Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

67-69 Firebird/Camaro

Has anybody used the shell of a firebird to build them a camaro? Im relatively new to the camaros and was wondering if everything was exact other than looks?

I have a 69 Firebird and there are a whole lot of differences. Back in the 60's the divisions of GM were competing with each other so even though the body style is similar, Pontiac wanted to separate itself from Chevy so they had their own motors, rear ends, steering, ignition switches, interior designs and so forth. I've found alot of this stuff out the hard way. If you want a Camaro then do youself a big favor and start with one. I'd love to see another Firebird on the road though and you'll stand out. I recently went to a pretty big car show in Ft Worth and I saw about 1 bird for every 50 or so Camaros. I actually didn't see a single 69 Firebird at all. I do love the Camaro and we could never have too many.

Dude if you start with a Firebird keep it a Firebird. No sense in changing your car that much. If you want a camaro start with one would definitely be much cheaper in the end.
      Chris Smock aka Blazed67
      1967 Firebird Convertible- Tough Luck- never ending
      2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T- the new DD
      2006 Suzuki SV1000R- greatly missed

I had a 67 Camaro and had a 67 Firebird. The shell is similar. The rear is different but I believe that you could put a rear body panel and it would weld up OK. The partial quarters should fit in place also. I had an extra door from the bird and put it on the Camaro and the lines seemed to match up pretty well although I had it reskinned. The Firebird rearend had a traction bar on the passenger side welded on to it. you would have to do something to the body to make that setup fit. I believe the front subframe would work but you would need different motor mounts because the pontiac motors set back towards the firewall more. SO if the body already needs rear quarters then you might need to replace only the taillight panel to make it the same.

Mike

thanks for the input guys. on another note i have found a good deal on a 67 camaro shell but i like the looks of the 69. What are the differences between the two years shells? What would it take to get the look of a 69 out of a 67 shell?

Dude.. change a 67 firebird to a 69 camaro!!... do it!!

Country Flag: United States
      My question is, why?

Dude WHYNOT?!?!... man.. a 69 camaro out of a 67 FIREBIRDS?!?!

hurry up man!!!..

i no longer will atempt the firebird idea, but what about the 67 camaro shell? what needs to be changed to have the appearance of a 69?

everything but the roof, hood, and trunk lid.

Mr. Vengeance, dude, that napoleon dynamite dude, ruffin' up the suspect gif, is just WRONG! ( plus your scary face picture disturbs me for some reason)
      Steve N
      69 Camaro RS, LT1/T56, Chassisworks front clip,Fab 9 rear. DSE deep tubs. 18x9 & 18x12 Welds, 265 & 335 Pilots

Video clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NGU0o7oJzE

Quote Originally Posted by cdhc10 View Post
      Has anybody used the shell of a firebird to build them a camaro? Im relatively new to the camaros and was wondering if everything was exact other than looks?
      SACRILEGE! Actually, I've been known to install Pontiac 455's in Z-28s but I would never start out a project trying to convert one into the other. Lots of differences and the car will have less value to both camps. It can be done as I've seen at least one local Firebird with a complete Camaro front end on it. Just looks goofy to me. Pick one brand and go for it, can't go wrong either way.
      All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by cdhc10 View Post
      i no longer will atempt the firebird idea, but what about the 67 camaro shell? what needs to be changed to have the appearance of a 69?
      To switch a 67 to a 69 is much harder than a 68 to a 69. The 67 door hinges and locations are different, so you'd have to change the door hinge anchors on the body. Of course there's also the need to change all the front sheetmetal, rear quarters, tail panel, and doors.
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Quote Originally Posted by Steve N 69 69 69 View Post

Mr. Vengeance, dude, that napoleon dynamite dude, ruffin' up the suspect gif, is just WRONG! ( plus your scary face picture disturbs me for some reason)
      yYEAAAAHHH!!! BEAT IT UUUPP!!!

and did you know that picture is really me.. no wonder i scare my wife.

has anybody on the board attemted this change? either one 67 to 69 or 68 to 69??

yes.. you have.

or thats at least Marty McFly told me last week.

i am asking a serious question, if its not feasable or a stupid idea just tell me i can take it.

IMO , keep the 67 a 67 , if you want a 69 , find one . . . it'll save you more $ and a lot less headache, Good luck on whatever you want to build .
      Camaro

Tony is correct, the hinge pillar on the 69 creates a big issue. Other then that, it can be done with outer body sheetmetal.

at this point all that i would have is the 67 shell. If i wanted to do this i would need to change the rear quarters and the door hinges and it would basically be a 69 shell. Am i understanding this correct?

or change the location of the door hinges to match that of a 69 door

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com