Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1964 1/2 Mustang perfect restoration (pro touring)?

I know most of us are chevy guys, but...

About 10 years ago my then 85 year old grandfather had a 1964 1/2 convertible Mustang faithfully restored to original condition by a body shop in Tampa Florida. He is now 95 and his health is failing and he has given the car to me.

The car has won several car shows in Florida and is so intricately restored that it has all the factory warning labels on it in just the right places, the original refurbished door strikers and door locks, everything. Numbers matching, paint correct, you name it.

Well here is the problem, it is AWFUL to drive! It has the original 289ci that is sluggish and unresponsive. I really think it has the original springs that were refurbished and repainted because it rolls like a boat on the ocean. Mono leaf rear end, with period correct shocks, yuck!

It was my grandfathers and he really wanted me to have it, but the car is NO fun to drive. I hate trailer queen cars, and I don't want to sit at car shows.

1) I can pro-tour it, and destroy the all original restoration.

2) I can sell it or swap it

3) I can make minor changes to the car to improve it. Which begs the question what can I swap out / bolt on that won't ruin the all original theme? The biggest issues with the car are the awful body roll and horribly tame motor. (My entry level V6 4 runner could run circles around this thing off the line, trust me that’s sad)

If I don’t do something with it I will never drive it.

Just so you know the car is nothing special, it’s not the first out of the factory or anything.
      David
      1968 Camaro in many pieces

Country Flag: United States
      yuo sure about the 289, not a 260? Not that there is really much difference between a 260 and a C code 289.

Body roll is the sway bars. Easy bolt on that doesn'r affect value and can easily be reversed (but why?).
      Springs and shcks fall in this same category. Easy to swap and non permanent. If you don't mind a few extra holes a UCA relocation and GW arms could easily fit the bill. Also, make sure the power assist ram is working properly if so equipped. swapping to higher duriometer bushings or solid. There are even GT style repros in 16 an 17 inch sizes which will bolt right up and look period correct.

From there a cam, head and intake swap can really wake up a 289. 325-350 horse depending on combo, maybe more but you'd lose streetability.

C-4 I assume? They work well and I am sure there are freeway gears in an open diff out back.

Boy I am getting carried away.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

pro-tour it.....

Kind of left out a really big question.

If its factory perfect now will pro-touring it ruin it, or the potential sale value?

Would it be a horriable thing to do to such a faithfully restored car, should I give it to a good home and rebuild one that somebody has already cut up?

thanks
      David
      1968 Camaro in many pieces

With everything being basically stock, a larger front sway bar and a set of roller spring perches would do wonders for the car. The Shelby/Arning drop of the UCA is not going to make a huge difference in a stock suspension.

Rick C.
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541371/4

Used to be known as PonyCar'68

I would go with a lowered stance. 16x8 wheels and 245/50/16 tires on all four corners. Shelby/arning drop. Full roller front suspension, spring perches and control arm mounts. Use opentracker as a source. Maybe even the adjustable strut bar with rodend fitting. Subframe connectors from TCP. Rear suspesnion could use a panhard bar from maier or watts link from Fays. I would run varishocks double adjustable "bolt in" shocks all the way around.

Keep the exterior and interior stock for now. Just make it fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon65 View Post
      I would go with a lowered stance. 16x8 wheels and 245/50/16 tires on all four corners. Shelby/arning drop. Full roller front suspension, spring perches and control arm mounts. Use opentracker as a source. Maybe even the adjustable strut bar with rodend fitting. Subframe connectors from TCP. Rear suspesnion could use a panhard bar from maier or watts link from Fays. I would run varishocks double adjustable "bolt in" shocks all the way around.

Keep the exterior and interior stock for now. Just make it fun to drive.
      +1 on Opentracker, John's knowledge and products are top notch!
      http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/

Rick C.

Sell it!!
      A 64.5 Vert is worth to much to cut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      1968 F100 sb full vic chassis swap
      1965 Mustang coupe 347 5 spd cheap touring SOLD
      2003 Porsche 996 Outlaw LS2 swap SOLD
      1992 Lexus SC400 daily SOLD
      1966 Porsche 912 Outlaw SOLD
      1968 Ford F-100 sb SOLD

Sell it and get something that you would enjoy.

I would keep it and do bolt on changes. Keep all the orig parts and drop in a crate engine

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgenhunter View Post
      I would keep it and do bolt on changes. Keep all the orig parts and drop in a crate engine
      X2. It would be a shame to cut that car up and it would likely break your grandfather's heart. I'm also guessing it would destroy the value of the car.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Unless sentimental value is holding you back sell it. Sounds like to nice a restoration to mess with.
      Robert Banks

If it's truly original and restored, and you have (or get) the Marti report, don't mess with it. "Maybe" bolt-on changes that can be easily put back to stock with no evidence whatsoever of the change, but nothing else. I would not even remotely consider PT for it.

IMHO, knowing that your grandpap spent so much effort getting it factory correct, modifying it would be no different than selling it. My preference would be to either:

1) Keep it as is, and build a different PT project starting with something not having either historical, monetary or emotional value.
      2) Keep it as is and if you don't have the extra money for another project, enjoy the experience of such a classic that was passed down from your grandpap.
      3) Sell it to somebody who will maintain it the way it should be maintained and use the money for something you would enjoy more.

Just my perspective.

Marti reports are not available on pre '67 cars.

Rick C.

if you can't cope with the restored pony plz out of respect for the effort and love your grandad put into the car don't cut it up.
      I would suggest you sell the car to someone who appreciates it and
      then find yourself a better slug to take down the pro-tour runway.
      david
      68 camaro 350 SS convertible ala prodigy customs
      - its as much about the journey as it is the destination

keep it original!!! pt a 65 !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PonyCar'68 View Post
      Marti reports are not available on pre '67 cars.
      I didn't know that. Good to know, and thanks. I wonder why they can't do anything prior to '67?

The documents prior to '67 were destroyed by Ford. When Marti cut the deal with Ford for the documents all that remained were the '67 and up.

Rick C.

Sell it, don't deface it. By the sound of it, you can make a considerable amount of money on it, enough to buy and modify alot of nice cars.
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by PonyCar'68 View Post
      The documents prior to '67 were destroyed by Ford. When Marti cut the deal with Ford for the documents all that remained were the '67 and up.
      Interesting stuff. Thanks! I knew they contracted for '67 and above, but never knew why. Thanks for the explanation!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com