these pieces and hopefully we can get some of the others put together as well over the next couple days. Talk to you soon!
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Got a bunch done today. Welded the chassis into the car, welded the rear tubes in, finished straightening the front & rear rails, started cutting and mocking up the mounts for the front bumper, reset the rear suspension in order to measure for mounts. Also got the first set of front suspension mounts delivered today. The rest of my mounts should be in tomorrow. BIG thanks to Greg (chopsmitty) for helping with these. Here are a few pics...

I have thought a few times over the course of this build that I never expected to see my car look like this...

The first step in putting together bumper mounts, these have a LONG way to go...

Resetting the rear suspension and the rear tubes that have been welded in...

And finally, the brackets Greg designed and cut for me. Tonight we took measurements for motor mounts as well as rear suspension. Still putting together a tube that will run between the LCA mounts...

Sorry for the dark pics, my wife leaves and all of a sudden I can't work the camera?

Hopefully I have another great day tomorrow getting the UCA mounts welded in, more work on the front bumper mounts, starting the rear bumper mounts, and begin adding some additional rigidity to the back-bone of the chassis. All of a sudden that's a big list. More to come...
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Got a bunch done today. Welded the chassis into the car, welded the rear tubes in, finished straightening the front & rear rails, started cutting and mocking up the mounts for the front bumper, reset the rear suspension in order to measure for mounts. Also got the first set of front suspension mounts delivered today. The rest of my mounts should be in tomorrow. BIG thanks to Greg (chopsmitty) for helping with these. Here are a few pics...

I have thought a few times over the course of this build that I never expected to see my car look like this...

The first step in putting together bumper mounts, these have a LONG way to go...

Resetting the rear suspension and the rear tubes that have been welded in...

And finally, the brackets Greg designed and cut for me. Tonight we took measurements for motor mounts as well as rear suspension. Still putting together a tube that will run between the LCA mounts...

Sorry for the dark pics, my wife leaves and all of a sudden I can't work the camera?

Hopefully I have another great day tomorrow getting the UCA mounts welded in, more work on the front bumper mounts, starting the rear bumper mounts, and begin adding some additional rigidity to the back-bone of the chassis. All of a sudden that's a big list. More to come...
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Car looks awesome in person, Cant wait to see it sitting on the ground.
      1969 Pontiac GTO
      -The Nameless project.

0331, USMC, Semper Fi.

Thanks Charlie. It was great meeting you yesterday, I appreciate you coming up. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your project; and hopefully I can get some pics up by Friday of this car on the ground. It's coming along. I'll post more of an update later.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com