Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Nice! Does the car match your original vision?

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      Nice! Does the car match your original vision?
      So, that is an interesting question, and of course is hard to answer with a simple yes or no.

The original plan with this car was a simple driver, a $5k budget. Nice paint and an engine trans swap. That all went sideways within the first 30 days when I ordered the custom front suspension! After that I had to really soul search and come up with what my vision really was now. What was the plan? I put all those thoughts and ides rolling through my head and had this rendering done. In the end the car is almost 100% matching to it other than the side stripes. I changed them because a few years ago Ford started putting the Boss stripes on everything from new Mustangs to F150 pick ups. They became too common and very blasé now. So instead I decided to do my version of the Shelby GT350 stripes.

I'm now over 1500 labor hours and the money, well I am at least 5 times the original plan. Had I had to pay for labor, holy hell I could not have afforded the car!

This rendering was done 5 years ago. So I ask you, how close did i hit the target?

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!

pretty f,ing close, great job.

Glenn, you're very close. Depending on a person's skill level and previous exp., it's real easy to have project growth. I see that it's usually referred to as creep but explosion is more accurate. Anyone that has driven the older vehicles and is honest about how they were, is bound to want some improvements. Then if you've ridden in someone else's car and seen how good it can be, it seems to be a no brainer unless there isn't any money. I fully agree with your labor comment. I have people ask me about my labor cost in a project and I usually describe it as less than mental health counseling. If you can calculate a satisfaction value per hour, I think you were paying yourself well. As I see your history in paint and body, anything less than spectacular would be disappointing to you. I believe you have done very well. I would be proud to have that car in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxie460 View Post
      pretty f,ing close, great job.
      Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      Glenn, you're very close. Depending on a person's skill level and previous exp., it's real easy to have project growth. I see that it's usually referred to as creep but explosion is more accurate. Anyone that has driven the older vehicles and is honest about how they were, is bound to want some improvements. Then if you've ridden in someone else's car and seen how good it can be, it seems to be a no brainer unless there isn't any money. I fully agree with your labor comment. I have people ask me about my labor cost in a project and I usually describe it as less than mental health counseling. If you can calculate a satisfaction value per hour, I think you were paying yourself well. As I see your history in paint and body, anything less than spectacular would be disappointing to you. I believe you have done very well. I would be proud to have that car in my shop.

I like that, creep. Lol, thats one way of putting it. In my case it was an all out about face change in direction and plan. But all in all I am very happy with it. I also agree, with my background in collision and restoration has certainly made this much easier. My current job as a training instructor for PPG has certainly given me the best of the best products at an arms reach away. I have been very fortunate for sure.

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....

I picked up the car from the interior shop today. I am so happy with the final outcome, it looks exactly as I had envisioned.

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....

Man that is nice, they did a great job! Bet it feels good to finally reach this point with the car, hell I'm excited for you, watched this build from the first post on the Maverick board.

Perfect! Dont know what else to say.
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

I just read your thread, beginning to end. Now my confidence is up. That's an incredible build. I picked up some ideas as well. (PS- I'm the guy with the flared-out Falcon)

Quote Originally Posted by RMMiller View Post
      Man that is nice, they did a great job! Bet it feels good to finally reach this point with the car, hell I'm excited for you, watched this build from the first post on the Maverick board.
      As you know its been a long ride. Just doing some final details now and will be ready for spring here in New England. Can't come fast enough for me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      Perfect! Dont know what else to say.
      Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Walther View Post
      I just read your thread, beginning to end. Now my confidence is up. That's an incredible build. I picked up some ideas as well. (PS- I'm the guy with the flared-out Falcon)
      Thank you. If I can do it you can thats for sure. Love your build, you clearly have skills. Just keep plugging along.

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....

WOW great build

Congrats on the awesome build! Love it when someone has a vision and takes it to the next level. I am currently in the middle of my '66 Mustang build and also am trying to be a bit different than all the others. When it is done I will post pictures next to my '55.

A friend just shared with me that there is an article written and posted on Hotrod Hotline about my car. I was pretty shocked to hear that as I had not been contacted by anyone about writing such an article. All the info and pictures were taken from either here on PT.com or Lat-g.com. So the guy, Tommy Parry, is on one of the two sites.

While I do appreciate the article and notoriety it brings, I am disturbed by the last paragraph and where the "writer" decided to take liberty and say that the build put my "marriage on the rocks'. This could not be further from the truth in any regard, my wife loves my cars and what I do with them. She is wholly supportive in what I do and how I do it. Never once a debate on the amount of time or money invested. Largely because the money does not come from our "house" money. My paycheck goes to everything house/family related. My car money comes from doing side work. Thats why it took seven years to build this car.

So whoever you are Tommy Parry, I didn't appreciate your added drama into the article on my car.

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/node/19535#.WkZwSjvfPBI

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....

That hotrodhotline website is run by Internet Brands. I would not hesitate getting ahold of someone at corporate and demanding an editing of the story. Printing false damaging statements can be considered slander. It's also reckless to run a feature without letting the builder proof it.

They are also on thin ice when it comes to using your images without permission. Just because you posted the images in public, that doesn't automatically give up your right to the images. They are using the images for commercial purposes, without your permission.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 12-29-2017 at 09:52 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      That hotrodhotline website is run by Internet Brands. I would hesitate getting ahold of someone at corporate and demanding an editing of the story. Printing false damaging statements can be considered slander. It's also reckless to run a feature without letting the builder proof it.

They are also on thin ice when it comes to using your images without permission. Just because you posted the images in public, that doesn't automatically give up your right to the images. They are using the images for commercial purposes, without your permission.

Andrew
      Andrew, Thanks for that info. I have already emailed them and asked for it to be edited. I did get a quick response where they said my concern had been sent to their Content department. Time will tell what they do. I'll be watching.

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod47 View Post
      Andrew, Thanks for that info. I have already emailed them and asked for it to be edited. I did get a quick response where they said my concern had been sent to their Content department. Time will tell what they do. I'll be watching.
      The polite thing for them to have done was to get in touch with you, tell you what they want to do, ask permission to use your images, and offer you the opportunity to proof the story. I guess even that is too much in the age of instant content generation.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I read the hotline article. I'm a little surprised but I guess that shows my naiveness about today's world.

I really like this car. Job well done!

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I'm happy to report that HRHL fixed the article for me!!

So now that my Photobucket account is gone almost all of my build pics that were posted here are gone too. For anyone wanting to see them there is a full video on youtube that shows every picture in order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qdjE9slW0&t=2091s

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....

My son discovered that someone had used my build thread on the 51 to make a video, also. I agree that it would be nice if someone asked before doing but as long as they don't claim to have built it, I guess it's not a big deal. When my son found it, there was 660,000 views. That surprised me. By the way, I'm waiting for a nice drive video or my ride in it.

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com