Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

69 Camaro Wiper Conversion ???

Anyone done a late model wiper delay motor into a Camaro ?? Classic Ind, sells one for over $350,SURELY junkyard tech has taken over by someone out there on a project car ?? Any info ???????
      Last edited by 69c4x11; 02-22-2005 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Wrong word

Wiper motor reply

The Wiper motor swap is a little more than taking one from a junkyard. Detroit Speed Engineering developed the kit, but you can get it from them direct at $299. If you want to lower your cost of your wiper motor. Well, just sell your old one on E-Bay. I got $175 out of mine, but it was NOS too. Here is the writeup about Wiper motor conversion..
      http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_0401_wipe/index.html

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Sparky67
      The Wiper motor swap is a little more than taking one from a junkyard. Detroit Speed Engineering developed the kit, but you can get it from them direct at $299. If you want to lower your cost of your wiper motor. Well, just sell your old one on E-Bay. I got $175 out of mine, but it was NOS too. Here is the writeup about Wiper motor conversion..
      http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_0401_wipe/index.html

The trouble with the DSE kit is that the switch they supply with the kit looks like something from a high school electronics project.
      I am working on a way to get the late model multi function turn signal lever into my 69 to get the factory look on the switch.
      Also the DSE kit does not address the need for a washer pump.

The wiper motor that they use in the selecta-speed kit is from a 93-02 F-body and is also used on several other GM models. I purchased the motor and wiring pigtail on e-bay for $22 dollars shipped. I plan on solving the switch problem by also using a column from the late model F-body. This should give me all of the delay positions, washer function and tilt to boot. Billet Specialties and Grant have steering wheel adapters that will allow you to ditch the factory steering wheel/air bag.

Let Me know how this turns out !!! I already have the late model column in my car,, firewall is smooth with no hole exposed, relocated wiper motor, thought while I was at would try one with a delay,,,,

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 67rsssls
      The wiper motor that they use in the selecta-speed kit is from a 93-02 F-body and is also used on several other GM models. I purchased the motor and wiring pigtail on e-bay for $22 dollars shipped. I plan on solving the switch problem by also using a column from the late model F-body. This should give me all of the delay positions, washer function and tilt to boot. Billet Specialties and Grant have steering wheel adapters that will allow you to ditch the factory steering wheel/air bag.
      The motor I got with mine is not the 4th gen f-body unit. It is something else. Looks like the F-car part, but is not.

I can shed some light on this, with the exception of delay.

I followed the initial instructions from Overkill at Camaroheaven. I then took it a step beyond. Yiou can get the details here:

http://www.camaroheaven.org/modules....viewtopic&t=75

I wanted a totally smoothed firewall which sent me searching. I found out how the 85 VW wiper motor can be made to fit in the cowl. I tweaked the wiring diagrams that had been out there and came up with a sure way to use the 69 Camaro wiper switch to operate the VW motor on high/low with park AND washer.

Now, since then I took a late model column switch and figured out how to attach it to the VW motor so you can then use the added free space on the dash (where the old switch went) for another gauge. In my case I used that space for a fuel pressure gauge.

Maybe this info will give you some ideas of options.

I do know that VW offered a delay on these cars. I see no reason why with a little research that can't be integrated into your stock GM wiper switch and VW motor for a dead smooth firewall and washer motor.
      Chris McDonald

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com