Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1967 Chevelle * LS3/T56 *

Well I have been lurking around read post and adding what I can here and there. I have purchase item from vendors here and well as parts from members. I figured I would start a thread about my build. I will be a slow process. I will take as many pictures as possible.

This is what the car looked like when I purchased it. It’s a Malibu built in Fremont CA. It had the original 283 with smog pump. The previous owner changed out the power glide for a TH350. It’s an original AC car. It has some rust around the rear window and the passenger quarter was replaced many many moons ago.

This was a daily driver for a while. The first item to address was the 4 wheel drum brakes. I'm lucky enough to live in Las Vegas and met with Tyler from ATS. A set of his spindles was a no-brainer. Better geometry, sealed bearing pack and a lot of options for brakes.

At the same time I upgraded to a CPP master cylinder and a stainless brake booster. I also talked to Mark at SC&C and picked up a set of adjustable SPD control arms.... I put on some Coy's C-67 wheels and some 245/45/18 Dunlop tires... What a difference!

So I have been running the car like this for a while. I always wanted to do an LSx swap and get 6 speed in there. I was trying to keep this as a daily driver too. The plan was to find another frame and modify that one without having to tear the car apart.

Once I found a frame, I brought it to someone to have it boxed. I also wanted to build a skeleton and convert it to coilovers on all four corners. Here was the plan...

Here are some pictures of the initial progress.

Now most of it came out ok. The front coilover shock mounts were hideous. I wasn't overly impressed with the outcome, but since I can't weld and don’t have the tools it was the best I thought I could do. If I had planned it better I would have had ATS work on the frame from day one.

Here were the original front coilover mounts... this is when I decided to take the frame back.

Rich
      1969 Camaro (in hibernation)
      1972 K5 Blazer - LQ9, 4L80e, NP205, D60, AAM 14BFF => http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=423432

So I took the frame back from that guy and sat on it for a while. After a while Tyler had some room and time in his shop so I brought the frame to him. They totally redesigned the front coilover mounts and changed the lower control arms to double sheer mounts.

The welds are works of art. The design is solid. I couldn't be happier with how it came out. I ordered all new front suspension parts. Some Edelbrock billet tie rod sleeves. Purchased a LEE power steering box with –AN fittings from ATS. The shocks are Varishock QuickSet 1’s. They will be used on the rear as well. Also, after hearing stories of different problems, I may send them back to Varishock to have them checked before actually running them on the car.

The rear suspension consists of Currie arms and QS1’s holding a Moser 12bolt in place. I had Moser install ford ends designed to allow the use of stock 2002 Camaro rear disc brakes. The car will be pretty low and we were having trouble coming up with a double sheer mount for the shocks. The shocks are tall to allow a decent amount of travel. The original design had them into the trunk by about two inches… They Tyler cam up with a cantilever design… here are a couple teaser shots as they were testing the location and range of motion through full suspension travel… (sorry these are cell phone shots)

While all this was going on “under” the car I had been working in things I could do myself. I upgraded to a set of modern mirrors off a late model Buick. They will be power for both driver and passenger side.

I also want to modernize the interior. I found some rear bucket seats out of an 87 BMW 635i coupe. They have a fiberglass bucket and fit the rear pretty well…

A little while later I scored some 2004 GTO seats. I put those is the front.(only held in by one bolt for now) They sit a little higher then I would like but the factory brackets don’t fit the floor perfectly. I think I can get them down a little bit but they are sweet. Power seats both sides. I also got the rear seats so I will probably use them instead of the BMW pieces…. Time will tell what happens there….

Rich
      1972 K5 Blazer - LQ9, 4L80e, NP205, D60, AAM 14BFF => http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=423432

I also picked up a new MOMO steering wheel and ordered an IDIDIT tilt steering column from GP Superstore. The column should be here in a week. I had it powder coated black from IDIDIT and ordered the correct MOMO hub adapter at the same time. Here is the wheel. It’s called MOMO Quake. High quality leather and a very nice feel.

I also picked up a LeMans fuel filler to recess into the driver’s side quarter panel. I love the look and hate bending down and flipping the plate to fill it now… although I will miss using any lane at the gas station once I get rid of the central fill location….

------------------------------------

I had already picked up a T56 over a year ago. It was bolted to my 5.3L mock up engine block. I am using ATS motor mounts and will have one of their pans when the time comes. Last week I ordered my LS376/480hp motor from Scoggin-Dickey along with the GMPP harness (Thanks Jesse). I picked up a set of Edelbrock headers from a board member and an AFCO radiator from another. I bolted the trans and headers together a few nights ago…

Rich

Country Flag: Iceland

Nice project. I have the ls1 A4 in my 65 A body cutlass. You gonna have some fun when your done.
      This is Larry Callahan adding to Rocky's profile.

I'm sorry to say that we have lost Rocky.

RIP....

SAWEET! keep us posted!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

great project. subscribing for future updates!

Looks great! Interested in seeing more of the rear suspension come together!
      Kevin Oeste
      V8 Speed and Resto Shop
      V8TV
      Muscle Car Of The Week
      V8 Radio Podcast

All about us:
      https://www.v8speedshop.com

This is going to be a great looking ride. Those coil over mounts look sweet. I love early Chevelles and an LS3 is a great addition.

Stephen

This is a great looking project. Please keep us posted. I am very interested in this. Thanks, Sam
      Sam
      Northern UT.
      '68 Camaro "Bodacious"
      '56 210 2dr "Buckshot"

Looks great!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: Canada
      Wow, love those front coilover mounts. It will be interesting to see how the rear design works out as well. a little unusual with that angle on the shocks.
      Gary Morris

1969 Chevelle
      TSP 418 LS3, North Texas Converter 4l80e
      Ridetech Level 2 coilover suspension, C6 Z51 Brakes
      See the finished product here:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lle?highlight=

2015 Camaro ZL1, intake, headers, pullies

Man, that is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
      Keeps the pics/info coming.......esp. w/that engine swap.
      MarkK

Nice ride man, I love the 66 and 67 velles
      Ryan
      1969 X11 Camaro- Peelin paint, rust, the whole works

wow awesome job..some killer fab work on that frame..
      Darrin Stalnecker
      1969 Camaro Convert full pt pr
      2007 Corvette Supercharged
      1968 Camaro LS1 T56
      http://www.fquick.com/dropit69

I love that body syle. Keep us posted.
      Shannon

Modo Innovations
      940-391-9002

hows the car going man, any updates? this is an awesome project you have going.
      rally pig/muscle car fan.

Man, those upper shock mounts look awesome. If I ever went with front coilovers Id really like to do something like that.
      '69 Chevelle - LQ4/T56
      '71 GMC SWB Fleetside - LM7/AR5

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com