Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Pro-Touring '65 Galaxie: Project MyGal

If you have read any of my other threads about the Galaxie, then you know how much the car means to me. My Grandfather bought it new in '65 and sold it to my Father for $1 when he graduated from college. Well, this past May, I graduated from college and my Dad sold it to me for $1. Every time I sit in the car it brings back memories. Hell just getting a whiff of the old leather seats brings back memories from my childhood. Some of you know what it is like to have a car that you will never sell, nor even think about selling. That is what this car is to me. It might not be worth anything to you all here, but I would rather have it than the '69 Camaro that my dad has had for 16 years now.

Anyhoo, this thread will serve as my Official Build Thread for the car. It will be a long process, but I am going to try to keep the car on the road as much as possible during the build.

The car: 1965 Ford Galaxie 500, 2 door, 352 FE, 3 on the tree, bench seat, stock 9" rear. It is your run of the mill Galaxie, but it came with a decent chrome package. The plans for the car will probably change throughout the build, so I will not compile a big list of parts. Just keep in mind that I want a good Pro-Touring build with the same type of performance as everybody else, just in a bigger car. I am also heavily influenced by the minimalist and streetfighter build types.

I will post pictures and info as I go, so feel free to ask questions or comment along the way.

It has been a long time coming, but here goes!

Picture of my Grandpa sitting in it:

Picture of my uncle standing beside it:

JC Scott

Beginning of Project:

Chops

JC Scott

First order of business is the brakes. Talked with Tobin @ Kore3. He is going to try to help me out.

Drum brake dis-assembly:

JC Scott

Working in the dark I see! I respect that.. and its what I have to do to work on my car with my son asleep.

I can't wait to see this finished, or at least with wheels and paint!

I LOVE Boats (big cars) with big wheels, low, and tucked. they look sexy.
      Travis

1968 Mustang Coupe WideBody
      1968 Barracuda Formula S Sold 10/10/10

My Barracuda.
      It's more than just an old car,
      It's my one freedom.

Its about time! Been waiting to see you get going on this thing. Did you check out the scare bird conversion kit? SSBC makes a bolt on kit also. More pics!

the 1st thing you need to do is get some jackstands and a real jack. you are going to hurt yourself like that. atleast place the wheel under the rocker area so it will catch the car when it falls. jacks (or jackstands) on pavement are not that great either. they sink into the pavement and will tip. some think plywood or metal plate will help.

otherwise that is a cool story and the car is a keeper. I have my grandfathers old truck so i understand the feeling behind keeping them. i will never sell that old clunker
      Chris V
      SOLD

cool car. keep us posted.

maybe it would be easy to convert the column shift to floor shift?
      dave.t
      86 Olds 442 - Project If It Ain't Broke, Take It Apart and Fix It
      74 Javelin AMX - stocker

Quote Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
      Working in the dark I see! I respect that.. and its what I have to do to work on my car with my son asleep.

I can't wait to see this finished, or at least with wheels and paint!

I LOVE Boats (big cars) with big wheels, low, and tucked. they look sexy.
      Seems like I always end up working in the dark for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mulisha00 View Post
      Its about time! Been waiting to see you get going on this thing. Did you check out the scare bird conversion kit? SSBC makes a bolt on kit also. More pics!
      Thanks man, I know it has taken me a while to get started. The Scarebird deal didn't look like what I wanted. I was hoping for something a little bigger than what i'd have to use with that bracket. The SSBC kit says that you can't use a factory swaybar, which means that they probably didn't engineer it very well. More pics to come!

Quote Originally Posted by SatisTraction View Post
      the 1st thing you need to do is get some jackstands and a real jack. you are going to hurt yourself like that. atleast place the wheel under the rocker area so it will catch the car when it falls. jacks (or jackstands) on pavement are not that great either. they sink into the pavement and will tip. some think plywood or metal plate will help.

otherwise that is a cool story and the car is a keeper. I have my grandfathers old truck so i understand the feeling behind keeping them. i will never sell that old clunker
      I had some jackstands under it, you just can't see them from the pictures. I do need a nice jack, but I knew if I put off getting started, it'd be a week before I got a decent jack.

Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost View Post
      cool car. keep us posted.

maybe it would be easy to convert the column shift to floor shift?
      That's all far away right now, but I doubt it will be a problem. The XL models came with 4 speeds and buckets with a console, and I doubt they had different tunnels or floor pans.

Thanks for all of the interest so far.
      JC Scott

JC, very cool car...and plenty of it to go around. That front spindle looks somewhat unique to the big Fords of the era, but doesn't look like it will require too much effort to adapt some big'ol brakes onto them if that's the way you'd like to go. Thanks for thinking of KORE3 for your braking needs.

Your photo-chops of the car have it sitting pretty low. I don't know if you've spoken to anyone yet about the suspension, but Mark at SC&C always seems to be a wealth of information almost regardless of the subject. It would be good to find out sooner rather than later if you're going to be swapping spindles to something different for any reason.

Tobin
      KORE3
      It's what I does.

JC great chops,I love the Galaxies myself, I'm doing a 65 4Door cruiser right now.I did a T-Bird Granada exchange for the brakes.If you come up a better brake system,bigger please share.

Darryl

1965 Ford Galaxie Big Block FE & 4 Doors Project HULK

Quote Originally Posted by Apogee View Post
      JC, very cool car...and plenty of it to go around. That front spindle looks somewhat unique to the big Fords of the era, but doesn't look like it will require too much effort to adapt some big'ol brakes onto them if that's the way you'd like to go. Thanks for thinking of KORE3 for your braking needs.

Your photo-chops of the car have it sitting pretty low. I don't know if you've spoken to anyone yet about the suspension, but Mark at SC&C always seems to be a wealth of information almost regardless of the subject. It would be good to find out sooner rather than later if you're going to be swapping spindles to something different for any reason.

Tobin
      KORE3
      Tobin, I'm glad to see that my email made it to you. From what you say, it all sounds like good news so far! I had planned on getting in touch with sc&c by the end of the week. Any brake involved "things" I should keep in mind when I get in touch with him? Also, let me know what you need from me next. I'm not sure what the process is on your end. Thanks.

Darryl-As for the bigger brakes, that is what Tobin and I are trying to figure out. I will keep you posted. Good luck with your build also my friend!
      JC Scott

A chop by Formula... getting closer to what is in my head

JC Scott

Pulled the spindle off.... what a chore! I hate spring compressors! they always scare me. Other than that, the ball joints separated very easily.
      JC Scott

JC Scott

I like the concept pics you have there. I dig big Fords!

Quote Originally Posted by hechtrod View Post
      I like the concept pics you have there. I dig big Fords!
      Thanks, they're a work in progress, because I always think of new ideas and color schemes...
      JC Scott

Country Flag: Iceland

Thanks guys.

Got the hub out of the drum yesterday and removed the wheel studs. Will be shipping to Kore3 sometime today for some good R&D and hopefully a big brake kit for us '65 guys!
      JC Scott

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com