Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

stuck off I 95 St Johns county FL

We're having probs with an 84 suburban 454 tow vehicle off of I 95 on state road 16 in I believe st Augustine. Need to find a shop or someone to fix carb or ignition prob. Seems to be running really rich or timing is off. No tools with us. Any suggestions appreciated. Truck does run but no power and only a few miles per gal towing an enclosed.

Just saw this and your seriously two seconds from my house.

If you have not got the problem fixed tomorrow mourning call me. I tried to call me buddy who runs a shop(him and his dad are real good, and not far from the exit your at) but I could not reach him.

I'm gonna PM you my number..
      Andrew Petty

Did you get running?

Tony Huntimer
      RaceHome.com
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Quadrajet floats tend to soak up fuel and sink, causing the float level to rise. Another issue is if you have a cat converter it can overheat and plug up due to the sunk float and rich mixture. I don't think 84 BB trucks came with a cat though.

Another common issue is the choke unloader vacuum unit goes bad and the choke does not open. This condition is worse at startup/cold, then can get better when the intake heats up and the choke pulls open via the bi-metallic coil.

The unloader is supposed to open the choke 3/8" about 10 seconds after startup. A bad diaphragm can be found by pushing in the arm, covering the vac inlet with your finger and releasing the arm. The arm should stay in, and release when you take your finger off the inlet.

Another issue is the tiny fuel filter on the carb, it plugs up way to easily causing a pulsing or surging, it won't make it run rich though. Those years have loads of vacuum hoses and thermal switches that the hoses can rot and cause failure of the pull off to operate.
      David
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

I got a recommendation to talk to a guy named mike at a place called "Longs" who turned out to be a power tour guy and was also Andrews buddy. He had a cool spark plug wire tester for use on running engines.Turned out to be a fouled plug. When I'd pulled the plug wires when the truck was at idle there wasn't any change in idle but under load it was really noticable. I got back on the road and made upper NC by the time we stopped tonight.

Glad you got the burban on the road. Guess I just missed you cause I was at their shop putting new tires on a little later in the day.
      Andrew Petty

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com