Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Stripping paint off of a carbon fiber hood?

I recently bought an already-painted carbon fiber hood (got a really great deal on it) and I've thought of changing up the scheme on it, which would involve removing paint from part of the hood and leaving the carbon fiber showing (though cleared over) on that section. Is this possible? And if it's possible, is it risky or overly time-consuming to do it, or should it not be a huge issue? I hope someone around here can help me out!

Thanks in advance!

Kris
      Custom Car Design, Hot Rod Art, and more...

Stripping a CF hood

A. I don't know why anyone would paint them in the first place
      B. Stripping it is going to be pretty hard because it depends a lot on how good the clear coat was on the hood before it was painted
      C. Next time or if you strip it and it doesn't work, try to buy a damaged hood or a hood with a defect in it that way you can just paint or decal over small portions of it. (ya I know it is hard to find a good defective hood but sometimes they have them at carbon fiber hoods

The hood was painted to avoid having a boy racer-ish look. Some parts (the heat extractor vents) were left just clear over the CF. We'll see...I know it can't be the best way to go, but I thought I'd make do with the hood I've got, but I may start with a brand new one when the time comes. Thanks for the input!
      Custom Car Design, Hot Rod Art, and more...

Country Flag: United States

fiberglass paint stripper

You could use this:

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=72&prodid=113

You will then need to prep the CF for clearcoat to reproduce the orignial luster.

fiberglass and carbon fiber r not the smae thing. CF will melt with the aircraft stripper. About the only way I know to do this is to sand it off with a DA sander. I haven't never done it or heard of anyone doing it, but this would be what I would try first. I have never seen what a topcoat does to CF so it may be burned into it. I have tried to clear a CF wing and it didn't do so well. Don't they put a gel coat on CF? I have no idea.

You are correct in that 'glass and CF are not the same thing but they are not dissimilar! They are both classified as "fiber reinforcement material". They are "sandwiched" in many applications along with other types of fiber reinforcement material used for structural components in the racing/aerospace/airplance industry. This is what is called "composite fabrication".

I didn't believe it was necessary to have to say this in my initial post but I have worked in the vintage car/airplane/racing car restoration arena for over 25 years now. I stand firm in my post about being able to use this paint stripper for fiberglass because I have used this product successfully for many years!!! It is a great product but not the only product. There are other manufacturers that provide the same type of product.

I've used it to remove paint from fiberglass/carbon fiber parts. I also successfully refinished those CF pieces with an application of clearcoat making those parts look like brand new CF parts with no adhesion problems especially when put into service.

Grumpy,

If I may ask you please, and I ask in sincere curiosity, have you seen the resin that is part of the structure of a finished piece of CF or 'glass melt from this type of paint stripper? It can "move the resin" but I have not in my years of experience seen it melt.! Of course, as with any chemical stripper you need to use caution and follow instructions. It is not at all like the typical aircraft stripper that is applied to metal panels where you can be negligent and still safely strip the car. You must use care, caution and most of all follow the instructions.

Topcoating a finished CF piece with paint will not "burn into the resin". You must provide the appropriate mechanical adhesion in order to successfully apply a topcoat that will remain adhered to the part especially when put into service. Anytime you do not properly prepare a surface for topcoating you can/will run into adhesion concerns. Any 2-part material that has "chemically crosslinked" (cured) and you attempt to reapply a coating, chemical adhesion cannot occur thus it will not "burn" into the resin.

In the racing industry they do not apply a "gelcoat or surface coat". I have heard that there are certain applications where a gel coat has been applied but even the guys that I'm acquainted with that have been building 'glass and CF pieces for over 50 years say it is not very common. You will find that 'glass parts will commonly have gelcoats or surface coats. The purpose of the gelcoat is to not only give the part a finished appearance but to also fill the 'glass weave pattern so there is less preparation for painting.

Kris,

In the auto industry you will find alot of advertising of CF parts but from what I've seen - about half of them are not really "true" CF parts. They claim the part to be CF when in reality they use CF as the "overlay"; applying a single layer of CF over a fiberglass foundation simply for appearance sake with not structural purpose. My experience has been when they do this they also use the incorrect resin; using a general purpose polyester resin - which is the most commonly used resin as opposed to the appropriate resin which is epoxy resin. Tough stuff!!! Please understand that not all manufacturer's do this it just happened that I've experienced quite a bit of "mixed info" when having to repair some of this products.

Hope this helps! If you are still concerned you can still take grumpy's advise and sand the paint material off. If you have a properly fabricated CF part you should not have any concerns removing the paint, prepping the surface, then applying a 2-part urethane clearcoat which will make it look like brand new part. Just be aware when sanding with an orbital sander (DA) you must use caution not to cut thru the resin into the CF fabric. If you do, then you will need to repair that spot with the proper resin. A general rule: use a finer grit instead of the most coarse to sand down the paint. So, don't stick a #80 grit sandpaper disc and go to town on the hood - LOL!!!! Try a #180 grit to start and slowly work an area and see how it is removing the paint.

Take your time and think it thru. Talk to as many people whom you would trust their opinion, ask their background. I have discovered that alot of counter persons many have information from what they have read or someone passed on but it would even better if you found someone that has both expereince and knowledge on whatever subject matter you're seeking advice or instruction. Also, pick up product bulletins on any material you'll be using on your car so you have the tech info on hand - very important info!!

Grumpy, your post is appreciated and I merely wanted to share some information hoping that it might help those persons grasp a better foundation before they started their project. With a better understanding I believe a persons project will be efficacious!

Thanks for listening!

Alchemist
      p.s. If you brethren feel I've wasted bandwidth - please inform me and I'll be on my way! Thanks again for your time!

Kris,

Have you started on the hood? I hadn't realized that you are the very talented young man who stirred up alot of excitement back in September 2003 with your 2010 Camaro concept illustration. I remember seeing your illustration in Hot Rodding magazine:
      http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...ept/index.html

It's a pleasure to meet you online.

Alchemist

Well Alchemist, Just goes to show I know a lot less about CF than u probably have forgotten about it. Probably fiberglass as well. I have only limited workings with fiberglass and even less with CF so I suppose maybe I should keep to things I know more about. I guess I'm 1 of those guys that knows a little about a lot, and not alot about very much. lol thanks for setting me stright on this though. later

grumpy,

No concerns here - I can appreciate your passion though!! Thank you for understanding that I was only sharing info - not wanting to be antagonistic because when you read words online you cannot determine the "tone" with which the message was delivered - unless of course it's blantantly obvious - LOL!!

Anyway, you have a fantastic weekend grumpy, as well as all the other members.

Alchemist

Removing paint from CF hood

Alchemist -

Great information and just started removing paint off CF hood, with sand paper-
      quick question though - do you recommend wet-sanding or straight dry sand until paint and primer is removed and CF starts to show?

thanks in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
      You are correct in that 'glass and CF are not the same thing but they are not dissimilar! They are both classified as "fiber reinforcement material". They are "sandwiched" in many applications along with other types of fiber reinforcement material used for structural components in the racing/aerospace/airplance industry. This is what is called "composite fabrication".

I didn't believe it was necessary to have to say this in my initial post but I have worked in the vintage car/airplane/racing car restoration arena for over 25 years now. I stand firm in my post about being able to use this paint stripper for fiberglass because I have used this product successfully for many years!!! It is a great product but not the only product. There are other manufacturers that provide the same type of product.

I've used it to remove paint from fiberglass/carbon fiber parts. I also successfully refinished those CF pieces with an application of clearcoat making those parts look like brand new CF parts with no adhesion problems especially when put into service.

Grumpy,

If I may ask you please, and I ask in sincere curiosity, have you seen the resin that is part of the structure of a finished piece of CF or 'glass melt from this type of paint stripper? It can "move the resin" but I have not in my years of experience seen it melt.! Of course, as with any chemical stripper you need to use caution and follow instructions. It is not at all like the typical aircraft stripper that is applied to metal panels where you can be negligent and still safely strip the car. You must use care, caution and most of all follow the instructions.

Topcoating a finished CF piece with paint will not "burn into the resin". You must provide the appropriate mechanical adhesion in order to successfully apply a topcoat that will remain adhered to the part especially when put into service. Anytime you do not properly prepare a surface for topcoating you can/will run into adhesion concerns. Any 2-part material that has "chemically crosslinked" (cured) and you attempt to reapply a coating, chemical adhesion cannot occur thus it will not "burn" into the resin.

In the racing industry they do not apply a "gelcoat or surface coat". I have heard that there are certain applications where a gel coat has been applied but even the guys that I'm acquainted with that have been building 'glass and CF pieces for over 50 years say it is not very common. You will find that 'glass parts will commonly have gelcoats or surface coats. The purpose of the gelcoat is to not only give the part a finished appearance but to also fill the 'glass weave pattern so there is less preparation for painting.

Kris,

In the auto industry you will find alot of advertising of CF parts but from what I've seen - about half of them are not really "true" CF parts. They claim the part to be CF when in reality they use CF as the "overlay"; applying a single layer of CF over a fiberglass foundation simply for appearance sake with not structural purpose. My experience has been when they do this they also use the incorrect resin; using a general purpose polyester resin - which is the most commonly used resin as opposed to the appropriate resin which is epoxy resin. Tough stuff!!! Please understand that not all manufacturer's do this it just happened that I've experienced quite a bit of "mixed info" when having to repair some of this products.

Hope this helps! If you are still concerned you can still take grumpy's advise and sand the paint material off. If you have a properly fabricated CF part you should not have any concerns removing the paint, prepping the surface, then applying a 2-part urethane clearcoat which will make it look like brand new part. Just be aware when sanding with an orbital sander (DA) you must use caution not to cut thru the resin into the CF fabric. If you do, then you will need to repair that spot with the proper resin. A general rule: use a finer grit instead of the most coarse to sand down the paint. So, don't stick a #80 grit sandpaper disc and go to town on the hood - LOL!!!! Try a #180 grit to start and slowly work an area and see how it is removing the paint.

Take your time and think it thru. Talk to as many people whom you would trust their opinion, ask their background. I have discovered that alot of counter persons many have information from what they have read or someone passed on but it would even better if you found someone that has both expereince and knowledge on whatever subject matter you're seeking advice or instruction. Also, pick up product bulletins on any material you'll be using on your car so you have the tech info on hand - very important info!!

Grumpy, your post is appreciated and I merely wanted to share some information hoping that it might help those persons grasp a better foundation before they started their project. With a better understanding I believe a persons project will be efficacious!

Thanks for listening!

Alchemist
      p.s. If you brethren feel I've wasted bandwidth - please inform me and I'll be on my way! Thanks again for your time!

Alchemist -

Great information and just started removing paint off CF hood, with sand paper-
      quick question though - do you recommend wet-sanding or straight dry sand until paint and primer is removed and CF starts to show?

thanks in advance!!

Country Flag: United States
      I second the suggestion of using a sanding processes to get a majority of the paint and topcoat off. One caveat I would offer is to take your time and go slow so you dont dig down into the carbon. If you do your cosmetic weave layer will go from sharp lines to circles where the material has been removed in the weave.

You can start with a dry on a DA but as you get down to seeing the last of the topcoat, switch to a finer paper by hand so you ease into it. Assuming there was a clear over the carbon fiber, you will have some buffer before you hit the fabric. Been there a few times myself.

Good luck with the restoration, sir!

Just a thought but you could call the maker of the CF hood and see what they suggest?

CarboLift will do the job without hurting the carbon.

What do you do after stripping off the paint using carbolift? Apply epoxy resin then add clear coat?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com