Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seats for G Body?UPDATE found some

Well I'm going to be hunting up new seats for my Olds project in my great hunt for parts. The car will not be a daily driver though will be driven on the street on weekends or when I want to go have a bit of fun. Also the car will be used for auto crosses and the like, maybe even a few trips around PIR when I can manage.

The car currently has the split bench in it, which maybe good for taking my girl to the drive in (yes we have one here) but not for much else. Originally I was thinking of putting in some buckets from a Camaro or Trans Am or the like. However now I'm thinking more along the lines of a sport seat that would hold me even more in place when autocrossing.

Any other G body owners on here have any input or pics of the seats they are using in their car? Benefits and pains? Thanks.

Oh the car in question is an '80 Olds Cutlass (I know technically an A body, but more in common with the G body of the 80's than the A of the 70's)

UPDATE:

I found some black leather Grand Prix GTP seats that I'm going to try in it. Pics below.

"I can drive any forking thing around"
      Build Log http://banditcutlass.wordpress.com/

Yes, the factory buckets are horrible.

I have been looking at ProCar buckets, they look nice and a member here said they bolt in with the right brackets. BigBlockOlds (Andy) is his name and he has a build thread here.

Other than that, I would look at Arizen and see if they have something that wouldn't require too much fab work to fit.

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Country Flag: United States
      I have a 60-40 split bench. Wife insisted I keep it, so I had it recontoured (didn't recontour as much as I'd hoped) and recovered in leather.

I figure to get a second driver's seat for times when I go out alone. 4 screws and I can change the car's personality
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

I had cavalier.. or sunfire.. one of those in my car... nice seat wayyyyyyy better than a stock bucket. everyone who got in my car seemed to like em too.. skinny to fatasstastic.. including me.

cheap too, got a pair for 100 bucks, bolts on to stock bucket brackets.
      The Gutless Cutlass, is no more.
      '73 Chevy C10, Low with lots of GO!!!!

Yeah I have been looking at the ProCar ones as well. I've just been wondering about quality and comfort on those.

One of my biggest problems is that I am by no means a small guy. My uncle (complete cowboy from the old days) has always said I'm built like a bull dogger, tall and wide from the shoulders all the way down. So I do need a seat that will hold me but isn't designed for someone with a butt as small as my girlfriends like some sport seats I've sat in.

I was actually thinking maybe a set out of a Porsche. I had a 944 when I was a kid and LOVED those seats, very comfy and held me well while not looking like an out right racing seat. Only thing is I think it would sit to low in the Cutlass.

Any info on the recountour job on the seats Twenty over? Might be nice for just cruiseing around then as you said swap the seat when I head to the track.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
      I had cavalier.. or sunfire.. one of those in my car... nice seat wayyyyyyy better than a stock bucket. everyone who got in my car seemed to like em too.. skinny to fatasstastic.. including me.

cheap too, got a pair for 100 bucks, bolts on to stock bucket brackets.
      I've often wondered if those seats would bolt in a g-body. My other thoughts were either the 2000 f-body seats or having the stock buckets re-contoured. I've decided to keep an OEM type look, not exactly "stock" just some type of GM seats.
      Doug Gulley

66 C10 383, AFR 190, Accel SuperRam, Hyd Roller 230*/236* 280XFI, aftermarket T56, *under construction*

My DD is a 2000 Volvo V70 XC AWD. I'm pretty happy with the seats in this rig. The upper bolsters and stitching have held up exceptionally well, and the seats are pretty sportive, but don't induce fatigue on long hauls (The Anti-whiplash safety feature make the headrests look funky). A pretty good compromise of support and comfort. Plus, most of the late model ones have a heating element built in to keep you toasty on cold nights. I plan on using a set on the 81 Monte when that ball gets rolling.

1998-2000 "R" model seats (suede diamond pattern inserts). The regular V70 & XC models are solid leather)

Late model Volvo seats

You can't be slick to a can of oil

Those Volvo seats look like they would work nicely, though I would opt for the ones without the electronic controls.

1. Recaro seats were available in the T/A's (SE - Turbo and Pace Car) from '81 to at least '86, they bolt in using the G Body tracks. The '81 version is a little different from the '82+ ones.
      2. Lear Siegler "Conteur" seats in the F Bodys (some were the CamaroCamaroCamaro ones) and Regals. They have side bolster adjustments and knee pads that lift your kness (good for tall folks). http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/hi...o-conteur.html
      They were available from '82 to, I believe, '86. Both Lear seats in the TA's were adjustable. Look for thread #61 in the above thread to see the Regal and TA seats (you'll have to sign in or register to see them).
      3. '70's to early '80's BMW's had the Recaro seats. I don't know about how close the mountings are to the G Body brackets they are but there not too high priced.

On any of these they may sit a little low in the G Body cars but if you have power seat tracks you can raise them up or add a spacer to the brackets where they attach to the seats.
      An internet search for "Pontiac Recaro seats" and "Pontiac Lear Siegler seats" and BMW (3 series) on Autotrader, Cardomain and Ebaymotors should get you more pictures. (I was just looking for the same seats myself.)
      Larry.

Nice thanks for the suggestions Larry. I'm hoping to gather most of my parts before winter hits then get building over winter.

Today I gathered up all of my change i had laying around (in some jars and in the ash tray of my truck etc.) and so far I have counted out a little over $200 just in change lol. It will all be going to the Olds. Well and maybe a burger.

I would like better ( more comfortable) seats in my G-body ( Grand National ) but want to keep the factory look ... What would be a good option ? I figure Id have to have them custom stitched if I could find the material to match. Im on the big side of average build 6,1" 227 lbs so the bolters are a bit tight and pinch my legs..

Thanks

77ta:
      See the post I put up above. You can always have the upholstery
      shop modify the bolsters to fit you better.
      Larry.

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Country Flag: United States
      If you try the later model Volvo seats, be sure you spend some time with your butt in one before you pony up the cash. They are an acquired taste- wife loves hers, I hate it.
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

I picked up a set of '06 gto seats, i plan on modifying them to fit in my car. they are really comfortable, but they are real big. You couldnt use a center console with them. I had '00 camaro seats, and those are really small actually. I'll post pics when i put the gto seats in, if i go through with it. It'll be a while till i get to it.
      Steve C.

Steve,
      This may be of some help installing those:
      http://www.montecarloss.com/communit...38&nt=4&page=1
      Larry.

omg. I seriously doubted they would fit, when I was looking at them. HA thanks a bunch for that link. They look awesome in there.
      Steve C.

Oh man I love those GTO seats...About how much would a set of those run me? Don't care about the center console so much as a good seat to plant my butt in.

This place says they have them all the time: http://www.clevelandpickapart.com/
      They also show up on EBay Motors. Look under Seats and
      Pontiac or GTO. I've seen them there from $600 and up,
      some listings also include the rear seat.
      I'd even try your local Craigslist or car-parts.com for local
      salvage yards / used parts availability.
      Larry.

Finally heading to my local yard tomorrow to see what I can find, I did a quick run today and noticed a couple 80's Camaro's a 90's Firebird and I think there was even a wrecked police Impala to bad the engine was yanked.

Well I was out at my wrecking yard looking at front clips that didn't pan out. However on my way back out something big shiny and black caught my eye on the far side of the row. I went to investigate and it was a black Grand Prix GTP. Inside was a set of very nice black leather bucket seats with 3 motors on the driver side.

Well I ran up asked them how much and after a little wheeling and dealing I was driving my truck back into the yard to go pick them up.

The passenger side is pretty much perfect, and the driver side has a couple loose stitches that is it. I need to clean them up as they are quite dirty (just dust from the yard). I'm actually thinking of going back and picking up the back seat so I can use the material to recover my back seat .

I will post another pic after I clean them up and all.

Whatcha think?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com