Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 454bug View Post
      Great job on the rearend cover Will!

Awesome project and I applaud your patience while being overseas... I think I would have TOO much time to "think" about my project...

Are you going to be able to operate your vehicle at that stance or will you have an airbag suspension on it? It looks great at that ride height but I was wondering if your front could turn at that height...
      Thanks Ray, that means alot after following your build. I definitely do have TOO much time on my hands, which is how the project has evolved from a, "new RMS front and rear suspension with some simple mods" to "what the crap are you doing???"

I will be able to operate the car at this height. We (droptop 73 [Jeff], myself, and another guy [Bob], set it up with clearance at full compression / full lock. Shouldn't be any problems. I am planning to run air as well but I need to get some specs from ridetech in order to figure out if they'll fit between the new control arms... The control arms are pretty small.
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ZuperZport View Post
      This build is too cool!

Awesome to see a project taken to a whole new level of craftsmanship and originality.

Keep up the great work.
      Thanks ZuperZport. I appreciate the encouragement.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

dude, keep it up. this thing will be insane!

and im amazed that you only have a 2 week vacation a year to work on it. you mnust have a very understanding famly.
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

Thanks Michael. Two weeks a year is pretty SUCK, but I get 3 weeks by myself in February. Meaning, I can work up to 24 hours a day on it if I can stay awake. Should get TONS done then.

Today's update:

Doesn't seem like much was accomplished today but we got some done. Pics will come tomorrow since the camera is still in the garage. To summarize though, we put the engine/trans in the car and located it where I think I want it. This took some time because we had to shorten the input shaft to get the bellhousing to pull in tight to the block. The new control arms are pretty much all good, though I now have some clearance problems with the alternator. We think we can use the SRT-8 manifolds I bought off Chris by pie cutting the manifolds near the header flange, bending them down, and tigging them up. Got nothing to lose by trying. Once the engine/trans were in place we mocked up the floor height in the car and set the seat in it to figure out what I'll have for head room. This is a big deal since I'm almost 6'6". Viper seats are WAY comfy!!! Then started planning and laying out frame rails. Can't really do the fronts yet because I need to check the suspension geometry with the shorter control arms first. Since I'm running out of time, that may have to wait until February. Also can't really start the rear rails since I need to rear end back in order to see how high I need to kick the rear rails up to clear the differential. I may have some measurements stashed away that will help me with that. If so, I'll get the rear rails going tomorrow. I did cut the drivers inner rocker and pull it since the frame perimeter will be going into the rocker. Started cutting the passenger but couldn't finish before I had to call it quits for the night.

Long story short, alot of work went into planning and problem solving (more to be done there still), and only a little physical work. I'll get some pics up tomorrow for y'all to check out. I'm whooped and finally going to bed...
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Really liking this build! Gonna be unique for sure.
      '66 Mustang
      '67 FireBird https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...light=firebird
      '68 Barracuda
      '69 Mustang Mach 1
      '97 Mustang Cobra
      '04 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by wellis77 View Post
      ...Once the engine/trans were in place we mocked up the floor height in the car and set the seat in it to figure out what I'll have for head room. This is a big deal since I'm almost 6'6"...
      Ah, someone else on here whose tall haha. Im 6'5" and all i did to the duster was move the seat mounts back a couple inches and i have more then enough room; im looking rite through the middle of the windshield too. Of course you dont really have a floor to work with rite now... Keep up the good work, this thing is awesome already, im excited to see it come together!
      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

Nice job Will. The project is coming along! Get with me again in Feb. when you are back, I should have some more time and hopefully can help with what ever you may need.

Thanks Greg. I'll definitely do that.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Well, today is the last day I have to work on the car. Unfortunately I really won't be doing much on it. I have to get the garage cleaned back up so the other half of it can actually be used again. Yesterday's progress was limited, but still progress. I got the rocker panels opened up and trimmed back so I can slide the perimeter of my chassis into the rocker. I then wire wheeled the inside of it and laid down some Rust Bullet to prevent anything in the future. I was pleasantly surprised to find mostly surface rust inside; might be the only place on the car that was so nice... I am planning to box the rocker in with 16 ga. and was hoping to do it yesterday but the steel supply yard was not open, so that will unfortunately have to wait until I return in 6 weeks.

While I was working on the rockers, I started cutting tube for the chassis. I've got about half of it cut so far but have to wait until I have the front suspension set to determine what the front rails will look like.

I also downloaded a trial copy of Performance Trends Suspension Analyzer and put in my current points with the new UCA's as close to the stock Viper as possible, just further outboard by about a 1.5". I started a thread HERE to get some feedback on the results thus far but I plan to play a little bit with it and try the optimize function to see what it offers with current parts or if I'll need to build some LCA's to get better geometry and match the UCA's. At first it was a bit intimidating, but the video's Performance Trends has on their site are helpful and I finally got my junk in order on it.

That's it for now. I'll grab a couple more pics today as I get things taken care of, but that's where I stand (sit) for now.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

looking good, love the project

Thanks Joe.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Intense build........ I dig it
      RobS
      71 Demon, 6.1hemi, paddled 4l65e, AlterK, Tri4,

Hanging out in the Grand Rapids airport waiting to board and fly back to Switzerland, already looking forward to coming back 6 weeks from today. Had a great 2 weeks of working on the car, and while I didn't get everything on my list checked off (who does really, let's be honest), I was still able to get a lot completed. I would not have been able to get as much completed without the help of a couple guys, Dave and Jeff (droptop73). Without these two, I would still be stuck on what to do do about front suspension. Their help and guidance has helped resolve problems, bring about new ideas, and just have fun in the garage. Thanks guys!!!

Over the next 6 weeks I'm going to be doing some more reading up on suspension design and make sure I've got everything figured out with the new UCA's before I solidify their location and get the front rails built. After my next trip, I hope to have a rolling chassis.

Thanks for everybody's help, support, and encouragement on this website. Here is where we stand today and for the next 6 weeks...

Will Ellis
      Build Thread

It was good to meet you Will, you made some great progress in just 2 short weeks. It is inspiring what you are doing in a 2 stall garage.

See you in a few weeks.
      Jeff

73 Mustang Convertible

wish i had a few friends like that. anybody on here from northern illinois? lol

I just noticed....you going to mount the alternator before building the frame/suspension I assume? Going to be a point of interference on that 6.1
      RobS

Very cool build and amazing what you accomplish in short stretches.
      Tom

sweet build, 6 weeks will be tough to wait to see some more progress

Thanks Jeff, looking forward to getting the "band" back together in a few weeks.

Rob, the alternator is definitely a point of interference. We've already talked about modding the front cover to pull it in tighter. Another option we discussed was using solid mounts for the engine and bolting the alternator to the frame. That would definitely eliminate the interference but I want to exhaust all other possibilities before I move to solid mounts... it is primarily a street car after all.
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Not the most visually appealing, but as you probably know the truck 5.7's mount the accessories up top giving you a bunch more room. The front covers are the same 6.1/5.7
      RobS

Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com