Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Oil Questions

Oil Questions

We are about to fire up the engine and I have some questions on engine oils.

Engine is a 327 with a hyd. retro roller rocker cam.

1. Best break in oil?

2. Since it's a roller cam do I need to worry about zddp for break in and normal use?

3. If we run the engine for 30-45 mins from 2k-3k rpm will that suffice as break in time and seat the rings?

4. After break in, go synthetic or dino based oil?

5. Best weight for a 400ish HP sbc where climate ranges from 20's to high 90's?

Country Flag: United States
      Run a non synthetic/synthetic blend at first in fav brand, start it an give it good shke down, change filter and top off, first drain at about 500, then next at 1500, then run normal changes, then pick favorite synthetic after atleast 5000-7500. Me I really like to try to run atleast 5000 before switching to synthetic, and dontworry about weights, synthetics do great, my truck has a 355 and bottomend was set on loose side znd it has ran 5w40 shell rotella synthetic all its life and makes n early 60psi down road with high volume pump.
      Rings break in in first few turns of engine if you used moly rings, cast rings little longer as they are harder and do need rougher finish.
      With roller just keep rpms up till everything gets oiled good10 to 15 minutes.
      As for the weight, I like the 5w40 rotella synthetic, it can be found everywhere it seems. As for starting just use the shell regualr oil in say 10w30. Now a can of the engine oil suppliment from a GM dealer cant hurt as it does bring a little more ZDDP to break in plate.
      I use cheaper filters for like STP or house brand from parts stores, then switch to ACDelco for GMs and Motorcraft for Fords, also one of the best filtering/least restrictive are Wix/NAPA gold for aftermarket filters, purolator isnt bad. IF anyone gets near your new engine with a fram HIT THEM, HARD. Fram filters are pure crap. Harley Davidson tore some down and they were not even built right.
      I had a blueprint stock 355 loose 19hp and 15 lbft of torque on dyno with Fram over stock AC Delco. Had AC on engine, forgot our parts, dyno guy loaned us a Fram and we though something broke, engine or ddyno, kept chasing problem, decided to change oil (changed filter after first start and warm up) I got back from WalMart with more oil (shell rotella T 15w40) and AC filters, put new AC filter on and tada power came back.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com