Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Ford TKO600 to Chevy engine

I am getting a thread going to discuss my impending installation of a TKO into my 1968 Camaro. I'm hoping the experts can chime in here...I'll give as much information as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong). I picked up this 500mile used TKO600 transmission from a a guy last night:

My car is currently an automatic, and buying this transmission is the first piece of the puzzle, so I still need to buy everything else. It's the Ford style meaning the following:

Tremec PN: 5008 (Ford)
      Input Shaft Length: 7.2"
      Bearing Retainer Diameter: 4.85"

Tremec PN: 5009 (Chevy)
      Input Shaft Length: 6.7"
      Bearing Retainer Diameter: 4.68"

I'm going to ditch the current bellhousing. The proper bellhousings for this swap are either
      Lakewood #15030 or
      Quick Time #RM-6064, which McLeod recommended to me

My question (for now) is about the shifter. The guy sold it to me with the shifter pictured, a Pro 5.0. I am not going to have the center console, but I still want the shifter position to be good, so I went to classicchevy5speed.com who offers the Hurst shifters. However, The bolt pattern on those shifters seems different from my tranny above. My tranny has the shifter tapered to the front with the foremost holes close together, where the Hurst shifters on CC5S show the pattern is rectangular. So I can't flip it around like CC5S shows with the Hurst.

Anyone know why my bolt pattern is different? I would hate to hear it's not a TKO; it does have 26 spline input and 31 spline output. Can I use the Pro 5.0 shifter or will it sit too far back? Are there more holes underneath the Pro 5.0 shifter? Recommended solutions?

Thanks for your help!
      Steven

1968 Camaro: Project "TRACKDAY"

Latest Track Weekend Video

Build in Progress

Here is a pic of a Pro-5.0 shifter on my Dad's '67 Chevy II. It is a GM spec TKO600.

The shifter should be the same between the GM and Ford unit to the best of my knowledge. It's interchangeable between my Tremec that I put in my '89 Mustang and Dad's.
      Brandon Wiedeman
      1972 Suburban
      1967 Chevy II - Project not yet started

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
      Wiedo's

By looking at your picture, it appears that your transmision is not a TKO600 but rather a 3550 (predecessor of the TKO). The TKO's have an electric speedometer pick up on the passneger side of the tailshaft and the bolt pattern on the shifter mechanism's are different. Take a look at the metal tag on your transmission and it should give you a part # to verify.
      Regardless of whether it is a Ford TKO or a Ford 3550, I believe the adaption issues to a chevy motor would be the same.
      Jeff Mortenson

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmort
      By looking at your picture, it appears that your transmision is not a TKO600 but rather a 3550 (predecessor of the TKO). The TKO's have an electric speedometer pick up on the passneger side of the tailshaft and the bolt pattern on the shifter mechanism's are different. Take a look at the metal tag on your transmission and it should give you a part # to verify.
      Regardless of whether it is a Ford TKO or a Ford 3550, I believe the adaption issues to a chevy motor would be the same.
      Grr, I feel duped, but buyer beware I guess. From reading what you said and on 5speedtransmissions.com , I have learned that I have a TKO, which is not a 3550 nor a TKO-500 nor a TKO-600. The TKO was a stronger version of the 3550, and both preceded the TKO-500 and TKO-600. The earlier TKO/3550 can be identified easily by the non-rectangular shifter bolt pattern that is shown on the TKO-500 and TKO-600. The tag on the transmission also tells. Thanks guys.

Jeff (or others at CC5S), do you think the current shifter position is acceptable for a 68 Camaro? I don't run a center console, and it seems like I will be able to run a shorter, less angled stick which could be a good thing. Can you estimate how much trimming I will have to do? Thanks, I'm looking to fill in the blanks of my transmission swap with your products.
      Steven

Build in Progress

bump. cheers!
      Steven

Build in Progress

No worries about the shifter position. It will be fine. My friend has one with a repositioned center console but uses a Ford 3550 with a similar Hurst shifter. You will need to chose an appropriate shifter handle.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by sik68
      Grr, I feel duped, but buyer beware I guess. From reading what you said and on 5speedtransmissions.com , I have learned that I have a TKO, which is not a 3550 nor a TKO-500 nor a TKO-600. The TKO was a stronger version of the 3550, and both preceded the TKO-500 and TKO-600. The earlier TKO/3550 can be identified easily by the non-rectangular shifter bolt pattern that is shown on the TKO-500 and TKO-600. The tag on the transmission also tells. Thanks guys.

Jeff (or others at CC5S), do you think the current shifter position is acceptable for a 68 Camaro? I don't run a center console, and it seems like I will be able to run a shorter, less angled stick which could be a good thing. Can you estimate how much trimming I will have to do? Thanks, I'm looking to fill in the blanks of my transmission swap with your products.

jeffmort was right and I think you have it backwards in your thinking. You DO NOT have a TKO, you have a 3550. That is what the TKO's were based off of.
      My guess is that the shifter will be a little too far back from the front face of the transmission to fit perfectly in the car. You can take a measurement from the front face of the trans, down the centerline of it, to the center of the shifter and it should be 16 5/8" give or take 1/4". Hope that helps some.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rj8806 View Post
      jeffmort was right and I think you have it backwards in your thinking. You DO NOT have a TKO, you have a 3550. That is what the TKO's were based off of.
      My guess is that the shifter will be a little too far back from the front face of the transmission to fit perfectly in the car. You can take a measurement from the front face of the trans, down the centerline of it, to the center of the shifter and it should be 16 5/8" give or take 1/4". Hope that helps some.

Richard
      I could be wrong as I'm not an expert, but the 3550's came with 10 spline inputs, while the TKO came with 26 spline input shafts, which is what my transmission is

This is what I found from http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/3550_tko.html

Output Shafts:
      The output shaft for a standard TR-3550 is a 28 spline C4, and the TKO/TKO II have the stronger 31 spline C6 output shaft. This is true for all applications.
      Input Shafts:

• All GM conversions have the 26 spline 1 1/8” input shaft
      • All TKO and TKO IIs have a 26 spline input shaft
      • The standard TR-3550 and the standard II (Ford) have a 10 spline input shaft
      • We offer varying input shaft lengths for various applications. For example, the 3rd gen GM F-Body requires a longer input shaft. And we offer custom input shaft lengths for FE Ford, Mopar, etc. Call for details.
      Steven

Build in Progress

That is not entirely correct. The early version 3550's did come with 10 spline inputs and 28 spline output shafts.
      The later versions of the 3550 (TKO-1 and TKO-2) had 26 spline input and 31 spline output just like todays TKO-500 and TKO-600's.

I noticed a trim tag in your original picture on the upper bolt on the passenger side, where the tail is bolted to the main case? Post the numbers and letters from the trim tag and I can decipher it.
      Basically, the 1st line will start out as TR-3550 x xxxxx xx and the 2nd line will start out as TCET xxxx. I need the 4 numbers after the TCET. It should be either TCET 1376 or 1377. If it is even earlier than that then it will have either 2600682, 2600694 or 2600708.
      All of these had the tapered front shifter area where your's is tapered. Also, todays TKO-500 and 600's had an electronic speedo output on the passenger side of the tail housing, yours does not.

The early version 3550's, namely the one that has the numbers 2600708, had a 26 spline input and 31 spline output shaft. Based on the fact that you said it was a Ford version and had 26/31 splined shafts, the numbers on the tag should read TCET 1377. This would make it a 3550-5(which later became the 5008 TKO-600). It should be rated at about 475ft/lbs if I'm not mistaken.

Richard

That is not entirely correct. The early version 3550's did come with 10 spline inputs and 28 spline output shafts.
      The later versions of the 3550 (TKO-1 and TKO-2) had 26 spline input and 31 spline output just like todays TKO-500 and TKO-600's.

I noticed a trim tag in your original picture on the upper bolt on the passenger side, where the tail is bolted to the main case? Post the numbers and letters from the trim tag and I can decipher it.
      Basically, the 1st line will start out as TR-3550 x xxxxx xx and the 2nd line will start out as TCET xxxx. I need the 4 numbers after the TCET. It should be either TCET 1376 or 1377. If it is even earlier than that then it will have either 2600682, 2600694 or 2600708.
      All of these had the tapered front shifter area where your's is tapered. Also, todays TKO-500 and 600's had an electronic speedo output on the passenger side of the tail housing, yours does not.

The early version 3550's, namely the one that has the numbers 2600708, had a 26 spline input and 31 spline output shaft. Based on the fact that you said it was a Ford version and had 26/31 splined shafts, the numbers on the tag should read TCET 1377. This would make it a 3550-5(which later became the 5008 TKO-600). It should be rated at about 475ft/lbs if I'm not mistaken.

Richard
      Here's my full tag, if you could tell me what I have and the tq rating that would be awesome!

TR3550 ALJEH 12
      2600708 0026

26input / 31 output

Thanks a lot! I will probably have the transmission installed by Gearhead Garage, one of your dealers in the Sacramento area.
      Steven

Build in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by sik68 View Post
      Here's my full tag, if you could tell me what I have and the tq rating that would be awesome!

TR3550 ALJEH 12
      2600708 0026

26input / 31 output

Thanks a lot! I will probably have the transmission installed by Gearhead Garage, one of your dealers in the Sacramento area.

Sorry for the delay in this response, my internet is down at the house and I didn't have access to it until today at work.

The 2600708 is in fact a TKO original design (prior to the TKO-1 and TKO-2). It was originally for a Mustang but was adapted to work on GM cars and motors. It was rated at 425ft/lbs. The ALJEH12 means it was built May 12, 2004. The 0026 is the serial number of the unit.
      It has the same gear ratios as the current TKO-500, meaning, it has a 3.271st, 1.98 2nd, 1.34 3rd 1:1 4th and a .68 5th gear.

They are still a good transmission but I wouldn't hit it with 600+hp. I would try and stay in the 500hp range. With it's 3.27 1st gear, don't go with a rear gear of more than 3.55. In other words, stay with a 3.55 or taller (numerically lower). If you went with a 3.73 or deeper, your 1st gear would become a stump puller.

Richard
      Tech Support

Sorry for the delay in this response, my internet is down at the house and I didn't have access to it until today at work.

The 2600708 is in fact a TKO original design (prior to the TKO-1 and TKO-2). It was originally for a Mustang but was adapted to work on GM cars and motors. It was rated at 425ft/lbs. The ALJEH12 means it was built May 12, 2004. The 0026 is the serial number of the unit.
      It has the same gear ratios as the current TKO-500, meaning, it has a 3.271st, 1.98 2nd, 1.34 3rd 1:1 4th and a .68 5th gear.

They are still a good transmission but I wouldn't hit it with 600+hp. I would try and stay in the 500hp range. With it's 3.27 1st gear, don't go with a rear gear of more than 3.55. In other words, stay with a 3.55 or taller (numerically lower). If you went with a 3.73 or deeper, your 1st gear would become a stump puller.

Richard
      Tech Support
      Hey Richard thanks a lot! I'm actually already stuck with 3.73 gears as I bought them just 2 years ago. It will definitely be steep, but some cars I've been in/driven are the BMW 335i with a 4.055x3.08=12.49 ratio, and a Nissan 350z with a 3.79x3.538=13.4 ratio in 1st gear...they're both down on torque from my 68, but the first gear was tolerable...a bit steep in the Z for sure.

Thanks again!

Steven
      Steven

Build in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by sik68 View Post
      Hey Richard thanks a lot! I'm actually already stuck with 3.73 gears as I bought them just 2 years ago. It will definitely be steep, but some cars I've been in/driven are the BMW 335i with a 4.055x3.08=12.49 ratio, and a Nissan 350z with a 3.79x3.538=13.4 ratio in 1st gear...they're both down on torque from my 68, but the first gear was tolerable...a bit steep in the Z for sure.

Thanks again!

Steven

My play toy car is a '90 mustang LX hatchback with a 347 stroker, super charger and a LONG list of goodies. One of my last dyno pulls (prior to the car burning to the ground ) netted me 603RWTQ and I was running a TKO-500 and 3.73 gears.
      Yes 1st gear was over really quick and truth be told, I never used 1st for just regular driving. I always started out in 2nd. The only time I used 1st was if I was racing or it was time to buy new rear tires.
      By the time I let the clutch out in 1st, it was time to shift. It was what I like to call a stump puller. Over time, I got used to it and came to like it but to most, it would drive them crazy not having a useable 1st gear.
      Don't fret it, and just drive it and eventually, you'll learn to like it.

Richard
      Tech Support

Richard
      Tech Support
      Rich,

I would just add that the 708 is the TKO 1. There were 3 units, all with the same 1st - 4th ratios, all Ford bolt patterns:
      3550 (1-1/16x10 Ford input, smaller output shaft)
      TKO 1 (1-1/8x26 GM spline, Ford length input, .68 OD)
      TKO 2 (1-1/8x26 GM spline Ford length input, .82 OD)

then, the GM version of the TKO 1 was released. GM spline, GM length input, GM bolt pattern

then the TKO500 came out, then TKO600 after a delayed start

If anyone has a 3550 and wants to upgrade to the 26 spline, we have a lot of these in stock

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com