Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Painted bumpers brushed aluminum finish

Hi all,
      I want the bumpers on my Chevelle to look like they are brushed aluminum or stainless steel finish to match my wheels. I had seen several like that at SEMA a few years ago and I asked one of the owners about it and he said that they were painted to look like that. Unfortunately he didn't know how they did it. Does anyone know how you can make a painted bumper look like that? I'll attach a pic of one at SEMA that had all the chrome outside look like brushed finish. Thanks.

Alex

A bright silver with a satin clear maybe?

Country Flag: United States
      I wasn't paying close enough attention, but Foose did all of the trim on an Overhaulin' Mustang in brushed aluminum last season. I thought it looked great.
      Matt
      1965 Pontiac GTO – Spotts 421 Tripower | TKO600 | 3.90s | Vintage AC | Baers | Hotchkis/SPC/BMR Suspension | Intro Vistas | BFG KDW Redlines | 06 GTO Seats

He used an alum. colored paint, then sanded the area with a sanding brick pulled in one direction only and guided by a straight edge jig held in place by two people resulting in a brushed metal look. Clear was applied over it.

The chrome and bright trim was done in a satin chrome finish. I believe some bright trim was just scuffed up with a scotchbrite pad.

Quote Originally Posted by CapSS92
      Hi all,
      I want the bumpers on my Chevelle to look like they are brushed aluminum or stainless steel finish to match my wheels. I had seen several like that at SEMA a few years ago and I asked one of the owners about it and he said that they were painted to look like that. Unfortunately he didn't know how they did it. Does anyone know how you can make a painted bumper look like that? I'll attach a pic of one at SEMA that had all the chrome outside look like brushed finish. Thanks.

Alex
      I think that Scott Sullivan's 55 that was done in the late 80's looks a lot better than that. http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_58.html His process is just a scotch brite pad over stainless trim.

Jeff

http://www.kodakgallery.com/67rscamaro

A lot of the brushed bumpers are nickel plated not chromed. It is softer and allows you to scuff with a scotchbrite. Nickel if I am not wrong is what is the base for the chrome coating or process. The reason it is followed by chrome is it is too soft.

The above pics just look like satin silver.

if you have the time you can da sand your chrome to 400 then brush with red scuff pad and have decent results

Thanks for the ideas guys. I have a spare bumper I'm gonna have dechromed and I'll try the paint idea first.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com