Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Diagnosis and advice on a 4L60E

Can anyone tell me what could be wrong with a 4L60E that lost Overdrive and Drive? It still had reverse when removed from the vehicle. I came out of a 2000 4x4 S10 Extended Cab with a 4.3L and had about 200K miles.
      I can pick this trans up for $20 and thought it may be worth doing so in order to use in my '64 Bel Air Wagon project (after having it rebuilt obviously). Would it be worth it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

you would have to change too much to make it work for your car. tail shaft, tail shaft housing, input shaft ect.

also the 3-4 clutch pack is burnt up, thats why it has no 3rd and 4th. very common.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

Thanks CamaroAJ. I guess I should just pass on it then?
      Are all the tail shafts, housings and input shafts interchangeable between all the different 4L60E transmissions?
      Is this thing a 700R4 in disguise?

for the most part yes everything is intercnangeable.

yes its an electronic 700r4

Well that scares me. I'm not very fond of the 700R. Granted, I may have just had bad luck or got a bad rebuild, etc etc. They seem super touchy. Is the 4L60E the same way? Hard to get them rebuilt correctly, hard to get them adjusted correctly? Or is it just me!? lol

I have a 2wd output shaft that came out of a 95 4L60E if you're interested. I would consider buying it for $20. Try rebuilding it yourself, maybe, you can get help on here.
      Erik

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...without-a-name

Camaro LS2, T56, 12 bolt, C6 Z06 brakes, Rushforth Super Spokes, ATS Spindles
      2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS

ErikLS2,
      What would that output shaft cost me?

i have found that most people don't adjust the TV cable on the 700r4 the right way and that is their whole problem.

another question is what system are you going to use to control the 4l60? since its electronic it needs a computer system to control it.

I don't know what TCU I will use yet. I'm not 100% sure what motor I'm going to use. I want to use a 4.2L inline six. I was thinking I could/would get the harness and ECM/TCU from a trailblazer to control the motor and trans. Not sure though, I haven't done enough research to know if a standalone like the Accell gen 7 can control the trans as well.

By the way, what is the proper way to adjust the TV cable on the 700R4?

since your in ohio (i know it would be long drive but) have you called cleveland pick a part? you would be better off getting a engine and trans pull out from a 02+ trailblazer/envoy/saab/isuzu with all the wireing and brackets.

Bell housing is different on a trailblazer than on a S-10. That would be another thing you would have to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by leos67bird View Post
      Bell housing is different on a trailblazer than on a S-10. That would be another thing you would have to replace.
      thats true, the starter is on the drivers side of the engine at the top side of the flex plate.

AJ,
      I haven't called Cleveland Pick a Part. Haven't ever heard of them actually. We have scrap yards around here, one of them has some type of deal with GM that they get low mile motors that have been tested or something, that's where I was planning on picking up the motor. I will have to check out Cleveland Pick a Part though. Cleveland is a 4.5-5hr drive from Cincy, but it could be well worth it. Thanks for the heads up.
      Sounds like my $20 deal gets worse and worse with the more info I get! Didn't know/realize the bellhousing deal.
      Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated!

The Trail Blazer inline is junk & soon to go out of production horrible fuel mileage reliablity issues better off using a LS based engine or a 4.3 li you will be much happier all around & they will be cheaper I just bought a 6.0 li LS compleate for $450. 4.8s 5.3s are even cheaper & there is more room for advancement aftermarket parts & support & will get way better fuel economy

Quote Originally Posted by Marvolus View Post
      The Trail Blazer inline is junk & soon to go out of production horrible fuel mileage reliablity issues better off using a LS based engine or a 4.3 li you will be much happier all around & they will be cheaper I just bought a 6.0 li LS compleate for $450. 4.8s 5.3s are even cheaper & there is more room for advancement aftermarket parts & support & will get way better fuel economy
      how so? i have had to do less work on that engine than any other engine gm makes.

I've not heard bad things about the 4.2L Inline either. That's interesting. One of the reasons I wanted to use this motor was because it would be a little different. Plus, it's going in a '64 Bel Air Wagon that we have zero intentions of driving hard, so the extra power isn't that necessary. We have some other projects that the power and 'goodies' of the LS motors would be better suited for (74 Firebird, 67 Chevelle, '84 GMC truck).
      I've been following a forum for the 4.2 for quite some time and haven't heard any negative. Interesting info. Thanks!

The 4.2 motors are very good and reliable motors. The only issue they had were with the intake valve seats leaking causing a engine misfire at idle. If it wasn't for the check engine light coming on you wouldn't know it had a misfire.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com