Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

How many amps do elect. fans draw ??

Does anyone truley know what the AMP/CFM ratios are? I've looked quite a bit and see all kinds of claims by companies.
      Example- How many amps drawn to produce 1500CFM's.
      I'm going to go with 2 10" fans and would like not get hoodwinked and buy a pair of duds.
      Jeoff J.
      Buffalo, NY
      69 Camaro convertible ~ 350ci. ~ T56

To all u guys with the knowledge.
      My Ride: http://community.webshots.com/user/yukongt

Country Flag: United States
      Every fan has specs for amp draw. As long as you are buying them from a respectable manufacturer.
      Todd

let me rephrase this. ....Is there an average, like 6-10 amps will usally produce roughly 1250 CFM's? Say there are 5 reputable companies selling fans that claim to produce 1250 cfm but the amp draw is scatterd between these companies from 6 to 15 amps.How do you know which is closest to the truth.

Jeoff J.
      Buffalo, NY

You plan for the worst. Heat and speed will add current to a fan. Two decent fans require to good relays period. 30 amp per fan is what I would recommend.
      Todd

Fan amperage does vary by fan (Lincoln Mark VIII fans spike around 70 amps at startup for example). One note, 2 10" fans may not be enough cooling for your car. Check with fan suppliers for how much cooling you will need. I have one 16" 3000 cfm fan and keeps the car cool, although in hot weather it creeps up a bit sitting still in traffic. It doesn't get too hot, maybe 215, but I still worry a little. I may add a second fan in front if I can get it to fit (oil cooler in the way).
      2018 Cruze LT Hatchback
      2003 Suburban 2500 8.1L
      1975 MGB Roadster
      2003 GSX750F Katana

Be carefull which fans you buy. Forget the amerage draw, just put a pait of 30 Amp relays on it and forget it. But 10s basically suck , or should I say DON'T suck! Unless you get high performance fans which are very tall. The low profile 10" fans will only pull about 500CFM, I don't care what the claims are. I would really suggest trying to at least move up to 11s, and get the Spahl high Performance units that are about 2 1/2" deep, assuming you can clear those.

Thanks guys for the input. Frank I've been running a stock copper rad. and clutch fan with no problems. here in Buffalo there is no bumper to bumper and I have had zero problems with over heating.
      If I go with a stock SIZE aluminum rad. I can only fit 10" fans but If I go with a little wider like 24" or 26" rad. I will be able to fit 12" fans in there.
      Jeoff J.
      Buffalo, NY

Go for a "Big block" size radiator. And go with the bigest fans you can. the 10s really pull very little. Been there, done that, got a tee shirt, lit the tee shirt on fire!

I've been doing some research on electric fans lately and just bought a new setup for my car. The rule of thumb I found was that for every 1000cfm of air flow the fans should pull 10amps.
      So a true 2000cfm fan should be pulling around 20 amps.

It makes for comparing electric fans a little easier and weeding out the false cfm ratings. I've seen quite a few 10" fans stating the flow 2000-2500cfm but if you look at their amp draw, its usually less than 10amps.

Derale dual fan setup I just bought has two 13" fans rated to pull 4000cfm for the pair and they have a 50amp draw.
      Andrew
      1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme FE3X Clone
      EFI455/T56/9" w/ 4.30 gears
      __________________________________________________ __

Thanks Adrew and guys thats the info I needed. Now go take a look at my new post about fan shrouds....
      Jeoff J.
      Buffalo, NY

fan

Quote Originally Posted by Topless69 View Post
      Thanks guys for the input. Frank I've been running a stock copper rad. and clutch fan with no problems. here in Buffalo there is no bumper to bumper and I have had zero problems with over heating.
      If I go with a stock SIZE aluminum rad. I can only fit 10" fans but If I go with a little wider like 24" or 26" rad. I will be able to fit 12" fans in there.
      Topless, a Taurus 3.8l fan with shrould would be a near perfect setup for the stock size rad in your car-its also a 2 speed setup and they move quite of bit of air and can be had for cheap-about 25$ at your pick-n-pull or 50$ off Fleabay and it includes a shroud all youw ould need is to fab some mounts up and wire it.
      Rich
      69 Trans Am "TireBird"
      M6 / LS6 minitubbed DSE Sub
      C5 frt LS1 rear disc brakes
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14992
      69 R/S Z28 302
      15 Camaro ZL1
      90 Formula next project

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com