Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: BOP rear axles

BOP rear axles

How much can the 64-67 BOP rear axle take? I have a 1967 GTO that has a stock open rear end with 3.36's. Ive been debating with myself if its worth the $2K to put a 9" or a 12 bolt in it before i upgrade my braking system. If im not mistaken they are fairly tough, just harder to get parts for. Am I correct? This would be for a street cruiser that would only see street tire blasts at the track and maybe make 400ish hp. What do you think?
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

The 8.2 BOP 10 bolt is a stronger rear end than the Chevy 8.2 10 bolt. It has a 27 spline pinion shaft where the Chevy has a 25 spline shaft. It also doesn't use c clips to retain the axles, so if an axle breaks you will not loose it.

The factory installed Borg Warner limited slip (posi) differential was a strong piece. It had 4 pinion gears instead of 2 like all of the other GM rear ends. This made the differential much stronger. These are no longer made, so you are limited to an Auburn or maybe an Eaton. I'll have to check on the Eaton and see if it is available. I would MUCH rather use an Eaton over an Auburn.

The BOP 8.2 can be built to hold up to 400 HP. I don't think you would have any problems with it as long as you don't allow it to wheel hop. This can break even the strongest rear end.

re

Is there a decent selection of gears for this rear axle? I looked at richmonds site and the highest they go is 3.55. Im wanting a 3.0 gear or so to compliment my Richmond 5 speeds gearing. Im also thinking about going with a power trax unit. Ive heard really good things about them. Do you have any opinion onthese?
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

I have a Lock Right in my truck. I've put about 130,000 miles on it in the past 12 years and it's working great. It does pop and jerk some, but not bad. I don't know if it's available for the BOP 8.2 10 bolt.

You might need to find a used OEM gear for that ratio. I don't think anybody will be making them now.

I was in the same boat when planning my car. $2000.00 for a 9" or 12 bolt or beef up the 8.2? I ended up finding out the Olds and Buick 71/72 A-bodies used a 8.5 rear that will bolt right in. I went that direction and have about 900.00 in my whole rear including including a new Eaton posi.

The 8.5 is a better rear end, if you can find one. The '71 and '72 A body rear ends are the only ones that will work. '73 and later will not work. These are also the only 8.5 rear ends that don't use c clips on the axles.

Country Flag: United States
      nothing wrong with them, had 4:88s from machinsts ol race car in my 70 Monte, it had a posi from a 69 ra3 ta in 64 tempest then I installed it in my 70 Monte.
      the old tempest was an ol 11 1/2 lb class 4 speed bracket racer running a high rpm 400 w/Crane Superflow ra4 heads and was rippping gears at 8500rpm, scarey part was they were using armacast rods.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com