Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Blue My Mind, 1972 Ford Maverick

I have been a street rodder forever. I have a nice 47 Ford coupe that the family and I love to take out and go to some shows. In 2008 my father and I drove the 13 hours in the 47 to Columbus for the Goodguys event. Needless to say I was blown away!! While walking through the Pro's Pick area and seeing all the cars up for the SMOTY award I really got charged up for a new project. Of course, I will never own a car that can compete on that level. My pockets are no where near that deep. Nor am I that talented of a builder.

So 2 months ago I picked up 1972 Maverick. This particular car lived life in Alabama until 1988. It then came to Connecticut and spent only 2 years being driven in the New England weather. In 1990 a friend of mine bought the car and put it in his garage. It never saw the light of day until I pulled it out in September!

So what I have here is a fairly rust free car that I can play with. It does have rot in the bottom of both quarter panels. Other that that it's all good news.

This will be a budget minded build. No big dollars here. I got the car free. I just aquired an 89 Mustang that I scavenged a great running 5.0 and the AOD out of. So far $0 investment! I also had a friend donate a 5 lug 8" rear with axles. I know some of you high tech. guys probably just rolled your eyes, but for the price invested I will stay with the 8". I just ordered the coil over front MII front end from Rod & Custom Motorsprts. It should be delivered this week.
      So here is the plan,

Suspension:

I have already bought and installed the Rod & Custom coilover front end. I have acquired an 8" V8 Maverick rear that came without the center section. As luck would have it I found a newly rebuilt center section at a local swap meet in the fall. It had the 3.80 gears that i was looking for too. I am also planning on adding rear disc brakes soon. I have taken the rear springs apart, sand blasted them all individually and then painted them all. I picked up a set of 2" lowering blocks and have plans to install CalTracs as well. Right now the car is sitting on my scissor lift without any suspension at all.

Engine:

My Brother in law donated an 89 5.0 and it's AOD trans. It came out of a good running car. I pulled the motor completely apart to inspect it. Everything looked really good so it all went off to the machine shop. After getting tanked and checked out the guy determined that all the cylinder walls needed was a honing. He cut the crank by ten thousands, installed new bearings and freeze plugs for me. I picked everything up and started assembly. I installed the GT40P heads that I found all rebuilt, also installed the Ford Racing E cam. I also found a good deal on a Explorer GT40 intake. Going to keep the injection.

Body:

I plan on leaving the body fairly stock. The biggest exception to that would be changing the rear body panel to that of a 68 Shelby so it will accept the Shelby taillights. I plan on picking up a Grabber spoiler set as well as a Grabber hood. I am not sure yet if I will try to find a good steel one or buy Maverick Mans carbon fiber hood. Time will tell there. I already bought the billet grill for the car. I am also planning on changing out the stock side lights for the flush mount lights that Hagen Street Rods sells. My goal here is not to alter the cars look, only to enhance. Again, in my eyes.

Paint:

Paint has finally been decided on. I am going with a Ford Blue Met. with Ice Blue stripe. The paint scheme will be a cross between the Brazilian Mav. and a 70 Boss Mustang. I will be using all PPG products for this project. Top of the line everything. I am also going to be using the new Envirobase water system. I plan on clearing it with the PPG's Global D8152 Glamour Clear. Sanding it all down and then flow coating the whole thing.

Interior:

I am going to modify the dash and run aftermarket gauges. Still unsure on the final layout. My goal would be to run some of the newer quad gauges so that I can istall them in the stock location. If that doesn't work I will run the typical speedo and tach. in the stock location and then mount the other gauges in the dash angled toward the driver. I found a set of nice 90-91 Mustang GT seats. They are comfortable and have good support.

Wheels and tires:

I have no real idea on tires make or sizes yet. I am looking at Billet Specialties rims for the car. 17" front and 18" rears.

This car is being built for me to enjoy for a few years, then when my 8 year old daughter (Hot Rod Hannah) turns 16 it will be hers.

So follow along if you like....

Thanks,
      Glenn
      Attached Images Attached Images        

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!

Country Flag: United States
      very cool. I like that it will eventually be you daughter's. I have always liked those mavericks. They are a great car to build. Light and ready to be modified for handling. Good luck with your project.

lite car + V8= fun car..

I like the lines of the Mavericks. You should paint the rear valence the same color as the stripe. I think that would look cool.
      Stephen

That looks like a Maverick Sprint! In which case you might want to think about restoring it as they are rare. Mavericks are fun little cars. Im still building mine little by little. Check out mmb.maverick.to and fordmaverick.com.
      Travis L

Quote Originally Posted by ProMav71 View Post
      That looks like a Maverick Sprint! In which case you might want to think about restoring it as they are rare. Mavericks are fun little cars. Im still building mine little by little. Check out mmb.maverick.to and fordmaverick.com.
      I have been all over both of those sites. I have scene you on there as well. It is in fact a Sprint! I know in the Maverick world they are held in high esteem. But for me it is just a 72 Maverick. I did offer it up to trade in the Mav. sites. If someone would swap me an equally clean shell they can save this one. Nobody jumped on the offer, so I am going to build it my way.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!!

Glenn

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod47 View Post
      I have been all over both of those sites. I have scene you on there as well. It is in fact a Sprint! I know in the Maverick world they are held in high esteem. But for me it is just a 72 Maverick. I did offer it up to trade in the Mav. sites. If someone would swap me an equally clean shell they can save this one. Nobody jumped on the offer, so I am going to build it my way.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!!

Glenn
      Hey if they didnt want to save it, chop that sucker up! Mine was an original 302 Grabber car and I've modified mine extensively...but trust me I've heard about it!
      Travis L

Looks like Santa came early for me this year! The UPS man dropped off the nine boxes that braought me the entier Rod & Custom Motorsprts front end. Everything looks amazing!! Some very high quality welding on the front crossmember.

I also got the engine torn down yesterday. Things look good inside. I am gonna send it off to the machine shop for a it to be hot tanked, a little honing, new bearings installed. Then we will get it back and start assembly. I also just picked up a E303 cam to go along with the GT40P heads.

I am planning on cutting out the shock towers in the morning an start mocking up the crossmember.

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....

I have had fun this weekend. It only took me a few hours to get the shock towers cut out. Boy I wish I had a plasma cutter. That would have been a twenty minute job! After getting all the spot welds drilled and everything ground down I was able to spray on a coat of SEM Weld Threw primer. I measured everything several times and then clamped the crossmember in place. After triple checking I tack welded it in place. Everything looks good!!

I am hoping to get a friend over this week. He is a proffesional certified welder. I am going to have him buzz in the rest of it with his welder. I only have a 110v Miller mig and don't want to have any problems down the road.

It was a good day in the garage!

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....

If your glass is good you may want to cover it with cardboard or it will get all that grinding splatter embedded in it. My son's girlfriend has one those and we converted it over to 5-lug then put bullitt wheels on it what a differance

More progress today. A good friend is letting me borrow his rottisorie. I have it for 6 weeks. I better make good use of the time! Today I got it set up, which took a bit longer than I expected. Not easy to do by yourself. I think the car looks really solid under there. With a bit of elbow grease and some paint the underside should look good. I still need to pull the rear end in order to get the car to rotate further. I will do that during the week, then start the cleaning. I wonder if I should rent a steam cleaner to help with all the grease?? Any suggestions?? Other than a few gallons of wax and grease remover. I was thinking about oven cleaner, it is supposed to be a degreaser right??

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I made a new front crossmember to clean up the engine compartment a little more. The big front crossmember isn't really needed as big anymore without the front strut arms going through it. Since I have installed the R&C front end. This is made of 2x2 square tubing. And before some start to question it's ability, I consulted with a friend that is a structural engineer. He thinks it should be fine in this situation.

6 weeks to go, and the count down begins.... tick tock...tick tock.....

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....

I love Mavericks. There are very few left. I would through a EFI 5.0 and a OD trans. Put a sway bar and some good shocks and your daughter will have a great dependable car. Should even get good gas mileage.
      Everything Under the Sun is Intune
      Chris
      http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea..._am/index.html

4 hours in the garage today. The bottom of the car is coming along nicely! Really solid down there, especially for a early 70's Ford. Good thing this thing spent 19 years in a garage. I figure I have another 2 or 3 hours of prep work. Then I will metal prep it, 2 coats of epoxy and then 2 coats of a chassis black. Then off the rotosserie and back on jack stands.

tick tock......

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....

Lookin' good! Love the Mav's!
      Ron B - 1966 Ford Cortina work in progress. 5,0HO, T-5, 8inch with 3.00s, Megasquirt ECU, rollin'on 52 inches!

I don't know if anyone has given you degreasing help for the underside, but Simple green and a brass BBQ brush do wonders.

Aside from that, great looking start, great project.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Quote Originally Posted by 6'9"Witha69 View Post
      I don't know if anyone has given you degreasing help for the underside, but Simple green and a brass BBQ brush do wonders.

Aside from that, great looking start, great project.

That is exactly what I did. Simple Green HD worked wonders on it.
      Thanks

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....

Keep the picture coming

You are off to a good start. What I would do th have that kind of working room. We need more Ford projects on this site. Not that any of the project are bad we just need more Fords.

How did I miss this post. Cant wait to see this one finished. I wish my Mav was that clean.
      Chris

Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

I personally think the grabber hood makes a day and night difference for the better on those cars. Awesome project.

92 azz draggin blazer
      86 Monte Carlo SS
      64 Impala

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com