Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

I'm out of ideas, give some suggestions, please read....

I have posted this before & no one, or not many had any suggestions. Thought I would try again, I am completely out of ideas & need any suggestion.

The car is my 86 Monte SS & the problem is with the key in the OFF position I still get some voltage (.47v) at the alternator that excites the magnetic circuit/field. It buzzes and drains the battery. It is the brown wire that comes from under the dash on the drivers side. Key ON I get 12 volts as expected. Key OFF I should get 0 (zero). All this wiring is stock 86 Monte. This voltage is checked with a digital meter with the connector removed from the alternator. So it isn't feeding through the alt.

Here is what has been suggested or I have tried.

Someone suggested putting a diode in the wire between the dash & the alternator. This didn't make any sence to me but I tried it anyway. And as I expected it did nothing. Current is coming from the dash feeding the alternator. With diode one direction it made no difference, it allowed all current to the alternator, turning it around it blocked ALL current. So even with key on I had 0 volts.

I have unplugged all connectors to the steering column. Someone mentioned it could be a bad switch in the column. Unplugged - no difference, problem still exists.

So someone else mentioned it could be the gauges or the flexible circuit that feeds the gauges. So I removed all of that & problem still exists.

I need any suggestions you may think of. The only thing I can think to do is put a relay in this line that is energized when the key is ON that way completing the circuit & will have 12v at the alternator when key is ON & 0 when off.

Thanks
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

It sounds, based on the diagnosis from diconnecting the steering column harness, that the problem is downstream from there, probably past the firewall. My only line of thinking past this is that the wire is chaffed and crossed, perhaps with the remote voltage sensing lead, causing some transfer. The other thing is that the Alt grounds to the engine, as does the rest of the car. IIRC, Any short feeding back into the chassis could feedback into the alt harness.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Not a wiring expert by any means, but have you referenced a manual to see where the "brown" wire goes? Also, check the fuse panel with a test light-- key in the off position-- some fuses have power all the time. Pull those one at time until you isolate the buzzing. This might lead you to what is causing the problem. Just trying to think what has power with the key off--courtesy lights, power seats???

Quote Originally Posted by 6'9"Witha69 View Post
      It sounds, based on the diagnosis from diconnecting the steering column harness, that the problem is downstream from there, probably past the firewall. My only line of thinking past this is that the wire is chaffed and crossed, perhaps with the remote voltage sensing lead, causing some transfer. The other thing is that the Alt grounds to the engine, as does the rest of the car. IIRC, Any short feeding back into the chassis could feedback into the alt harness.
      I am reading the voltage at the harness plug with it removed from the alternator so it is somewhere between the plug & the dash.

Thanks
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
      Not a wiring expert by any means, but have you referenced a manual to see where the "brown" wire goes? Also, check the fuse panel with a test light-- key in the off position-- some fuses have power all the time. Pull those one at time until you isolate the buzzing. This might lead you to what is causing the problem. Just trying to think what has power with the key off--courtesy lights, power seats???
      I'll try removing the fuses. Is there anything that wouldn't have a fuse in it? i doubt it, so eventually I will (fingers crossed) find one that when pulled kills power to that wire.

Makes sense.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

I skimmed the OP but when I had my 84 SS and the battery was draining overnight, it ended up being that the glove compartment light was staying when shut. Lightbulb removed, headache gone. Just an idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_SS View Post
      I skimmed the OP but when I had my 84 SS and the battery was draining overnight, it ended up being that the glove compartment light was staying when shut. Lightbulb removed, headache gone. Just an idea..
      Mine is at the alternator, I have measured voltage there with key off.

I found a fuse in the fuse box that when removed the voltage in with key in off position went to 0. The fuse looks to be for a choke heater circuit that I no longer need. So removed the fuse for good.

May have it solved.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Those electrical issues are enough to drive one to drink... Want a virtual beer? lol. Hope that solved it for ya.

Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      The fuse looks to be for a choke heater circuit that I no longer need. So removed the fuse for good.

May have it solved.
      Congratulations!!

Frigging wiring can make you crazy sometimes.

The few, the proud, the crazy... the LT1 owners.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com