Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Safety checklist for a mainly-strip car!

OK guys, So I know that there are a lot of high-profile track cars here, and a lot of high-profile show-and-go cars here, but I for one believe that the majority of us still are building our cars at home or with only partial shop time to get out there and drive as often as we can, which means usually just on the street.

SO, I thought it might be a good idea to see what everybody thinks should be the sort of de jure standard for safety upgrades for this level of car. I feel like my car fits this category pretty well, so I'll start by listing what I've done, what I'm hoping to do and then expanding out into some ideas I've had. Hope you guys can help me turn this into a sort of "safety checklist" before we take our hot-rods out into the urban jungle!

78 firebird

- factory 3 point belts--check to make sure there are no cuts or rot, at least use the "yank really fast" test to make sure the locking mechanisms are in order.

- seat brackets--check for rust/damage. I found massive rust on my actual brackets but that the mounting holes were still solid, so I made sure to switch to new brackets with my new seats.

- seats--ok, so comfort is important, but at least get a seat with some sort of headrest. I like having an adjustable headrest since I am a tall dude, and can thus keep it up where it's supposed to be--aligned with the base of your skull. I feel like headrests are way underestimated in their importance.

- fire safety--obviously most street cars aren't going to have a full fire supression system--but a simple fire extinguisher is easy to pick up at autozone and can usually be mounted either in between or in front of the back seats, depending on where is most convenient. Remember to consider ease of access for the driver, as he is the only person you can depend on always having in the car. I have one between the seats and one I'm going to mount in the trunk as a backup.

Ok, That's what is done. Now, Ideas I have, for you guys who know better to critique.

- for track days--is it dangerous to mount four-point harnesses to the lower mounting points under the rear seats? Is there a safe place to mount four-point harnesses other than to a crossbar on a cage?

- Are there any companies out there that make an aftermarket airbag system that is safe and relatively not-that-stupid looking?

OK, now....what am I missing? What else should I go through?

Based on this, here is my contribution to the checklist:

-Check seatbelts for condition. If not equipped, add 3-point belts at a minimum.
      -check seats for condition. Replace any damaged parts ASAP. If buying aftermarket seats, make sure there is adequate head protection.
      -be prepared for a fire emergency. At least one fire extinguisher, mounted within quick reach for the driver.

I really hope this takes off. I feel like a lot of people really get caught up in the glamor of speed--we can help make sure that people protect themselves as much as they can at the same time.

Here's an idea for mounting an extinguisher that is within reach of the driver:

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/cata...dcc13d8ae9e1ed

Some every dragstrip will check for, and you won't get runs if not properly equipped:

-Driveshaft loop and bigger studs if running slicks
      -Functional battery hold down (bungee cords don't cut it)
      -Neutral safety switch
      -Coolant overflow/catch can
      -Functional battery disconnect for a trunk mounted battery
      Last edited by fishtail8; 04-08-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Added...
      Colin
      1950 Pontiac 12.82@105
      1999 GTP

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com