Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Fuel pump pushrod?

Hi Guys and Girls

Need some info on fuel pump pushrods.
      I have a 350 ZZ4 with the "Hot Cam" kit installed.
      Do I use a bronze tipped or a standard and what length??

Thanks in advance

Kenneth

Stock length steel will work fine, you can use a stock Chevy rod or aftermarket, I recomend the ARP light weight rod

Well I am a little confused now. I have a similar post on another post and somebody there is saying to use the bronze tipped one.
      Does anyone else have any input on this, also regarding distributor gear, but maybe this follows the pushrod tip so if I have to use a bronze tipped pushrod then I guess it will also mean a bronze gear?

Country Flag: United States
      Is it a GM Cam? You go by what the cam manufacturer says.
      Todd

Fuel pump pushrod

A bronze distributor gear or pushrod tip is usually required only when running a billet cam

Dale

I didnīt buy or install the cam. It was in the car when I bought it. All I know is that it is the " Hot Cam" for the ZZ4 or 385 Fastburn (350).
      It is just that I have read a lot of posts claiming you will run down the cam lobe with the wrong pushrod and since I am experiencing fuel pressure fluctuations before and after my complete fuel system upgrade, I am affraid that this is the problem. I have bought a new Carter pump which should deliver 7-8.5 psi and I am seing max 6 psi.
      I have a pressure gauge installed on the carb line at the pressure regulator and on the second carb line a sensor for a gauge inside the car. All hoses are new 8 AN and from pressure reg 6 AN, new tank unit with 1/2" pipe and 2 big filters 40 and 100 micron. I am going to check direction on filters tomorrow, would be nice if I mounted one of them the wrong way.
      If a cam change is needed, is that a big job?

Oh and yes it is a GM cam.

On a GM cam you run a melonized distributor gear. I remember making a remark in another of your threads about checking the fuel pump rod travel. I'm sure if you called comp cams they could tell you how far your fuel pump rod must move to function properly. That would rule out a bad camshaft. As far as what type of rod....you will have to figure that out. I have read that if you use a bronze it can mushroom and make it impossible to remove from the block unless you tear down the motor. Then your forced into a electric pump. I bet GM has is set up for a regular rod for longevity but verify.
      Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
      On a GM cam you run a melonized distributor gear. I remember making a remark in another of your threads about checking the fuel pump rod travel. I'm sure if you called comp cams they could tell you how far your fuel pump rod must move to function properly. That would rule out a bad camshaft. As far as what type of rod....you will have to figure that out. I have read that if you use a bronze it can mushroom and make it impossible to remove from the block unless you tear down the motor. Then your forced into a electric pump. I bet GM has is set up for a regular rod for longevity but verify.
      Sorry for this, I must come out as a pretty stupid guy, melonized is that bronze or non bronze?

Not bronze but a melonized gear. GM and MSD both make them.
      Todd

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com