Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks LSXZ28! Hope you like the GTO as well?!?

Note, I am going to be transitioning into final metal-work (replacing all or a portion of my quarter panels) once I get the bulk of this Magnaflow exhaust in-place. I picked up some 304 (??) stainless to make a transition from the over the axle Magnaflow into the proper '72 GTO tips (Pypes reproductions). I also aligned the doors and lid for proper alignment/gaps in anticipation of the metal-work to come.

I wanted to share some color choices I have been considering. The first is a snap of a stock '72 Goat with the Brasilia gold (and a very nice vinyl roof). This car belonged to a PY-Forum member (who has since sold it). The car has very nice paint, but it just doesn't have enough depth (e.g. metal-flake/color change) for me. My car is a 57:57 (no vinyl roof Brasilia gold) GTO. However, I wanted to add some interesting aspects 'in the paint'. Including the possibility of putting a 'faux vinyl' roof on the car - with the use of a deep/rich gloss black paint.

I played around with some of the color samples on the HOK site and have come up with a couple of options. If anyone has any input or thoughts that would be greatly appreciated. Not entirely 'settled on these colors' just playing around to see what could be done. I also think if I go 'faux' so to speak (black upper) to put a nice silvery/chrome parting line (hand painted) to split the lower metallic color from the black. It would simulate that lower chrome moulding.

Cheers,
      Brian.

Project is not dead, it was only side-lined for 4yrs - a move near Detroit, MI for a new job put this on hold. Long story short, after changing cities, jobs, and moving 4times in less than 1.5 yrs; back on this harder than ever. This time I have help - Drag-U-Down Customs (Tilbury, ON.) helping to get this car wrapped up - while I work on my other project '69 Firebird.

First, a pic of the Goat, the day DuDC's came to pick the car up.

DuDC - tearing into the body-work:

After they rolled in the curves on the skins, and welded in the new outers - the skins are in place. They then cleaned up the doors I got from Memory Lane, in California.

Car was then sealed in epoxy primer, before they began blocking/aligning front-fenders, etc.

Car currently has front-end on, is fully wired and DuDC is working to get the Goat running again. Plan then is to blow it apart for paint, and make it pretty.

Thanks for looking,
      Brian.

Coming up on a decade bro, glad you did not give up along the way.

Dan

Country Flag: Sweden
      Quote Originally Posted by badolds View Post
      Coming up on a decade bro, glad you did not give up along the way.

Dan
      Nice to see that there are others with long time projects... I started mine May 2010...

Too bad the early pics in this thread doesn't work anymore. I wanted to see what it looked like from the start.

Thanks Anders/Dan,

I am embarrassed to say this project started in 2005 (intake vacuum leak precipitated the tear-down lol).

It took me a while to sort out what I wanted to do, and part of that time was rejigging my garage in TDot (Toronto). I got tired of looking at this beautiful car in parts and said to my wife - I want to enjoy this car again! I don’t want to keep putting this on the back-burner.

I will try and repost some of the original pics. Interestingly enough my buddy (technology teacher) took the body cart I made/used to hold the body, and re-purposes it as a mini wind-tunnel for his classes/students! Gotta get a pic of that for sure. ��

More updates to come, including a panel sample of the selected color.

BR/Brian.

Country Flag: Sweden
      Wind tunnel? THAT I want a picture of!

Don't be embarrased - you should be proud of actually finishing it off after so long time. Most people I know would probably fail and sell it in pieces instead.

Thanks Anders. More recent progress on the '72 GTO...

Car is getting final tweaked for first startup with the FAST EZ-EFI system. Includes checking all the Painless wiring (now installed), dialing in the Distributor (w/Pertronix cap/rotor set) and buttoning up the exhaust system. Car will have the stock-style GTO tips (got those many years ago from Pypes). DuDC also managed to get side-windows (front and rear) back into the car - and get the power window kit I picked up working.

Hopefully have a video of it roaring to life at some point in the near future!

Cheers,
      Brian.

Power windows...AC...livin the good life! I hope you get it all tuned up and enjoy it before the snow hits! From what I've heard the FAST is a nice system to tune. Good luck man, and post a vid boiling those massive rears once it's ready!

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech442 View Post
      Power windows...AC...livin the good life! I hope you get it all tuned up and enjoy it before the snow hits! From what I've heard the FAST is a nice system to tune. Good luck man, and post a vid boiling those massive rears once it's ready!
      Thanks jetmech442

Car has progressed quite a bit - not burning rubber just yet!!

- more blocking and panel alignment
      Name:  IMG_0967.JPG
Views: 692
Size:  213.6 KB.
      Name:  IMG_1025.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  146.2 KB

- working on colours (we finally chose a Lambo/Audi colour - Javabrown). Drag-U-Down got busy painting the car:
      Name:  IMG_0987.JPG
Views: 679
Size:  262.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_0994.JPG
Views: 685
Size:  255.2 KB

- some more pics...
      Name:  IMG_1109.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  84.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_1167.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  101.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_1191.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  123.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_1232.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  66.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_1239.JPG
Views: 702
Size:  397.8 KB

My current issue is the ride height. I put Global Wesr drop coil springs on it (3/4” drop in rear and 1” drop in front). My assumption is that now that the sag is gone, the car doesn’t appear lower.

Any inputs greatly appreciated!
      BR/Brian.

You still have 2-3 hundred pounds of stuff that will be added to the car, plus the springs will settle a bit over time.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks Andrew!

Yes, I think we will let it settle with everything installed.

I am pretty heavy 295lbs of butter-ball so the GW coils will hopefully work well.

Appreciate your feedback - your ‘70 has always been a source of motivation for this project!
      BR/Brian.

Cool GTO! Glad to see one stay with Poncho power!

Quote Originally Posted by gto406 View Post
      Thanks Andrew!

Yes, I think we will let it settle with everything installed.

I am pretty heavy 295lbs of butter-ball so the GW coils will hopefully work well.

Appreciate your feedback - your ‘70 has always been a source of motivation for this project!
      BR/Brian.
      Thanks Brian! Looking forward to updates.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

'72 GTO - Project 'Just-A-Driver'...

We are edging closer to complete. The front valance is on, and the interior and wiring being finished. Also some custom touches to try and bring the interior up to date - carbon fibre/3point front & rear seat belts...

We went to BMR front/rear coils - the GW springs have been on the car for a couple years and were not dropping - albeit I have them as backup 8^)

Name:  IMG_1345.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  247.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1347.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1326.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1360.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  136.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1356.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  169.2 KB

Thank you for allowing me to share.

BR/Brian.

Looking good! I don't know how I feel about those fender stripes, but that's a personal taste thing. Should be having fun by spring!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Looking good! I don't know how I feel about those fender stripes, but that's a personal taste thing. Should be having fun by spring!

Andrew
      Thanks Andrew! I am giving the guys at Drag U Down Customs creative freedom. The stripes are definitely a talking point. I like the fact it invokes feedback from folks! Definitely different.

Cheers,
      Brian.

More recent pic - almost done. We revised the frame (extra bracing and a UMI front a-body brace) and bit the bullet on lowering front/rear coils (car had been sitting on the Global West springs for 4yrs and were not relaxing). We will try these and if the car ends up too low, I can always swap the GWs back in.

Some shots of the dash pieces - some carbon fibre included (Dakota gauges). Name:  IMG_1401.JPG
Views: 510
Size:  240.3 KBName:  IMG_1398.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  142.6 KBName:  IMG_1360.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  136.3 KB

LOVE the color... earth tones are in and will be timeless... LIKE the interior updates...

BUT the fender stripes and trunk lid graphic ruin it for me...
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Quote Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
      LOVE the color... earth tones are in and will be timeless... LIKE the interior updates...

BUT the fender stripes and trunk lid graphic ruin it for me...
      Thanks for your feedback!

I think the car turned out fantastic. cant wait to see the final interior completion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com