Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Big Block Chevys and Oil Leaks

I have a Mark IV big block Chevy and can not fix an annoying leak. It shows up worse after hard acceleration. The oil spays oil over the passenger side of the engine compartment and even on the underside of the hood. It then drips from every part of the engine and tranny. I've changed the harmonic balancer seal twice and the pan gasket three times with no success. The oil seams to be hitting the harmonic balancer and slinging oil to the passanger side of the engine bay. It seams like the likely canidates are the oil pan gasket and the harmonic balancer seal.

The harmonic balancer is a Fluidamper and is new. The oil pan is a Moroso 9 quart pan with the one piece silicone gasket. I am running a PCV valve plumbed to the plenum. I tried using silicone sealant around the timing chain cover to pan area of the gasket. It didn't work.

I was wondering if anyone tried using an electric vaccum pump to evacuate the crank case pressure. I could make an accumulator for the oil to seperate and return to the pan. This leaking is getting real old though.

Anyone have simliar problems and have any cures?

Thanks,
      Dennis

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com