Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

oil system component order and p/s pump ?

Looking to sort a few things out. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction or correct my intent, if any. The car is a 78 t/a. Pontiac engine w/ factory A/C except sanden compressor. Purpose/ intent for the car is road race and open road race.

First: Oil system
      I plan to run my oil system with the following components in this order; oil leaves block and flow to accumulator then to cooler followed by the filter and back into the engine. I will be using all -10 hose. Would like to know if this is the optimum order the components should be. For instance, should the filter be before or after the cooler or accumulator.
      1b – I can place the accumulator in front of the radiator support or on the firewall. Which is preferred.
      1c – A nice spot for the filter is in front of the radiator support just to the right of the radiator. I am thinking if there is a collision and the filter gets damaged, I’m toast. Am I thinking to negative or should I move it else where. There really are not too many choices for the application.
      1d – at what point does one require these components other than a filter?
      1e – what temperature is too high for oil and a cooler is needed?

Second: what power steering pumps work best with hydroboost? Which ones can handle the extra load? Is the GM 2 (remote res.) better than the typical GM pump (attached res.)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com