Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 71 Nova

Forged 6.0 was around 2600, assembled it myself though.
      Turbo setup $2000 for everything, homebuilt from mandrel bends.

Nathan Shaw
      71 Nova, 1000+whp 5.3, 8 second autoXer.

What did you do with your manifolds? Are those just flipped shortys?

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by small block lsx View Post
      what did you do with your manifolds? Are those just flipped shortys?
      Post #26 in this thread
      Quote Originally Posted by ls1nova View Post
      (2) left manifolds from an ls4. Found in the the monte ss, pontiac gxp, buick lacrosse super. 2.5" on the hot pipes, 3.5" on the downpipe all the way back.
      Nick

'67 Chevelle 350/th350..... soon to be all aluminum 5.3
      '73 Chevelle 4.8/th350

Well my first experience of someone else having the car not going good. Its been at the dyno tune shop for two weeks and they havent touched it. So much for thrashing it together for Car Craft in a couple weeks. Darn.
      Nathan Shaw

I'm sorry to hear this man...but unfortunately I have grown used to this. Whether I like it or not, I have gained a bit of a pain in the ass reputation when I let other people work on the car, but they still like me a lot because I am respectful, talk with all the guys and am never a dyck about things...I am just there an awful lot or on the phone as much as i can afford.

This may be impossible in your situation due to distance or whatever, but just be strong man...ultimately it will be so worth it.

Btw, I might as well ask this now, but I am sort of copying your build in my '69 442...it just blew me away and I love it. I will still be running a MAF tune with probably an LS3 instake but was wondering if you got your manifolds at a dealer or find them in a junk yard?

Thanks man and keep up the awesome work...you got a lot of fans!

Dave

man that sucks but u still have an awesome build!!! i would like to see more turbo plumbing pics if you have any cause im going with the 5.3 mpt70 build in my chevelle!!! i bet it does good

Im a driveline tech at the dealer so I paid 10% over cost, the manifolds ended up around $250 for the pair.
      Thanks guys
      Nathan Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by LS1NOVA View Post
      Im a driveline tech at the dealer so I paid 10% over cost, the manifolds ended up around $250 for the pair.
      Thanks guys

Interesting...I might have to bother you when you get a chance...and slip you some cash for the mannies

Looking great though man!

What are you using for your injection controller...don't remember reading that, but I am blind probably.

Dave

Low impedence 95 lbs injectors controlled by a Acceronics Versafueler piggybacked to a LS1 pcm. If thats what you meant by injection?
      Nathan Shaw

Great build, looks like things are coming together.

What fuel filters are you running before the pumps?

Jegs before and RobbMC after
      Nathan Shaw

Low impedence 95 lbs injectors controlled by a Acceronics Versafueler piggybacked to a LS1 pcm. If thats what you meant by injection?
      Dude, thanks so much for that bit of info! I totally forgot about the Versafueler! So basically you hanged up your computer to read 95lb injectors and let the versa fueler take care of the rest.

I assume I could still use the DBW throttle body on the 90-deg neck but (here comes the dumb question) it does not look like you are running a MAF. Could you PM me some info about how you are tuning the car? Is it speed density or do I just not see the MAF?

I am probably WAY overthinking this but this is my first dabbling in boosted application so I am asking a TON of questions. Again, your build is my inspiration!

Thanks man,
      Dave

Well my first experience of someone else having the car not going good. Its been at the dyno tune shop for two weeks and they havent touched it. So much for thrashing it together for Car Craft in a couple weeks. Darn.
      That's messed up! Where are you located?

GM EFI Tuner
      1980 Z28 Pro-touring project - sold
      2002 Trans Am 9.41 at 143mph on pump gas and drag radials - sold

Jegs before and RobbMC after
      Reason I asked is, I'm running the same prefilter before an inline walbro 255lph pump. I swear when the pump is running I hear the fuel cavitating and I can see this on my fuel gauge as well (pressure fluctuates as if sucking air into line but tank is full).

Have you experienced this?

Some people say that a 40 micron filtration is too small for prefilter use and you'll get cavitation like I think I'm seeing. Anyways, just something to look out for. I'm probably going to be switching to either RobbMC filters or aeromotive.

Sucks it won't be at Car Craft, it would have been great to see it in person.
      Jon
      71 Nova LT1/4L60E

Quote Originally Posted by LSXZ28 View Post
      That's messed up! Where are you located?
      Im in Minneapolis, if you think thats messed up, it took them 5 tries to get a base tune to run it. There the only ones in the metro with E85 experience. Id trailer it to Dynotune is South Dakota (best E85 boost tuner in the states from what I hear) but my wife and I are expecting our first any day.
      Nathan Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by BanditDave View Post
      Dude, thanks so much for that bit of info! I totally forgot about the Versafueler! So basically you hanged up your computer to read 95lb injectors and let the versa fueler take care of the rest.

I assume I could still use the DBW throttle body on the 90-deg neck but (here comes the dumb question) it does not look like you are running a MAF. Could you PM me some info about how you are tuning the car? Is it speed density or do I just not see the MAF?

I am probably WAY overthinking this but this is my first dabbling in boosted application so I am asking a TON of questions. Again, your build is my inspiration!

Thanks man,
      Dave
      Ill just post it here so any others know too. The stock pcm is limited in the MAF tables to around 500-600 rwhp (from what Ive read, no firsthand esp). It will be tuned in closed loop speed density. Still has front 02's. Some people tune with open loop speed density and eliminate 02's altogether.
      Nathan Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by 350SS View Post
      Reason I asked is, I'm running the same prefilter before an inline walbro 255lph pump. I swear when the pump is running I hear the fuel cavitating and I can see this on my fuel gauge as well (pressure fluctuates as if sucking air into line but tank is full).

Have you experienced this?

Some people say that a 40 micron filtration is too small for prefilter use and you'll get cavitation like I think I'm seeing. Anyways, just something to look out for. I'm probably going to be switching to either RobbMC filters or aeromotive.
      Good to know! If I had to do it again I would just stick them inside the cell with stock type socks on a RobbMC or Tanks Inc sender.
      Nathan Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by LT1Nova View Post
      Sucks it won't be at Car Craft, it would have been great to see it in person.
      Sure does! Id like to check out your ride though if I make it.
      Nathan Shaw

Good to know! If I had to do it again I would just stick them inside the cell with stock type socks on a RobbMC or Tanks Inc sender.
      Used the Jegs filter as a prefilter in almost the exact set-up as you and the cavitation you are seeing is correct...I got rid of it and got a 100 micron Aeromotive and the problem disappeared.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com