Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

No Oil pressure on 2001 Explorer 4.0 SOHC

I'm trying to help a friend who has a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a 4.0 V-6 SOHC. He came in and said he's got a knock and very little oil pressure. The needle does come off the stand, but just barely. When he started it up a bad knock was coming from the top of the engine on the driver's side. Being a SOHC, does some part of the valvetrain control the oil pump or is it driven off of the timing chain? What component could break inside the valve cover that would cause a knock like that. He's an outside salesman and needs this truck for work. I'd like to get him up and running by Monday if possible, provided we have the parts we need.
      Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

I don't know if that engine has the same problems as the 4.6l, but we just had a 4.6 die because the pickup got clogged, causing a loss of oil pressure, which caused the rocker pivots to bleed down and a few rockers to fall out.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com