Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Pulley sizes, temp gauge, water pump- hot 400 SB

I am working out some cooling issues. for my 400 sb, well actually a 408. 488 HP- 504 TQ . 700R4 tranny. I am aware of the issues overbored 400's can come with. So going through the steps of elimination here.

Want to run my rationale by you guys here on assessing heat issue.
      Car runs at 210 in traffic, and 195 on highway. Fans bring it down to 200, on high or low in traffic, but up to 210 if I am hard on it block to block. Temp gauge does not go over 210, sticks there when in traffic.

So I am looking at pulley issues, water pump, or maybe the temp gauge is off and it is actually cooler. I say ths because why would temp stick at 210? Something is holding it there at that temp, so some controlling of water temp in effect.

I have a a BeCool Rad #82184 rated for 700 HP
      Taurus fan set up.
      Standard water pump
      Crank shaft pulley is 5 1/2 "
      Water Pump pulley is 6"
      Sun Pro temp gauge

I was thinking cheapest fixes first or do I have to do all?

1. Test temp gauge, maybe it is off and I do not have heat issues. Is this possible?

2. Water pump over driven due to pulley sizes??
      Crank shaft pulley is 5 1/2 "
      Water Pump pulley is 6"
      Is this ok> If no, what sizes should I go to?

3. Go to high flow water pump. Recommendations?

Thanks
      70 Nova - 406 sb -488 HP/504 TQ-3:73's
      http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h266/steelratnova/

Country Flag: United States
      What thermostat are you running? What temperature do the fans come on, when do they go turn off?

210 isn't outrageously hot, for reference 3rd gen camaros didn't turn the electric fans on until 222 degrees.

Along the same lines, Im looking for a fan switch that comes on closer to 210 degrees rather than the current ~220. Anyone have a reference to an off the shelf switch?

I have tried both a 180 and 160 thermostat. Fans go on at 190.
      70 Nova - 406 sb -488 HP/504 TQ-3:73's
      http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h266/steelratnova/

Country Flag: United States

400sb

im running a 413sbc had the same issues when running a stock bb rad w/dual electric fans(plastic shroud covered all of rad), 180 tstat and stock pulleys w a/c. Switched to a prc rad w/aluminum shroud that covers every inch/ spal fan controller/march style track pulley system. now it runs 180 all day long in traffic/on the road, anywhere. i think the rad/shroud is the key.

Pulley ratios play a large part in a cooling systems function. Nascar teams taylor WP ratios for each track they run depending on there cooling requirements. Your ratio is .92 which would be great for an average RPM of 4500-5000 but not good for a street car. What we found works best for a street car is 1.3:1 overdriving the water pump. That being said you would need a 7" crank pulley and a 5.25" waterpump pulley to put the ratio correct.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com