Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

oil cooler mounting

My oil temps are reaching 240f when driving hard, and its not even hot yet. I want to run an aux oil cooler (plate style), without a fan. I'm thinking of mounting it in front of the radiator, but I'm not sure if I should leave a gap or mount it tight? I also don't want to negatively affect radiator airflow too much. Any ideas or pics would be appreciated. BTW- coolant rarely gets above 205f

Here is how I mounted mine:

I took some 1-1/2 wide aluminum channel

Drilled some 1" holes in it so that it didn't block too much air and mounted that to the radiator support in front of the radiator

Then mounted the coolers to that bracket on the top and the radiator support on the bottom. I had to make a few stand offs to get everything mount up cleanly.

I used Earl's coolers and their mounting bracket which holds the cooler loosely so that it can move. My understanding is that the cooler will not live long if it is subjected to much flex and is hard mounted.

Finished product:

I don't know why, but OEMs mount coolers spaced from the radiator (or condenser). I'm sure there's a good reason for it, so that's how I'd do it.
      Jason Scheer

I think that reason is to allow proper airflow on each side. Which is why I spaced it out a bit on the top, but the bottom has a channel like ridge so was mounted flush there.

This pic shows the spacing:

Note the aluminum round stock spacer on the right.

Country Flag: United States
      1969CamaroRS:
      I like the way you mounted that cooler- I might steal your idea (hope you don't mind!). Where did you find the AL channel? Also, did you use an oil t-stat? I was thinking of using an integrated stat/ sandwich adapter from earls, but I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. I don't want to add a ton of restriction to my oil system.

Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
      1969CamaroRS:
      I like the way you mounted that cooler- I might steal your idea (hope you don't mind!).
      No problem! Glad I could help.

1969CamaroRS:
      Where did you find the AL channel?
      Local hardware store. Needs to be a good one, either that or a maybe a metal supply or welding supply that has metal stock.

1969CamaroRS:
      Also, did you use an oil t-stat? I was thinking of using an integrated stat/ sandwich adapter from earls, but I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. I don't want to add a ton of restriction to my oil system.
      Yep used the Earl's T-Stat as well here is a pic:

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com