Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 71 Nova

Nathan:

Congrats on the auto-cross. It sounds like a lot of fun. I will be trying my first event this spring, hopefully.

On behalf of the Nova guys, we'd love to see more pics!!!

I thought that you previously mentioned an intent to daily drive the car? Is that still the plan? That's my goal, so I would love to hear feedback on any issues you have found from doing so.

Mike
      Mike F.

Where is the video from the auto-x?

Your Nova looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      I read someplace that you notched the frame for alternator clearance. Do you have any pictures showing this? What alternator did you use? An f-body, truck, or?

Car looks great. Congrats!
      x2 would like to know as well

Yes, notched the subframe and used a truck 105 amp alternator. No pics but the notch was about 1" deep and about 3" back. Sorry no videos from the autox, I was there by myself.
      I drove the car almost daily for two months. All different kinds of driving, stop and go, freeway 80mph cruising etc. I am really pleased with the overdrive and gear ratio as it allows easy cruising with low rpms. Im kind of bummed though that I didnt ever run into any "players" on the freeway. The thing just pulls. One annoying thing I would change is I would concentrate more on insulating ALL components to eliminate squeaks. I know it has to be hard to do on a 70's car.
      I plan on bumping up the boost and maybe trying to get it out to Suoth Dakota to Dynotune for a three bar tune. I plan on running real street eliminator at Car Craft next year and a little more dyno power would be nice. I am also planning on changing the tires to something stickier to try to get in the nines and grip more at autox.
      Nathan Shaw
      71 Nova, 1000+whp 5.3, 8 second autoXer.

Nice car!

Country Flag: United States
      good job on phr spread cant wait to get mine going great build
      john
      1972 NOVA SPEED TECH TORQUE ARM AND FRONT ARMS , RUSHFORTH NIGHT TRAINS, DRIVERZ INC
      BUILD LINK
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...t-(GREY-MATTER)

Dude Ive been drooling over your car in the PHR april'11 mag for months now! This is the kind of build I look forward to doing someday, keep it up! That thing is beast!

Jesse
      1972 Nova: Full CCP disk brakes and suspension, 355ci, 700R4, 4.10 gears, all flat black with 4" cowl hood.
      2008 Mustang GT: Steeda performance parts, Hooker Headers and X pipe, Flowmaster muffs, 295/30R20 tires in back, everything is black.

Sweet car, wish I could have checked it better and talked with you more before the gates opened at CFR Saturday. But I had to get back to work.
      1980 Chevy Monza, 305/TH350 soon to be LS1/T56
      http://www.forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26442

Country Flag: France
      Nice car for sure, this engine in mine would the cherry on the cake! Good luck getting the squeaks dampened, the easier would be ear plugs!! More pics would be a cake topper.

Cheers

wow that car is saweeet!!!!! love the green whats the color
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

MAN I want a lift in my Garage too-- very cool project
      John
      71' Nova

I have a 1970 Nova with a 10 bolt rear end and leaf springs how do I get the stance that you have on your Nova? I love that looks awesome and also like the front end stance. Any suggestions or can you point me in the right direction.....dont want to tub it want to keep rear seats just need more meat back there and for the tire to fit inside the fender. would also like to lower the front without rubbing anything of course

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 80 MONZTA View Post
      Sweet car, wish I could have checked it better and talked with you more before the gates opened at CFR Saturday. But I had to get back to work.
      It was good chatting with you. I really raises some eyebrows running in the low tens with a pro-touring type car on 17" wheels and street tires.

Quote Originally Posted by craigs73 View Post
      wow that car is saweeet!!!!! love the green whats the color
      Thanks, the color is 03 Ford Dark Highland Green Metallic. Ive seen you over on Steve's Nova site quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by baswinfo View Post
      I have a 1970 Nova with a 10 bolt rear end and leaf springs how do I get the stance that you have on your Nova? I love that looks awesome and also like the front end stance. Any suggestions or can you point me in the right direction.....dont want to tub it want to keep rear seats just need more meat back there and for the tire to fit inside the fender. would also like to lower the front without rubbing anything of course
      I using Caltrac split mono leaf springs with a 3" drop. You just have to ask when ordering from Calvert. They ride nicely and perform well. I was a little nervous running corners with a split spring but it is working good. The front is a Stage 2 plus from SC&C. I love it but wish I could put some Speedtech spindles on it to get it down another inch. Im on stock spindles. The front springs are 2" drop Hotchkis that have had the coils cut 1 1/2. It doesnt bottom out but its very close to the bumpstops. I would like to upgrade to SC&C lower a arms also to improve that. Driverz Inc can hook you up on wheels. The sweet spot on the front is a 8" wheel with 5" backspace. Its tight but it fits.
      Nathan Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by LS1NOVA View Post
      Thanks for the compliments guys.

Thanks, the color is 03 Ford Dark Highland Green Metallic. Ive seen you over on Steve's Nova site quite a bit.

yeah im over there quite a bit lol...
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

Any update on the Nova, I'd really like some more info on the turbo, I'm going to do a 5.3 in my Nova with a 76/88 or something,
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

I sold the 6.0 turbo combo to a guy that wanted it more than I did and built a new single turbo 5.3. It made 823hp on the dyno. Im putting some forged pistons and rods in it now so we can turn it up more without worry. Looking for 800rwhp. I just posted a little of the build thread over on LS1tech in the FI section. If you have any specific questions on the turbo stuff you can call me to chat about it. 763-221-175Five. Nate

Doing some front suspension stuff as well similiar to the Tru-turn.
      Nathan Shaw

Cool, Nate, I'll check out the tech site, I'm on there too, Did you add some motor specs??
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

I didn't see what kind of motor mounts you used...? Also, did you need to do any tens tunnel clearance to get that 4l-80e in there?

Very awsome build. I just read the entire thread. Any new updates??

Quote Originally Posted by DJW32 View Post
      I didn't see what kind of motor mounts you used...? Also, did you need to do any tens tunnel clearance to get that 4l-80e in there?
      The motors mounts I made using plate steel.

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedSgt View Post
      Very awsome build. I just read the entire thread. Any new updates??
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve68 View Post
      Cool, Nate, I'll check out the tech site, I'm on there too, Did you add some motor specs??
      The engine is a 2005 L33 5.3 alum block, stock crank, Wiseco pistons (9.5 to 1), Eagle Rods, stock 5.3 799 heads, 224/228 114 cam, LS1 intake and fuel rails, 5.3 MLS gaskets, ARP head studs.

It hasnt made it on a dyno yet but I did take it to the dragstrip recently and had a new best of 10.39 on 17" drag radials. No suspension adjustments, stiff shocks, sway bar hooked up, etc. This was on 19 pounds of boost.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7PVH...layer_embedded

I also finished up the front suspension stuff with AFCO adjustable spring buckets, 650lb springs, 2" dropped spindles, and Chevelle steering arms mounted backwards. I relocated the center link tie rod mounting points upward around 2 inches. Lots of room for 10" wide wheels and tires now but I'll have to wait for the budget to allow different wheels, tires, and narrow splined swaybar. Went a little more aggressive with the alignment and have the camber at -1.75 now. Feels great! Hopefully will be running RSE at Car Craft Nats next weekend.
      Nathan Shaw

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com