Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

power steering cooler

Would It be of benefit to use the trans cooler built in to my radiator as a power steering cooler. My car has an Lt1/t56 combo and the ps pump is on the passanger side next to the tranny cooler. And the remote resivouir can be mounted higher than the top line to prevent drain back. I have done a search and could not find a definite answer.
      Thanks
      Karl

79 trans-am (like i needed another one)
      81 turbo trans-am (project "over my head")
      67 c-10 (best thing I ever got form ebay)
      63 austin healey sprite ????
      58 chevy pickup (future money pit)
      92 firebird (beater)(for-sale)

Karl

Country Flag: United States
      Sometimes it's easier to use a separate cooler and that way you don't add to the thermal load of the radiator. Power steering coolers don't need to be really big so they are easy to package.
      70 Mach I, dry sump & lots of mods
      70 1/2 Z28 project car

The added heat to the radiator should not be a problem at all due to the minimal PS fluid capacity. However, is is generally recommended that these are not used as PS coolers because of the flow restriction. A good PS pump should not need a cooler at all.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Thanks for the replies. I guess i'll buy another cooler.
      79 trans-am (like i needed another one)
      81 turbo trans-am (project "over my head")
      67 c-10 (best thing I ever got form ebay)
      63 austin healey sprite ????
      58 chevy pickup (future money pit)
      92 firebird (beater)(for-sale)

Karl

You can get one off an LS1 Fbody. It's the aluminum thing that was in the upper radiator hose on many of those cars. I believe they had to be SS or WS6 cars. Those work well for what they do. Matt is right though, a good PS pump won't need a cooler. If your pump is stock, it's not a good pump. It spins too fast is what ti comes down to. So doing auto cross duty will kill it and or over heat the fluid. Turn One has finally made an LT1 pump and it's a great piece. http://www.turnone-steering.com/lt1.html These guys know their stuff
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

No use an open air one, I like finding old 70s Ford cars supper tough.

Turn One is good stuff, but the cooler is still a must for road race applications.
      1968 Camaro RS/SS, LS7 with Katech mods, T56 Magnum, C6Z06 Brakes
      1968 Camaro RS Convertible LS3/480hp/4L70E
      1962 Corvette 327-340hp stock
      1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe
      1967 Corvette L79 convertible
      2006 Corvette Z06
      2011 Corvette GS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 68sixspeed View Post
      Turn One is good stuff, but the cooler is still a must for road race applications.
      Not always, with a good pump. With my KRC pump and a decent resevoir & fluid, it doesn't overheat after 45 minutes of lapping.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Quote Originally Posted by silver69camaro View Post
      Not always, with a good pump. With my KRC pump and a decent resevoir & fluid, it doesn't overheat after 45 minutes of lapping.
      Are you running slicks? Jump over onto CC's and the road-race section on corvetteforum-- it's a common problem, even with a good pump. It does depend a lot on the car, track, etc.
      2006 Corvette Z06

We installed the Turn One pumps on our autocross cars at the beginning of last year and solved all of our power steering fluid problems.
      Bret Voelkel
      Director of Innovation Fox Powered Vehicles Group
      Founder/ Former Owner
      RideTech/Air Ride Technologies, Inc.

How do you spell Impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
      You can get one off an LS1 Fbody. It's the aluminum thing that was in the upper radiator hose on many of those cars. I believe they had to be SS or WS6 cars.
      I just sold one off a parts car I stripped. I can't imagine it is very useful and looks like a pretty good rad hose restriction.

Edit: Here is a cross sectional pic I took.

Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Just put a cooler on and it solved my problems. The one I used was simple. Basically it is a 1" tube with cooling fins that is 10" long. Just but it in the return line.
      Please see my PT Garage for more info on ProBell Camaro. 67 style,99 comfort, options and drive-ability with NASCAR Late Model suspension front and rear.https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/vb...?do=view&g=106
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Car Domain PG
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2565383

Are you running slicks? Jump over onto CC's and the road-race section on corvetteforum-- it's a common problem, even with a good pump. It does depend a lot on the car, track, etc.

99% of those guys are using stock pumps. You gotta have a good pump! I'm on CC everyday.

KRC, in my opinion, makes the best power steering pump available today. They cater to all types of NASCAR and road race applications, and they don't carry any type of cooler nor do they ever recommend one. A good pump combined with a properly designed steering system and hydraulic circuit should not require a pump.
      Last edited by silver69camaro; 04-16-2009 at 05:11 AM.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Matt- maybe you just need to drive a little harder

A cut and paste from TurnOne on a c5z corvette discussion-
      -------------
      When we put high loads on our steering systems at the track, this increases the pressure/loads on the power steering pump. The power steering pump does have a bypass valve built into it if the pressure/loads become too large for it to handle. However, once the power steering pump starts activating that bypass valve, it won't last very long before the pump fails.

Turn One offers a couple of different pumps for our cars. One is their standard pump and the other is an upgraded pump designed for people who run big, fat, sticky front tires on the front of their cars (this is the one I ordered of course). It sounds to me like their upgraded pump is:

1) Designed to operate at higher pressure
      2) Requires less horsepower to operate
      3) Will reduce power steering fluid temps for guys like us around 20 degF

The upgraded pump costs a little more than there standard pump. I don't recall the exact number but it was around $50. The upgraded pump costs $275. They also offer pumps for us with AN fittings rather than the fittings our cars use when stock. And they have an aluminum pulley for $65 which has slots cut into the pulley disk which allow access to the pump mounting bolts. This allows the pump to be removed without taking the pulley off.

I asked if he felt we needed a larger power steering fluid cooler. He said he didn't really know, but the magic temp for power steering fluid is 275 degF. So what we should do is do some hot laps and then come in and measure the fluid temp. If it is under 275 degF, we're fine. If it is over, then we need a larger cooler. Because the cooler is on the return side of the power steering circuit, the fluid running through the cooler is on the order of 30 psi so we don't need any type of cooler which can tolerate high pressures. A regular engine oil cooler is fine.
      --------------
      The c5 and c6 z06's all came with PS coolers for a reason, and a lot of us tracking the non-z cars have to add them. A lot of BMW's come with them too, I doubt if they spent the $ at the factory for no reason. It's maybe not a must for everyone, but if you've ever had PS give out in the twisties, it's not a pleasant thing. The cooler fixed my issues on both the 68 and my c5.
      2006 Corvette Z06

The c5 and c6 z06's all came with PS coolers for a reason, and a lot of us tracking the non-z cars have to add them. A lot of BMW's come with them too, I doubt if they spent the $ at the factory for no reason. It's maybe not a must for everyone, but if you've ever had PS give out in the twisties, it's not a pleasant thing. The cooler fixed my issues on both the 68 and my c5.

Again, use a good pump! You can't compare a OE pump to a quality pump built for this purpose. My BMW 330i PS fluid gets way hotter than the Camaro during lapping, and it only has 225mm front tires, versus 275mm on the Camaro.

If you use a OE pump, yes you will probably have to use a cooler. If you use a good purpose-built pump, you shouldn't have to.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

I talked with Jeff at TurnOne about this problem-- at length. My AFR stuff was overheating, and my ps would go away after just a few laps on an autoX. It lasted longer on a big track, but failed when I came into the pits.

Jeff convinced me to try one of his pumps without a cooler. I haven't had a problem since.

Jeff explained that the primary cause of heat in ps systems is cavitation. Solve the cavitation, and it removes the heat problem. It worked for me, so far.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      I just sold one off a parts car I stripped. I can't imagine it is very useful and looks like a pretty good rad hose restriction.

Edit: Here is a cross sectional pic I took.

Those cores are made by Laminova, they are very efficient.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Damn. Oh well, they are easy to get.

I'd still think they represent a water restriction. That upper hose is not too big to start with.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

I am considering putting a temp sensor on my PS remote tank. i have the room on my Racepak setup for more sensors and keep telling myself that a sensor at the PS is a lot more important than monitoring the rear temp.

What do you guys think since this thread is about PS temp ?

Jim,

PS heat is a real problem, and having a gauge on it can give you a warning before it fails.

The same is true in the rear, but I haven't heard as much about possible problems there.

If it were me, I'd do the ps pump first. Maybe put sensors in both, and switch the gauge back and forth?

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com