Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

How would you guys approach this problem?

I was just curious how you guys would approach a problem I ran into tonight on another forum.

On a model specific forum I made a deal to trade parts in exchange for the use of a member's resale discount (15%) to purchase roughly $500 in parts from a third party/manufacturer. After paying shipping($25~ish) for the parts I sent him I probably saved a total of 50 bucks on the parts I ordered from the manufacturer.

I ordered parts from the vendor in March of 2006. I sent my parts to the forum member the same month. I hung out on those forums for a few more months but eventually got bored. I am getting back into my car again and have been on forums. When I logged onto those forums tonight and saw 2 private messages. They were both from the other party involved in the deal. One was from Nov 2007 (18+ months after I shipped him my parts) and the other was Jan 2009 (34 months after my parts shipped) complaining he did not receive the parts I exchange for the use of his discount. He had my phone number but I never received any messages from the guy regarding the parts.

I am going to try and track the parts first thing tomorrow but I know anything that old has been archived on my UPS computer. I doubt I will be able to prove I shipped the parts. I feel bad that the other person involved thinks I stiffed him on the deal.

Not sure what I can do to make him feel better about the situation.

If you were in my situation what would you do? Or if you were the other guy and these parts never showed up what would you expect? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JJSmitches; 04-19-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Bad math!
      Used to be known as Jsapata

Country Flag: United States
      eeek! thats an unfortunate turn of events. =(

There must be some way to prove it though. Im sure UPS can track it. These types of things happen all the time and they get requests years later for court cases, so Im sure that you can dig them up by date and address.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

I called UPS this morning and was told they are only able to track packages for 18 months.
      Used to be known as Jsapata

That's BS. If you hung out on those forums a few months AFTER you shipped the parts, and didn't see a message from him then, then there's something fishy.

I mean, think about the stuff your or I order online. If I don't see a shipping confirmation in a day or two, and get the package in a week or so, I start following up to see what the deal is.

Here, this guy waited A YEAR AND A HALF to even let you know he hadn't gotten them. WTF?

I'd send him a message saying, "Hey guy, after 3 years there's really not much I can do for you. You should have let me know about this sooner, rather than waiting 18 months after our agreement to send your FIRST follow up e-mail. I sent the parts, I'm sorry to hear you didn't get them."
      John B.

If you cannot get any resolution thru UPS, maybe you can trade him a favor of little inconvienence to yourself as a gesture of good faith.

Other than that, its kind of tough titty for him. He did wait a long time to look into things and did not call even though he had your #.
      1970RS Camaro
      Lateral Dynamics, Wilwood, BOZE, Strange Engineering, Alston, Ride Tech, Gen II, FAST.
      Dave Cozzi

If he waited 18 months he may be looking for a way to get some new parts. Given the current change in the economy . . .
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

If I could get you a discount on some parts just by being me and you promise to give me some parts and never did, I would probably not be that upset about it since it didn't cost me anything but a little time. theparts would have been nice and part of the deal but it's not like I would be out anything.

To wait that long before sending you something about it shows how much they really cared.

If you sent the parts like you say you did and they didn't get them it is too late to find them now,unless they are delivered and noone told anybody about it and they are still in the box in the corner,lol

Don't worry too much over it and say your sorry you can't send them twice and lost is lost.

Goodluck

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com