Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PT Cars and insurance??

Hokay, so, for those of you who don't know, I am just finishing up my formula 2.0--the new specs, in short, are ls2/3 hybrid, tko600, air ride, wilwoods, forgelines, and of course a blade-straight body thanks to frank--and now I'm trying to figure out how the heck to ensure this thing.

SO--I tried to set up an agreed-value policy with grundy--they transferred me to their south carolina department, and the guy in SC is saying that he won't insure the car for more than "fair market value", 25k in his mind. Now I don't want to get nitty gritty on what my car's worth, but I'm sure you guys know--you can't even buy an ls2 with ls3 heads, a tko, a nice brake set, forgelines, and air ride for 25k--and that's leaving out all of the work that both I've done over the past 8 years and now that frank's helped me finish over the last year, and the cost of the car to put it all on.

SO--what should I do?!?! Keep fighting grundy on this? I'm gathering up all of my receipts and frank's prepping me a list of everything he's done, but this guy seems like a real jerk who doesn't really care at all what's done to the car. Should I try to take this back up through the ranks at grundy? Should I try somebody else? Any suggestions on other companies that can provide an agreed-value policy and AREN'T jerks?

Thank you guys for your help!

Try hagerty and you can also try your regular company. You can always get your car appraised and give that to the grundy guy, That will usually shut up anyone that might not know what they're talking about.

Country Flag: United States
      Try Heacock Classic. I saw them recommended on here and just got an agreed value policy with no problems. The price was quite good too.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I have Heacock Classic.. it was something like $1195 for $100,000 coverage

They had the fewest driving restrictions.
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post

Out of curiosity (and not to sound stupid), but is that yearly cost? If so, that's nuts, I'd think they'd only let you drive 3 miles a year. Does it cover tracks, too?
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2
      LS6 :: Viper T56 :: C5 Brakes :: Hotchkis Suspension

This sounds crazy to me...I use Grundy and they did not hassle me at all about the agreed value of my car. It's not six figures but it is up there. I'd try to speak with someone else!
      Steve Martin
      67 Camaro RS
      66 Chevelle

Wes left out one little detail. He is very young.

Wes, give me a call tomorrow. I insure and refer a lot of cars with Heacock. If your record is perfect I might be able to get you done. if not, Grundy is the only one I know that will insure under 25

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
      Wes left out one little detail. He is very young.

Wes, give me a call tomorrow. I insure and refer a lot of cars with Heacock. If your record is perfect I might be able to get you done. if not, Grundy is the only one I know that will insure under 25

Already got a workaround for that--since the car's going to be stored at home, and I'm technically still in college (grad school), We're just insuring it under my parents, and I'll just "borrow" it from time to time.

I'll look at heacock and hagerty! never even heard of heacock...I'll call you tomorrow to see what we can figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by formula View Post
      Hokay, so, for those of you who don't know, I am just finishing up my formula 2.0--the new specs, in short, are ls2/3 hybrid, tko600, air ride, wilwoods, forgelines, and of course a blade-straight body thanks to frank--and now I'm trying to figure out how the heck to ensure this thing.

SO--I tried to set up an agreed-value policy with grundy--they transferred me to their south carolina department, and the guy in SC is saying that he won't insure the car for more than "fair market value", 25k in his mind. Now I don't want to get nitty gritty on what my car's worth, but I'm sure you guys know--you can't even buy an ls2 with ls3 heads, a tko, a nice brake set, forgelines, and air ride for 25k--and that's leaving out all of the work that both I've done over the past 8 years and now that frank's helped me finish over the last year, and the cost of the car to put it all on.

SO--what should I do?!?! Keep fighting grundy on this? I'm gathering up all of my receipts and frank's prepping me a list of everything he's done, but this guy seems like a real jerk who doesn't really care at all what's done to the car. Should I try to take this back up through the ranks at grundy? Should I try somebody else? Any suggestions on other companies that can provide an agreed-value policy and AREN'T jerks?

Thank you guys for your help!
      I feel stupid, I just remembered, I got a quote from State Farm as a daily car.

A 1968 Camaro would cost $238 monthly, with one accident on my record, it would be insured as a classic vehicle with an assessed (whatever the car is worth, forgot the word) value. And I'm 19.
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2

If it is in parents name I can get you done easy. They have been to the shop, reviewed our work, they don't question value of our builds.

Here is another car we finished today. Just insured this today for $90K with Heacock, no uestions asked. Reconize anything in the back ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Vicinity View Post
      Out of curiosity (and not to sound stupid), but is that yearly cost? If so, that's nuts, I'd think they'd only let you drive 3 miles a year. Does it cover tracks, too?
      Yea, that's per a year.. I pay in quarters but they have monthly plans as well.

I covers my car everywhere but on the track itself. So, I'm covered in the paddocks, the staging line, on the way to the track, etc.

I can drive 3,000 miles per a year and I'm not supposed to commute to work in it. Pretty simple conditions.

Gundy had a freaking heart attack when they heard I had a cage. lol

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

They wanted my car appraised so I said "Go on Google and type in 'bad penny camaro' they came back and said "approved"... lol

but it would have been increasingly harder to get higher amounts.

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

I feel stupid, I just remembered, I got a quote from State Farm as a daily car.

A 1968 Camaro would cost $238 monthly, with one accident on my record, it would be insured as a classic vehicle with an assessed (whatever the car is worth, forgot the word) value. And I'm 19.
      State Farm IS NOT agreed value.. it's stated value which equates to you getting screwed if something happens.

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

State Farm IS NOT agreed value.. it's stated value which equates to you getting screwed if something happens.
      Do any of those specialty companies insure classic daily driven cars? (IE no set miles)
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
      If it is in parents name I can get you done easy. They have been to the shop, reviewed our work, they don't question value of our builds.

Here is another car we finished today. Just insured this today for $90K with Heacock, no uestions asked. Reconize anything in the back ground?
      Nope...not seein it....waaaaiiiiittttt hey wow I see it! We have that same lift where I work!
      Seriously, that camaro's gorgeous. The heap in the background ain't bad either, I suppose.

Do any of those specialty companies insure classic daily driven cars? (IE no set miles)

I have Grundy and there rules are that the car must be garage kept, and not driven to work or used for errands ie daily driver. But there are no set mileage numbers. We were also told no one under 26 can drive the car.
      1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

Same here
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Done! I sent a email this morning, no question on the value soon as they heard we did it. They already had dads application, I think the rate will surprise you.

Anyone needing insurance, contact heacockclassic.com and tell them I sent you. They are really good people.

Based on MucleCarJohn's recommendation in another thread I went through American Modern Insurance when I got my car back on the road a few weeks ago. Typical restrictions, with the exception that I don't think I'm covered anywhere within the confines of a racetrack. So that is one upside to the Heacock guys.

I paid just under $300 for a $35K policy, and I'm 26 with a clean driving record. I'm thinking I might raise it to $40k though...
      Jeff K.
      69 Camaro SS, 406 SBC, TKO600, 9" w/3.73 tru-trac, Speedtech Arms, AFX Spindles, Lee 670 Box, Baer GT front, C5Z rear. Hyperco Leafs w/ Fays2 Watts Link + Varishocks.

Yea, that's per a year.. I pay in quarters
      How many stamps does it take to send in that bill?
      Derek Kiefer,
      Mantorville, MN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com