Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

1964 1/2 Mustang perfect restoration (pro touring)?

I know most of us are chevy guys, but...

About 10 years ago my then 85 year old grandfather had a 1964 1/2 convertible Mustang faithfully restored to original condition by a body shop in Tampa Florida. He is now 95 and his health is failing and he has given the car to me.

The car has won several car shows in Florida and is so intricately restored that it has all the factory warning labels on it in just the right places, the original refurbished door strikers and door locks, everything. Numbers matching, paint correct, you name it.

Well here is the problem, it is AWFUL to drive! It has the original 289ci that is sluggish and unresponsive. I really think it has the original springs that were refurbished and repainted because it rolls like a boat on the ocean. Mono leaf rear end, with period correct shocks, yuck!

It was my grandfathers and he really wanted me to have it, but the car is NO fun to drive. I hate trailer queen cars, and I don't want to sit at car shows.

1) I can pro-tour it, and destroy the all original restoration.

2) I can sell it or swap it

3) I can make minor changes to the car to improve it. Which begs the question what can I swap out / bolt on that won't ruin the all original theme? The biggest issues with the car are the awful body roll and horribly tame motor. (My entry level V6 4 runner could run circles around this thing off the line, trust me that’s sad)

If I don’t do something with it I will never drive it.

Just so you know the car is nothing special, it’s not the first out of the factory or anything.
      David
      1968 Camaro in many pieces

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com