Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      It sure looks like there is MUCH more room now than there was with the Viper frame section in there. Shortening the arms may be worth considering if the engine placement doesn't work out. IMO widebody would ruin the lines. There IS a way to make it work... don't ever tell a gearhead something won't work.

BTW I have Thursday off this week with nothing planned IIRC. I'll try to get over and lend a hand.

Jeff

73 Mustang Convertible

I agree with you Jeff. I think we can make this work. I spent some time looking it over and I think there will be more room than it looks once the other side is in.

I'll be there all day Thursday and you're more than welcome to come by. I'd love to have you.
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

I also agree with you Benjamin, I haven't seen a good looking wide body Dart. I've seen one wide body Dart in fact, and it looked terrible, IMHO. I had Shawn do some wide body options on my rendering and it just didn't flow. Jeff is absolutely right, the lines don't support it well at all. A shop like JCG or Ironworks could possibly make it work and look good...
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Dude great progress.

About the only way that I would see a widebody dart looking good, is something like they did here:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...con/index.html

Whack it down the middle and add width as needed. But doing it that way would destroy the light, lithe look of the dart. The other option would be slit the top of the fender, door, and quarter and add the width there. That would be hard to do, but also very hard to pinpoint what you did.
      Benjamin

Twin Dusters
      '72 Plymouth Duster "Aero Duster" project
      '72 Plymouth Duster "Daily Duster" project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...RO-DUSTER-quot

You could always put a slant 6 with a turbo in it, that should fit between those A arms! Nice project!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjkadron View Post
      About the only way that I would see a widebody dart looking good, is something like they did here:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...con/index.html

Whack it down the middle and add width as needed. But doing it that way would destroy the light, lithe look of the dart. The other option would be slit the top of the fender, door, and quarter and add the width there. That would be hard to do, but also very hard to pinpoint what you did.
      I completely agree with you on this Ben. This is the only way I think it would look good, I just don't see that as a viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by 67autocross View Post
      You could always put a slant 6 with a turbo in it, that should fit between those A arms! Nice project!
      I talked about this with the couple guys that were helping me, but we decided against it...
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Updates from today...

Got the passenger side suspension locked down...

Finished rough cutting the rest of the floor and uni-body...

Once I get the rear suspension mocked up I'll start cleaning up the cuts with a cutting disc and grinding disc before I start getting things measured up for the chassis. Tomorrow I'll be getting the engine set in the engine bay to see what we have and what the next steps are. I'll also be getting the rear suspension mocked up and hopefully get it locked into position. I've already started assembling it but plan to get it finished up tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments and ideas guys. They help me make sure I'm thinking every possible option through. See y'all tomorrow!
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Gosh, That is really tight in the engine bay.. How many inches between the UCA's?
      Oh the bright side, That invisible paint job you've done on the back is amazing!!! haha. Seriously though... I might get a little queasy when it comes time to cut that much out of my Duster.
      Benjamin

Twin Dusters

...Sweat jesus thats a lot of cutting!! I didnt think you were going to get rid of that much metal, looking like its all going in the rite direction though, keep it up, good luck!!
      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

Today's update...

Got the engine set in place. Not exactly where I want it but it told me what I needed to know... Control arms aren't going to work. (I pretty much knew that but was hopeful anyway). I ordered a set of universal uppers from AFCO today which will be at my place tomorrow and I'll do somemore checking. I'm going to download the trial of suspension analyzer and see if I can still use the stock lowers or if I'll need to build my own. No worries though, it's all good! On with the pics.

It's been a long time since an engine has been in this engine bay; I LIKE IT!!! I'll be setting it back into the firewall a few inches so this is not the final location, just put it in to check clearance of the A-arms.

After that I moved on to the rear suspension and got the driver side locked down. I'll remove the Viper frame rails then get the passenger side tomorrow morning before moving on to playing again with the front suspension.

This is a whole lot of meat in my little car...
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Gosh, That is really tight in the engine bay.. How many inches between the UCA's?
      Oh the bright side, That invisible paint job you've done on the back is amazing!!! haha. Seriously though... I might get a little queasy when it comes time to cut that much out of my Duster.
      22 inches... Not enough! I did get a little queasy cutting all that out. My wife came by the garage and said, "where's the car?" the best was "do you know what you're doing?" My response, "the rest of the car is on the trailer outside," and "not really, but I'll figure it out..."
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Awesome! When you get moving you really get moving! If you could figure out a way to beam the exhaust out you could probably use the stock viper UCA's haha! What suspension analyzer are you talking about? Also are those the viper springs and shocks next to it?

Great progress! I love the huge tires and the stance!!!
      Benjamin

Twin Dusters

Thanks Ben. I would love to use the stock Viper UCA's, that stuff is real nice but it's very heavy. I'll be picking up an extra 3.5" between the control arms so I'll have plenty of clearance to squeeze the engine but I will likely have to build my own headers still. The flanges on the SRT-8 manifolds I have are huge so I may be able to use them still. We'll see. The shocks/springs you see are from the Viper. I'm planning to use Ride-Tech shockwaves all around so I'll be selling stuff soon.

The suspension analyzer I'm talking about is the performance trends version. Do you have it? Any recommendations?
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Not a whole lot of pics to show from today. Got the passenger side rear suspension jigged up. Took FOREVER!!! It's done though and all the suspension is in place until I get my new uppers and screw all that up again. I'll get to screwing that up tomorrow.

The other thing I (we) got done today is I narrowed the rear-end cover and had a friend tig it up for me. Came out great and now will fit perfectly between the rear frame rails.

More tomorrow!
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Looking good Will!
      Jeff

73 Mustang Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by wellis77 View Post
      Thanks Ben. I would love to use the stock Viper UCA's, that stuff is real nice but it's very heavy. I'll be picking up an extra 3.5" between the control arms so I'll have plenty of clearance to squeeze the engine but I will likely have to build my own headers still. The flanges on the SRT-8 manifolds I have are huge so I may be able to use them still. We'll see. The shocks/springs you see are from the Viper. I'm planning to use Ride-Tech shockwaves all around so I'll be selling stuff soon.

The suspension analyzer I'm talking about is the performance trends version. Do you have it? Any recommendations?
      Yeah, the cast aluminum stuff is heavier than you would think...

No, I actually don't have a suspension program. I would like to, but I don't have the time or money for anything serious. I just have an Excel spreadsheet set up to do 3-link calculations, and I'm working with Bryce on my front. You might want to see what program he runs.
      Benjamin

Twin Dusters

Great job on the rearend cover Will!

Awesome project and I applaud your patience while being overseas... I think I would have TOO much time to "think" about my project...

Are you going to be able to operate your vehicle at that stance or will you have an airbag suspension on it? It looks great at that ride height but I was wondering if your front could turn at that height...
      Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

This build is too cool!

Awesome to see a project taken to a whole new level of craftsmanship and originality.

Keep up the great work.
      Scott
      1967 Camaro SS/RS

Test Runs:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TuthZr_vEM

...I'm working with Bryce on my front. You might want to see what program he runs.
      I may have to check with Bryce to find out what he's using. I received my new uppers today and they are WAY lighter and definitely ALOT shorter so the engine should definitely fit. I'll find out tomorrow...
      Will Ellis
      Build Thread

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com