Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Sell it.
      Buy what YOU want.

Country Flag: United States
      My case, I still have my '62 Ford F-100. It was my grandfather's. He left it to me. I may never get a chance to do what I want with it (and keeping it stock is NOT part of that). But then again, even my grandpa didn't leave it stock. he yanked the 292 Y-block in favor of a 390 FE. The 3 speed manual was swapped for a C6. The rear was fitted with 3.73s in the 8.8. Heck, grandpa was a hot rodder. My plans are different than his, but it is mine now. What I will always have is what he gave me, the truck. Conditions of a vehicle change over time, ownership and memories are what matter.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I have been thinking long and hard about it and I am going to keep it and modify it.

I have had the opportunity to drive the car for several years now, and it even spent last summer in my garage. Unfortunately every time I drove it was kind of a boring experience, so I quit driving it. I want to keep it for sentimental reasons but it has got to get more exciting or it will be a dust collector for the rest of my life.

I am currently hip deep in my Camaro and have sunk to much money in it to do anything drastic with the mustang right now. There are lots of little things I can do to wake it up, and the first thing I am doing is pull that 289 and figure out why it is so tired. I agree with some of your comments that the 289 can be a hell of an engine.

The stock manifold and cam are probably the biggest problem, but being that I don't know much about the 289 I would love to hear your suggestions.

Going to replace the bushings (where I can get at them) and I will try to dig up a new set of cheap multi leaf springs to replace the mono.

My Grandfather will be happy to know it’s not going anywhere; maybe I can give it to my grandkids.

Unless Comrade Pelosi has outlawed gasoline then.
      David
      1968 Camaro in many pieces

Quote Originally Posted by 1968Maro View Post
      Thanks for all the advice guys!

I have been thinking long and hard about it and I am going to keep it and modify it.

I have had the opportunity to drive the car for several years now, and it even spent last summer in my garage. Unfortunately every time I drove it was kind of a boring experience, so I quit driving it. I want to keep it for sentimental reasons but it has got to get more exciting or it will be a dust collector for the rest of my life.

I am currently hip deep in my Camaro and have sunk to much money in it to do anything drastic with the mustang right now. There are lots of little things I can do to wake it up, and the first thing I am doing is pull that 289 and figure out why it is so tired. I agree with some of your comments that the 289 can be a hell of an engine.

The stock manifold and cam are probably the biggest problem, but being that I don't know much about the 289 I would love to hear your suggestions.

Going to replace the bushings (where I can get at them) and I will try to dig up a new set of cheap multi leaf springs to replace the mono.

My Grandfather will be happy to know it’s not going anywhere; maybe I can give it to my grandkids.

Unless Comrade Pelosi has outlawed gasoline then.
      I suggest a 3:89/1 rear gear and an AOD transmission. Almost all of the 289 2V cars got a really low performance 2.8/1 ring and pinion.
      The AOD gives you the same ratio 1st, 2nd and 3rd as the C-4 but you have an overdrive.
      Find a 5.0 roller motor, pull the original motor and seal it up, put it in the corner. The HO 5.0 motor will run circles around the stocker 289 and is a drop-in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com