Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 78 Silverado - Undecided on what route to go - pics

Hi all, I bought a '78 Silverado a ways back with the intention of lowering it on bags, and completing the look with 18-20" TTIIs, small mirrors, and a sport rear bumper while keeping the rest stock.

When I bought the truck, it had 18000 miles on it. It's about 95-98% original but has a few "rough edges" on it (AC needs new compressor, some paint blemishes, a few underside/body imperfections, etc). Anyhow, three years later and it has 25k miles (been sitting for last year accruing 250 miles) and is still the same save for two things - I put factory manifolds back on and fixed the exhaust and also put a bedlid and rug in to protect the back. Basically, I couldn't bring myself to c-notch the frame or even do a regular drop on it (no c-notch). The truck received a lot of attention bone stock, partly because it's a stock 73-87 which in itself is extremely rare.

I'm still torn on the thing... and I'm trying to decide between the following:

A - Go through with the drop and "pro touring" look as I planned and make it a show/fair weather driver
    B - Keep it original and restore bits and pieces as time goes on and drive it a little more
    C - Sell it (prob. taking small hit, not even sure what it's worth though) and buy a less original truck to customize

Here's some pictures, and below I have some photochops as examples of "custom" routes; it photographs better than it looks in person.

And the MIGHTY 305:

Now here are some photoshops...

Here's a drop on TTIIs, but I'd go all chrome instead of black centers and probably a few inches bigger in diameter... note it also has the sport mirrors:

Here's a chop between a stock photo and a drop w/ no mirrors and the sport rear bumper:

STOCK:

DROPPED:

I think in a dream world I could have about 5 variations of it in the garage... but just one, not sure...

Country Flag: United States

cut that bitch up and pro tour it!

There is a new wheel by new gen wheels called the 500 that would look awesome on the truck. Especially if you painted the center sections black. It would look very similar to the last chop you posted. I say do a static drop on it with bolt-ons and change the wheels. Do what makes you happy, this body style is not likely to ever bring big bucks. I for one would love to have one of these one day, and I love the black with red interior.
    Stephen

Let cut it up!!! I did an 83 with full airride. I loved it.

That is 1 very sweet truck you got.

leave it alone...

That bottom pic with the rally II 's sure caught my eyes in a hurry...Very nice
    Carbon Kustoms Limited
    A.K.A. Albert from Toronto

Go with 1st chop..add a custom gril..H.I.D's..tint tha tails & put a rear bumper from a blazer & haul out..

Check your PMs

Default check this pic of my truck out, no c notch

From strickly an investment point of view, I would drive it, and enjoy it. I would not spend a dime on it trying to upgrade it to something it is not. You could spend $25K on that truck protouring it and drop the value on it. It is a 78 truck, use it for what it was intended, and spend any play money on a first gen camaro.

That said, it you have always dreamed of owning the most expensive 78 chevy truck in the world, (like I have owned the most expensive 80 malibu and currently own the most expensive 72 charger) then by all means, cut the biatch up and show us what ya got...haha
    Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

BTW, I noticed the Ga tag but those pictures don't look like Ga? Just curious was it a original GA truck? Richmond county?
    Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

Thats way too nice.. leave that one alone. There's always another one out there to hack up. I'd go that route.. you may even find one with a lot of work already done to it.

Country Flag: Poland

nice wheels and lower springs won't hurt the value of it or keep it from being used as a truck.
    I'd go w/o a rear bumper.
    Keith C.

I would lower it with some nice wheels and maybe future plans put airride on it. why not????
    colt zantop

1968 camaro LS1.......aka......."NJECTED"

What's wrong with it like this?

I think it looks great! Very clean truck. Find you another one that is similar but in much worse shape to hack up. Just keep that one running and driving well. Maybe some good shocks for ride quality. I wouldn't do anything that you couldn't reverse.
    JC Scott

That truck is money the way it sits. Like Bill said, cut it up if you want; it's your truck. But it will never be worth more than it is right now.

From an appearance standpoint, I would leave it alone. What I would do would be modern suspension upgrades like brakes, any bushing, bigger sway bar(if it even had one) and shocks all in the name of safety and driveability.

Other than that I would go ahead and put your "BUD" and "SISSY" plates in the back window and off to Gilley's you go.
    Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

here are some examples of what you should do to it!!!!!

You would not lose one cent on your truck if you do it right just like there are hardcore fans of camaros there are plenty of hardcore chevy truck fans out there....
    "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"

Leave it, there are way too many cheap ones out there that you can cut up.
    Kerry Turner
    Online Garage

I would say not to hack it up. That said, you could lower it with springs and spindles, put some decent brakes and the rims you want without cutting the frame up or thowing on tacky bling. Beautiful truck.

Wanna sell it? That thing is sweet! I'd rock it like it is.
    A buddy of mine had a long bed 454 brand new in '78. It shocked me because I didn't know the factory still made big blocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast