Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

need help on 454 engine build

Im getting ready to start to build a 454 stroked to 496 but really dont know what parts to buy I was looking at scat rotating assembleys but not sure what part # to order I am starting with a 93 454 4 bolt main tall block with a 1 piece rear seal do I still have to go with a 1 piece rear seal or not ? I was also looking at the procomp alum heads on ebay are they good heads to go with for the money ? next is should I go with a hyd roller cam set up or just a hdy or flat tappet set uproller is a lot of money is it really worth it I want a large lift cam I love the way they sound . this will be in a 68 camaro street car I have a 400 tranny a 10 inch converter 3500 stall and a 12 bolt rear with 4:11 posi rear I want it to run on pump gas and be reliable thank for any info

Country Flag: United States
      I have had the scat rotating assembly in an old build of mine but not sure of part numbers. I bought an entire rotating assembly and if i remember correctly the different part numbers were mostly for different compression pistons and oversize.

I do believe I have seen a kit to make a 1 piece seal into a 2 piece seal but for the most part the 1 piece seal is fine in my opinion.

the cam situation is all about the setup and how much money you want to spend. if you are building a 9:1 compression engine a good hydraulic cam is fine. if you are going a little more and want to spend more than a roller would be great.

just my .02
      Chad Read

9.5 grand and you can have a 540 merlin III block (expanded water jets for maximum cooling, indexed lifter bores, 1045 billet steel main caps, etc), built by Jack Merkel Racing Engines, with 10.1:1 compression, 625hp/659tq@4800RPM, 672hp/600tq@5900RPM, (tuned on SuperFlo dyno), solid roller cam, all of the highest quality parts (JE Pistions, Brodix BB2Plus heads, crane roller rockers, etc.), real easy lash on the valve train (16:18), etc. solid rollercam, rollerlifters, roller valvetrain (none of those hydraulic worries)Custom Canton Road Racing oil pan (exact type of one that old man canton ran on his big block corvette). This engine was built for mid range power and to run on the local road courses (Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, etc).

You want it, let me know, we'll talk further.

If you don't know who Jack Merkel is, google him and his son (Scott Merkel), then you'll quickly know what kind of engine it is.

Scat is on the lower end of the crankshaft world...If you are going to beat on it, put a Callies crank in.. Money well spent..
      - Mark
      67' RS Camaro - 468/476hp, polished, show car
      68' Camaro drag car-507/752hp,-13.1:1, only 241 miles
      79' TransAm- 540/763hp, Dave Monday custom built chasis,pump gas-10.2:1, LSM,CFS,Callies,AFR
      80' Z/28- all original, black w/ red stripes, 2nd owner, loaded, all paperwork - excellent driver

heck go look at www.ohiocrank.com, I have sold several of their rotating assemblies, good stuff.

I think the Scat and Eagle's stuff some from the same forgings, just private labeled for oneanother. I have run a bunch of Eagle 4340 stuff without ever an issue. It's priced right, and from what it sounds, you aren't looking to twist the think 9 grand with 25 PSI going through it. The 4340 crank (4.25 stroke will get you to a 496 with the right rods) from Eagle is something you can build on later as well. Go with a good forged H beam rod with ARP capscrews.

Do some research with regards to cam stuff. I have called Comp many times and have been lead in the right direction every time. They have been doing valvetrain for decades- use their knowledge- it's free.

Stay away from the Pro Comp heads- they are junk. Poor castings, unreliable parts, funky ports etc etc etc. Heads make the power. If your budget only allows for an iron head, don't be afraid to run them. Some of the iron units from Merlin, Dart, and even a massaged set of GM 990s can make some serious steam on a street/ strip car.

Hope that helps.
      Dave Smith
      29 Ford Roadster Pickup blown 327 and stupid
      67 Chevelle 396/5 speed PT
      65 El Camino L79

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com