Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

68 firebird w/ 600+ hp whats the best way to go

need help figuring out what rear end setup i should run with my 461 stroker. what rear and ratio should i use? i've heard 3.90 is best for acceleration and top speed but i dont know if thats correct.

Country Flag: United States
      You post the same question twice, yet didn't either time say what you wanted to use the car for, or what transmission you have in it?

I'll bite - I'd say a 3.73, maybe a 3.55 if you're left handed.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

street and strip. mainly street. im looking for more acceleration that anything. but i dont want it to top out at 70 either. im looking for a good balance. and its a ground up project so im starting from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by transamguy79 View Post
      street and strip. mainly street. im looking for more acceleration that anything. but i dont want it to top out at 70 either. im looking for a good balance. and its a ground up project so im starting from scratch.
      Why are you asking this question on Pro-Touring.com? This is a site devoted to making older cars go around turns well, not primarily a quarter mile site. So far as I can tell, you have no engine, no suspension, maybe not even a car, yet you're asking about rear end ratios?

Dreaming is great, but people here take their time to answer questions. I suggest you take some of your time, use the search function here and at sites devoted to drag racing and do a little of the work yourself.

i just sold my last project because i was unhappy with the end product. it wasn't build up to my liking so i decided to start from scratch and do it the right. its not going to be a drag car it will rarely be at the strip if ever. i want a car that i can be proud of and other people are blown away with along with showing these little imports what a real car is. im sure i can pick a suspension that will be fine but i want to see what others say that might help find the right one not one that would just be ok.

i just sold my last project because i was unhappy with the end product. it wasn't build up to my liking so i decided to start from scratch and do it the right. its not going to be a drag car it will rarely be at the strip if ever. i want a car that i can be proud of and other people are blown away with along with showing these little imports what a real car is. im sure i can pick a suspension that will be fine but i want to see what others say that might help find the right one not one that would just be ok.
      I think you just changed your story.

Folks here, by and large, respect any car that accelerates, turns and stops, regardless where it came from. You get points for building your own car, and/or modifying any car to get it to accelerate, turn and stop better than stock.

I don't mean to dump on you, but you're using up time and energy for a project that's not even on paper yet. Do your homework, plan a build and them come here (if this is the appropirate forum) asking specific questions.

one. i need to know what to get. two. i started this project bout 3 days ago so im still getting it on paper. three. i enjoy reading what others recommend i think others enjoy helping and giving their opinions. four. im not wasting anyone time. if they don't want to respond they dont have to. the only one thats wasting their time is you. "we impose no vehicle restrictions or limitations" thats what pro-touring says. im not being rude but let us enjoy ourselves.

one. i need to know what to get. two. i started this project bout 3 days ago so im still getting it on paper. three. i enjoy reading what others recommend i think others enjoy helping and giving their opinions. four. im not wasting anyone time. if they don't want to respond they dont have to. the only one thats wasting their time is you. "we impose no vehicle restrictions or limitations" thats what pro-touring says. im not being rude but let us enjoy ourselves.
      Well then go for it. I was 12 once too.

I guess you have an engine, but not a rear end to go with it. I recommend a Moser 12 bolt with the 9 inch Ford axle bearings and a Eaton Posi or Truetrac. The gear ratio will depend on the transmission that you use. If you have overdrive then the 3.90 would be all right. If you don't have overdrive then you better stay above 3.73, probably 3.42 if you want to run 70 MPH for any amount of time.

BBC's enjoy some taller gears to show off their low end torque....I like using a 3.23 or in some cases, taller gears.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

You sure the heck don't want 3:90 with a 600hp pontiac. Your not going to find much 1/4 mile difference from 3:08s to 3:73s in fact you might lose time in the 1/4 mile. I would consider the 3:23 gear and a Continental converter.

For the rear you should really think about a 8.5 from a 70to74 Nova and a Eaton 30 spline carrier and axles. The rear will fit right in and it should be plenty strong.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Hihihihhi this is getting funny chek the you tube video,s i put on your engine post. Rohrt is absolutly spot on! 3.42 rear ratio is the way to

moser 12 bold 33 spline. aluminum 3 1/2 ich Denny,s driveshaft spline.
      Again do not go for 3.73 ore 3.91 the pontiac mill hase so mutch torque it wil run just as fast in the 1/4 with a 3.42.
      do not go to a 3.08 tho .

what converter should i run?

The 10" Continental is the best converter you can get if its going to be mostly street driven as you said. They are tight and efficient. They will give you the best 1/4 mile time. They run about $600.

You have some ambitious goals, I saw where you said you wanted to run 9s. I hope you have a big wallet. A more realistick goal and closer to your 600hp would be one of the more common builds seen on the PY site and also what my brother has in his GTO. Stroker 460 somthing with the Old Faithful cam from SD performance and the KRE 290cfm heads. This made 550HP and almost 600ft-lbs of torq. I have the Dyno on Youtube somewhere.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

is there any particular driveshaft you would recommend?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com