Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

6.5" components or 8" subs

Okay so I am down to trying to decide on a set of speakers for my 68 Camaro and need some advise. i have read all the threads on here but still am not sure on what to get. In the front I will have the Screaming perf. kickpanels so I need a set of 6.5 components there. Next do I mount 2 8" subs in the factory 6x9 spots or put 6.5 components there and a 10" sub in the middle? I believe I am going to run either all JL audio stuff or either all Alpine with a JL sub. Any advise on which models to use? I am not into the thump thump junk....just good hair band stuff so I want the system to handle this type music. I have all Alpine X and R series components in my truck and happy with the output, but I am open to suggestions.

1968 Camaro Crossram EFI 385, TKO 600 fully REMed. 594 hp/576 tq-ft. ATX spindles, Speedtech control arms, Chassis Works G-Link on 12 bolt with REMed gears, Chassis Works mini tubs, 245/40-17 front, 335/35-17 rear.

with good old rocknroll aka hairbands etc I would go with 2-4x 8" over bigger ones. for music with electric guitars I like the punch from 8's better then bigger subs. If you had said hip hop or something I would go with one bigger sub then multiple of smaller ones.

Tonny

I would not spend the money on a set of components for the back, a decent set of co-axles will be fine, If you get a nice set of 3 way 6X9 that will let you adjust the levels you may be happy with that amount of bass. Not sure how much you want. 2 eights = 16 inches of cone, when a ten is just ten, keep that in mind.... I had three JL 8W6 with about 200 watts on each, every person that heard it thought i had a pair of 15s....
      James J.

I was thin
      king of using a set of the RE 6.5 XXX's in the rear and a set of the RE's in the front kick panels from Screaming Perf. From what I have read the RE XXX would give good midbass sound which is more the line I need for the music I like. Anybody ever tried these? They look wicked on the videos I have seen but I would like to hear a set locally!
      1968 Camaro Crossram EFI 385, TKO 600 fully REMed. 594 hp/576 tq-ft. ATX spindles, Speedtech control arms, Chassis Works G-Link on 12 bolt with REMed gears, Chassis Works mini tubs, 245/40-17 front, 335/35-17 rear.

I'm like you. I prefer a bit more midbase in my systems. In my extended cab s-10 i have a 6.5 component setup with tweets right behind the a-pillar in the headliner and 4.5" rounds in the dash. For low frquency I have 2 12's in a smallish sealed box with a the high freq filter at about 120 hz. I find the setup is lacking in midbass, hence the high cutoff on the subs. The cone area of the twelves with the quick response of the sealed box provide tight and responsive low freq production, which sounds awesome for base kicks and bass riffs (i'm a rock/metal guy myself). The highs are very strong in my setup. The only hole is between 100-300 hz, and I plan on adding in two 8's to fill the gap.

For you, I think a single twelve in the trunk in a proted box with the port exiting into the cab via the rear sill would give enough in the 20-100 hz. Two eights mount in factory locations in the rear sill with a sealed enclousure behind them will give you alot of room to play with midbase cut offs 80-300 hz. The 6.5"s in the kicks can be used as fills and to help generate a better sound stage. Then, for mids and highs, you can do a couple 4.5's in the dash and place some tweets wherever you feel produces the best sound stage. This setup would perform very well in a rock application, and could be done in stages if you feel it's a bit much at once. The twin eights in the rear sill are the main focus here though. The twelve can be added if you feel some more low end is needed. As for the RE's, they are a great speaker. Only have heard one system that used them, but they did have a great tone. They do bridge the gap between some entry brands like alpine and rf and the big guys like focal/hertz.

Hope this helps ya out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesJ View Post
      I would not spend the money on a set of components for the back, a decent set of co-axles will be fine, If you get a nice set of 3 way 6X9 that will let you adjust the levels you may be happy with that amount of bass. Not sure how much you want. 2 eights = 16 inches of cone, when a ten is just ten, keep that in mind.... I had three JL 8W6 with about 200 watts on each, every person that heard it thought i had a pair of 15s....

You are right, two 8's do have more cone area. But it isn't strictly diameter difference. It's the area of the cone. pi*r^2 will show you the area of the driver. Keep in mind though that every time you double the cone area, the output of the system only increases roughly 3 db/spl. System output mostly comes down to enclosure/driver efficiency.

I would suggest some nice 6x9 in the rear, coaxial is good, 3 way if you want. The rear glass will act as a reflector for the highs, and will expand the soundstage.
      Spend the most on the front speakers IMO, speakers with separate tweeters and external crossovers will outperform most coax designs, and get a good 4 ch amp to power that setup.
      Look for component speakers with high sensitivity, meaning they will play louder with less power (watts) given.
      If you want more bass, add a single 12" in the trunk later or a more complex setup.

JL Audio HD amps rock with components front and rear (Alpine's you have are great)

I went with the RE XXX setup for the front and rears, 10" RE sub and matched US Amps 5-channel amp to drive it. Sure it will be the same output as what you said.....LOUD!! Which is what it needs to be!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com