Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

View Poll Results: Which dash layout do you like?

Voters
    28. You may not vote on this poll
    • Radio in the dash, extra gauges below dash in pod

11 39.29%
    • All the gauges in the dash - use Secret Audio!

17 60.71%
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      No, I meant the plastic. It looks pretty new in the pic

If you're not going with a stock dash, why worry about hiding the radio? It sounds like what you're really debating is do I want a "busy" dash, or a clean one?

If you want your dash ultra clean, put a console in and put the radio and extra gauges in there. Just leave the tach and speedo or whatever you need to see easily while driving in the dash.

Mathius

Thanks, and "sort of".

I want it clean and usable, and I don't think I want a console. I'm actually considering mounting an extinguisher where the console would otherwise mount. Really what I'm debating is the two options I had to vote on. I really don't care about the radio - it was more of whether having the two gauges below the dash or having them where the radio would normally go is preferable.

I think I've decided to put two gauges in the radio location and use secret audio. I have some more measuring to do, but that's the way I'm leaning right now.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
      Thanks, and "sort of".

I want it clean and usable, and I don't think I want a console. I'm actually considering mounting an extinguisher where the console would otherwise mount. Really what I'm debating is the two options I had to vote on. I really don't care about the radio - it was more of whether having the two gauges below the dash or having them where the radio would normally go is preferable.

I think I've decided to put two gauges in the radio location and use secret audio. I have some more measuring to do, but that's the way I'm leaning right now.
      <shrug> It's your car, do it up the way you want man. Is it going to be a race car? I can't say I agree with the look you're going for otherwise, but it isn't my car.

Mathius

Street and strip. What can I say? Maybe my personal tastes are unique

another thought if you want to strengthen the dashpad is you could use fiberglass on the back. 5-6 layers of glass add quite a bit of strength w/o much thickness, and it should bond to the plastic pretty well.
      dave.t
      86 Olds 442 - Project If It Ain't Broke, Take It Apart and Fix It
      74 Javelin AMX - stocker

Quote Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
      Street and strip. What can I say? Maybe my personal tastes are unique
      <shrug> If you're taking it to the strip I guess I can appreciate what you're doing. It just bugs me when people do the whole "race car" interior on a street car or add a bunch of gauges they're never gonna use.

Mathius

The car will find its way to the strip from time to time. It's also why I'm using an SFI scattershield and a driveshaft loop. The extra gauges (fuel pressure and oil temp) are important to me. They are not just for show. Of the two, I'm most concerned about oil temp. The block is bottom filled.

Country Flag: United States
      I was thinking about your comments concerning the strength of the dash after you have cut out the bulk of the plastic, and I think I have a solution. Go get some of the panel Adhesive they use when bonding exterior sheet metal. With this, you only need a 1/2" to 3/4" strip of the original dash, then bond one of the aluminum panels you are using to that strip. Just make sure you have the dash on a flat surface while waiting for the adhesive to dry as once it sets you will destroy the dash trying to get them apart again!

Shiny Side Up!
      Bill
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Thanks, Bill. Fortunately or otherwise, I'm well past this. Matter of fact, just got back a few hours ago from another session of prep for the World of Wheels indoor show - have to deliver the car on Wednesday morning. I'll have some pics before long.

heres what i did for my 65 the open hole will get the vintage air controls

I say option 3 looks best

Guys, btw...

The dash is done. It looks like:

Country Flag: United States
      And an awesome dash it is. The machined look is so Pontiac it is a natural feeling to the eye and almost expected.

Awesome just Awesome
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

Thanks, Jim!

Hi,

We are also doing a custom '66 GTO dashboard. Wondering is you have any drawings CAD drawings of the insert template.

Thanks in advance,

DTM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com