Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

looking for articles on Vette Brakes front suspension for 2ng gen camaro

I bought this suspension set up years ago (never installed) and can't find many people with this set up ..... anyone out there with this set up? (this set up replaces the front coil springs with a trans-vers mounted spring thx

I did a step by step install story 15 years ago for a magazine when I was molesting my 80 Hugger Camaro. Let me see if I have it on my home computor, if not I can photo copy and mail you the story.

yes thank you,

how does this set up compare to the newer stuff out there?
      (Intrested in ride quality and preformance etc)
      I read somepace (cant remember where but some people complained about the ride being bouncey and where trying to get the right shock combo to cure the problem)

I have the complete system (upper and lower control arms and rear composite Single leaf spring )

Rides like crap, handles like crazy! I pulled some big skid pad numbers with it. Created some back problems too! Lost a kidney, but it handled! Then again, Go Carts handle!

One thing I hated was there was ZERO stored energy up front, ZERO weight transfer. Car would not hook at a stop light or the dragstrip at all. You need to be able to move weight, weight transfer, to get the weight on the rear tires, no chance of that with that spring.

I would never do it again. To much cool stuff out there now. And I am way to old to get beat up everytime I drive something

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms
      Rides like crap, handles like crazy! I pulled some big skid pad numbers with it. Created some back problems too! Lost a kidney, but it handled! Then again, Go Carts handle!

One thing I hated was there was ZERO stored energy up front, ZERO weight transfer. Car would not hook at a stop light or the dragstrip at all. You need to be able to move weight, weight transfer, to get the weight on the rear tires, no chance of that with that spring.

I would never do it again. To much cool stuff out there now. And I am way to old to get beat up everytime I drive something
      What would you recommend for good upgrade
      I am like you about harsh riding car plus I live in the New york city area (bad roads and rutts to deal with)

This is whats on the car know (stock control arms with Koni shocks and guldstand springs in front and Vette brakes rear spring and it rides like a rock.) Larger front and rear sway bars (bigger then the stock one that came on my Z/28)

What would you recommend for good upgrade
      I am like you about harsh riding car plus I live in the New york city area (bad roads and rutts to deal with)

This is whats on the car know (stock control arms with Koni shocks and guldstand springs in front and Vette brakes rear spring and it rides like a rock.) Larger front and rear sway bars (bigger then the stock one that came on my Z/28)

would like as much details as possible like spring rates shocks alignment specs etc.. I dont have a nasa budjet so looking for the best bang for the buck

also would still like to see the write up you did for the vette brake suspenion

You will die in that car from a broken neck in New York! There are lots of different options. Your welcome to give me a call to discuss.

four zero seven 832 1752

You will die in that car from a broken neck in New York! There are lots of different options. Your welcome to give me a call to discuss.

four zero seven 832 1752
      will do thx

that mono-spring conversion is not well loved in the 2nd gen community
      1971 Camaro, 383 stroker ~500HP,M21 Trans with lightened flywheel. All Sorts of Auto-x Goodness in the Suspension. 12" Brakes ->SOLD

But ask me about my 2004 STi Auto-x car...

Just call me Brett

I do know that the proper shocks will fix the "bouncy" thing. You have to get double adjustable shocks.
      Jeremy has had good results with his setup. However, he has a Pontiac motor in his, so there's just a little more weight on the front end.
      AFAIK he disconnected the front sway bar because the car just didn't need it any more.

Pontiac motor with AC so I would think it is heavier than a SB Chevy.

The sway bar was not doing anything for roll control from my tests and was hurting ride quality. The endlinks are gone and I have been too lazy to remove the bar. Once I removed the bar, you could feel each wheel truly moving independently.

I am running double adjustable vari shocks and the settings for rebound and compression are within 2 clicks (14 compression and 16 rebound). You could probably get by with single adjustables as long as they had enough range.

I am very very pleased with the ride. It took a while getting here but it is better than the factory ws6 stuff. My drivers window used to rattle over bumps and it doesn't know so the suspension must be doing its job.

It is a fast acting system, that's for sure. I am also running it on the highest spring setting. It is very adjustable which can be good or a pain if you don't keep records as to how each change affects things. I even raised the ride height on front a bit. I don't like the looks as well, but the ride is much better and I more centered in the suspension travel. It also got rid of my driveline vibration as my pinion angle was slightly off. I'll get a tire with a taller sidewall when its time and the stance will be better or I need to lower the rear 1/2 inch to be able to get back to the same front end height as I had before.

I am very pleased with the system as it did what I wanted. Getmore didn't mention it, but the car is quieter on the inside as the fiberglass spring seems to transfer a lot less road noise, even with solid bushings.

I am pleased with the ride and the front end is super flat even with no sway bar. I need to tune the rear to match a little better but I can't safely push the car to its limits on the street. Overall I am pleased but I like to tinker, er I mean tune, so it has given me something to do for a couple of years. If you want to bolt something in and go, I would probably recommend something different.

I did a step by step install story 15 years ago for a magazine when I was molesting my 80 Hugger Camaro. Let me see if I have it on my home computor, if not I can photo copy and mail you the story.

Hi did you get a chance to pull up your old info thx Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
      Pontiac motor with AC so I would think it is heavier than a SB Chevy.

The sway bar was not doing anything for roll control from my tests and was hurting ride quality. The endlinks are gone and I have been too lazy to remove the bar. Once I removed the bar, you could feel each wheel truly moving independently.

I am running double adjustable vari shocks and the settings for rebound and compression are within 2 clicks (14 compression and 16 rebound). You could probably get by with single adjustables as long as they had enough range.

I am very very pleased with the ride. It took a while getting here but it is better than the factory ws6 stuff. My drivers window used to rattle over bumps and it doesn't know so the suspension must be doing its job.

It is a fast acting system, that's for sure. I am also running it on the highest spring setting. It is very adjustable which can be good or a pain if you don't keep records as to how each change affects things. I even raised the ride height on front a bit. I don't like the looks as well, but the ride is much better and I more centered in the suspension travel. It also got rid of my driveline vibration as my pinion angle was slightly off. I'll get a tire with a taller sidewall when its time and the stance will be better or I need to lower the rear 1/2 inch to be able to get back to the same front end height as I had before.

I am very pleased with the system as it did what I wanted. Getmore didn't mention it, but the car is quieter on the inside as the fiberglass spring seems to transfer a lot less road noise, even with solid bushings.

I am pleased with the ride and the front end is super flat even with no sway bar. I need to tune the rear to match a little better but I can't safely push the car to its limits on the street. Overall I am pleased but I like to tinker, er I mean tune, so it has given me something to do for a couple of years. If you want to bolt something in and go, I would probably recommend something different.

thank you for the input ... do you have detailed
      pictures of your set up?

Quote Originally Posted by maldo
      Hi did you get a chance to pull up your old info thx Jim
      Is it the old "Hot rod " article ? Have a copy in my garage.....

Olav

Quote Originally Posted by Olav
      Is it the old "Hot rod " article ? Have a copy in my garage.....

Olav

not sure who did the write up on it

The litmus test to me is the SO test. If she feels it rides bad then you know its bad. Mine doesn't mind riding in the car any time I want to take the family out in it. If it rode that rough, I doubt she would put up with it no matter how much I like the car.

Maldo, I found the magazine, here is a scan of the opening page. I did this in 1992 before we even knew what I was doing was Pro Touring! Guess we were a bit ahead of the curve!

As I said, I did a step by step installation story. The installation story is 10 pages long, PM me your address and I will send a photo copy.

you da man thx sent you my email adr at work

I moved the spring from the max to the middle and drove it. It is almost downright supple. I think it actually handled better as it felt more balanced.

Still no sway bar and I left the shocks at 16 and 16. There was one dip that was about an inch deep and less than a foot wide and it felt pretty bad but I did not get the vault out the backside.

Overall, I am very pleased. I will have to try it on the softest spring setting one of these days just because I can.

Found the old Hot rod article scanned it today. Can e-mail it if anyone want a copy.

Olav

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com