Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Yeah, we talked about that too. The visual appeal is the major buzz-kill on that. Still not completely out of the question though because it may clear up other potential clearance issues I have with steering rack placement (though I am only estimating location for that now but will get that ordered up in February). It would probably be pretty easy also to swap my car stuff with someone who has the truck stuff. I would need to find something cool and creative to do with the intake but that could be for down the road; maybe some injection stacks???

Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

Injection stacks fit?.....depends on your hood plans, I suppose. Your build may be worth going with an intake from Precision metalcrafters, since it keeps the throttle body in front and looks way slick
      RobS
      71 Demon, 6.1hemi, paddled 4l65e, AlterK, Tri4,

Rob,
      If I remember correctly, wasn't your engine used to design the Hemi intake w/ Precision? I have yet to see pics of that intake on an engine, are there any out there? I'm curious how much height is added to the engine with that intake.

I was doing some thinking and remembered March Performance has a kit for the Hemi. It's pricey, but it looks like it would give me clearance for my engine accessories. I emailed them to get some specs/measurements on the relocation of the AC pump, PS pump, and alternator, but this could solve the accessory drive clearance issues and not force me to go solid mounts. Could also gain a bit of additional rack clearance.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

It was my intake, but Ned had it sent to Precision for modeling. PM sent

March's kit would probably make the packaging easier. It looks better than the stock 5.7's too
      RobS
      71 Demon, 6.1hemi, paddled 4l65e, AlterK, Tri4,

I haven't seen the March kit on an engine yet, but from the pics, I have to agree. Even though it's pricey, I'll probably ending up going that direction just because it will make packaging easier. Thanks for the PM.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

If you are worried about the Upper control arm have you thought about McPherson strut.Also over in the UK and europe there is a racing series touring car and there suspension I reckon only move's about an 1-2". The truck I'm running around in is only using about 2" and we have some bad roads.Sometime's you can go to deep it make's your head spin.Look at a formula 1 or indi car there more movement in the tyre when the car hits a bump than in the suspension and there only about 1 1/2" off the ground .If the suspension does not move that much then somethings don't come into play,like was mentioned dive did not really kick in till the second inch of movement I would be worried about bumpsteer,now thats a pain just thought, how much travel have the other cars got that you might compete against if that's the aim of the car,nice car by the way .

Thanks for the feedback Paul. I'm not too worried about the UCA any more. The shorter UCA gives enough clearance. My buddy Dave also successfully pie cut the SRT-8 headers and bent them in to gain almost an inch of clearance on the passenger side and about 5/8" on the drivers side. I'm also thinking about using an over/under DOM tube arrangement for the front rails which will give clearance for the steering rack. I will likely be shrotening the LCA's which will allow me to recess the shock mount and "should" allow me to clear the UCA with shockwave I'm looking to run and maintain the Viper's full suspension travel. Slowly getting it all figured out.

I hated leaving the first of January with so many lingering questions on my build but it has been such a benefit to step back and do some problem solving/planning. Thanks for all the feedback everybody, more coming in the very near future.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

What about running the alternator off the drive shaft? True, the car would have to be moving for the charging system to work, but it would free up what seems to be much needed space.

That is a good idea. With the IRS it would be easy.
      Jeff

73 Mustang Convertible

That is a good idea. How could I keep the "elements" out of the alternator? I would imagine dirt, road grime, and other nasty junk would raise havoc with an alternator. I've never seen this done so it's quite interesting...
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

I think I've seen this done before by street rodders. Several early cars have extremely narrow engine compartments, so they ended up running the alt off the driveshaft.
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

I like the idea and it would definitely save some valuable room, I'm just concerned about the longevity of an alternator exposed to those elements.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

it should be fine. this car will only be driven on nice days. so, youve gotta think. more airflow due to where its located, less concentrated heat to deal with, and even if you do get caught out in the rain, its a great once in a while, and the alternator is in the middle of the car, out of the line of direct spray. so, its really ot that much different than being in the engine bay.

my onlu concern would be traffic jams with the AC on, the stereo on, and the lights on.
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

You need to pay attention to how far you back down the boat ramp. :D
      Jeff

73 Mustang Convertible

Thanks for the reminder Jeff. No longer an option... I've got an idea for the front frame rails that may give needed clearance for a low mount alternator. Otherwise, the only other option for mounting on the engine is either switching to truck front cover/accessories/intake or using the March performance accessory drive. I'm not a huge fan of the styling on the March kit but it will easily give needed clearance.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

I think either way you decide to go it is not a huge issue to work around. I'm with you on the March stuff kinda "Street Rod" with the art deco styling on the ones I've seen.
      Jeff

73 Mustang Convertible

Almost go time, again!!! Can't wait to get back to town Sunday for my three week mega thrash! Parts are stacking up, mostly stuff to build my LCA's. While I will likely not need the amount of articulation provided, I have a bunch of Del-Spere Pivot Joints coming (enough for front and rear LCA's), some Howe Precision ball joints already in house, motor mounts coming, trans mount in house, picking up some DOM tube upon arrival along with my rear-end.

I ordered my Del-Sphere's direct from Spohn and found out they have a HUGE metal brake so I am having them CNC bend some one piece inner rocker panels that should be there when I arrive Sunday. I still need to order some rod ends for my rear steering arms but I'm not sure what size so I'll have to wait for that. I'll need to pick up some extra steel for mocking things up in place as well. The plan is set and Lord willing I'll have a rolling chassis in 4 weeks. Once that is finished I can get measurements taken for my custom Rick's tank and Charlie's oil pan for later this year. Planning to buy a small tig machine later this year also (oh yeah, got a new job at IBM so I get a few xtra bucks a month for car parts/tools) and start on some body work and exhaust routing next Christmas... One step at a time though, install inner rockers while getting front and rear suspension finalized, build LCA's and reset front and rear suspension, get this chassis built, attach to car, set on the floor, install trailer hitch (why not...). Got a full plate but I also have a lot of time since the entire trip is planned for car building. Should be a lot of fun!
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Has it been 6 weeks already? WOW
      Jeff

73 Mustang Convertible

That is a bitchen build! Nice!
      Rich Bermea
      Road Touring Customs
      roadtouringcustoms.com
      [email protected]

Hey Jeff, it's definitely been 6 weeks already. Amazing how time flies huh? I've got a TON of running around to do today (gotta pick up some DOM, my rear-end, some additional square and rectangular tube, etc, etc) so I doubt I'll get any work done, but tomorrow it's going to get crazy up in here! Are you around at all the next 3 weeks? Feel free to come by whenever.

Thanks for the comments Rich. I'm looking forward to getting rolling on this again.

Ahhhh, good to be home...
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com