Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

1971 Dodge Demon Street/Touring

In the MOPAR world, I would be considered an outcast. I don't really care about the strip, ETs, or big cubes. I despise restorations and numbers-matching.

Since getting my '71 Demon in February, I have battled to just keep it on the road, let alone make sure it's original, fast, or pretty. Thirty-seven years of use and abuse to the slant six and TF904 have left it a slug with many issues; issues that I've been fixing with my small paychecks while I was in college.

Well, I graduated in June, and finally have a real paycheck coming in. Now, I can finally sit down and focus on my project: a real street machine. Something that can drive eight hours on end with no issues. Something that turns, handles, stops, and drives well. An all-around, balanced muscle car. And that's where all of my purchases and ideas have been heading since I purchased it. So here's what's been done:

The day I bought it:

I started with a non-op speedometer, so I had to replace it. In came the aftermarket:

Autometer Designer Black gauges - Autometer senders - Detroit Electric LEDs

Redline Gaugeworks Dash Panel

Finished product - Back

Finished Product - Front

(blue light is high-beam indicator)

Then my brakes failed....while I was driving it. So a call to Magnumforce Race Car Fabrications took care of that:

Magnumforce tubular UCAs - Magnumforce disc brake spindles - Wilwood HD Brake Kit - Wilwood brake accessories

- Brian

1971 Dodge Demon
      - 5.9L Magnum V8/904
      Modifications: Magnumforce uppers, Wilwood discs, Autometer/Redline Gaugeworks dash

The only issue was, the old wheels didn't clear the dust cap diameter. On came the white wagon wheels

(also pictured here are the new hood pins - to keep the dang hood from flopping)

Well finally I was on the road. It felt nice. A week later or so, my buddy decided to drop this off for FREE!:

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Magnum 160,XXX miles.

I was originally thinking of a turbo'd slant six, but for the price of a re-ring and a turbo setup, I could have this thing built solidly for 400hp/475lbft.

Even the internals look fairly nice!

So that's where I stand now; I have a running /6 Demon waiting for a disassembled 5.9L LA/Magnum hybrid to get put back together and stuffed between its framerails. Currently, I am purchasing motor parts and looking into a rack and pinion setup to replace the well-worn power steering box.

I am also looking at wheel/tire combos. I am seriously considering 17" Torq-Thrust Originals in natural cast-aluminum but am also looking into other suggestions. All of your input is welcome. Except for paint. It's getting a re-coat of the original green paint you see because everyone hates it. And that's what makes me love it
      - Brian

1971 Dodge Demon
      - 5.9L Magnum V8/904
      Modifications: Magnumforce uppers, Wilwood discs, Autometer/Redline Gaugeworks dash

Country Flag: United States
      Cool car. Keep it green. That is always in fashion.

I like the Wilwoods behind trailer wheels. Sleeper.

That little car will scoot with 475HP. Do they still weigh around 3000lbs in '71?

Cool project I am doing a rendering of the same car for another PT member right now..I did a really out there version just for kicks but the one i am doing is alot less subtle than this one

Nice.....
      RobS
      71 Demon, 6.1hemi, paddled 4l65e, AlterK, Tri4,

KEWL PROJECT. I love demons and dusters, mines not as nice or pro-turing like yours but heres my 70 duster with a slant 6(not trying to high jack your thread.

uhh, yours is way nicer than mine
      - Brian

1971 Dodge Demon
      - 5.9L Magnum V8/904

I dont know, if you keep going the way you are now your going to have one nice ride. Im still on stock drums and everthing else.....

Very nice looking.

I wish I could afford to upgrade my brakes, but my Kelsey Hayes front disks will have to do for now. (Small bolt pattern).

If I upgraded, I would have to replace front spindles, rear axles, and all my wheels!

Oh well, Glad you're doing it the right way! Can't wait to see this thing develop.
      Travis

1968 Mustang Coupe WideBody
      1968 Barracuda Formula S Sold 10/10/10

My Barracuda.
      It's more than just an old car,
      It's my one freedom.

Country Flag: Australia
      Great start man and nice to see your staying with the original green, should look great.
      Although I have to say in regard to your first post that not all mopar guys are straight line obsessed, I'm in the process of trying to build an "A" body that'll turn and stop as well. Anyway keep us posted with your progress.

I think those cars are cool. I have always loved that body style since my grandpa bought one brand new.

Cool car.

Country Flag: Netherlands
      Great start man, keep it going, be patient and you will end up with a beautiful ride!

My motor came back from the machine shop yesterday!

It got a nice acid-bath, went .030 over, and some new parts:

Sealed Power pistons and rings
      Clevite 77 main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings
      New distributor bushing
      Federal Mogul brass freeze plugs and galley plugs

I also did a lot of work on my homemade shifter bracket for the floor shifter. After bending it up last week, I ground down the edges, painted it black, and drilled the mounting holes both for the shifter and the bracket last night.

- Brian

1971 Dodge Demon
      - 5.9L Magnum V8/904

The Demon is coming along great. You are doing nice work.
      Put Up Or Shut Up!!!

Put the pen to the paper and came up with this as a render of what I'm looking for:

- Brian

1971 Dodge Demon
      - 5.9L Magnum V8/904

That's pretty cool lookin.. Do you plan on getting the car that low??
      RobS
      71 Demon, 6.1hemi, paddled 4l65e, AlterK, Tri4,

I like the rendering but I think it needs one of any of the bad-ass mopar hoods from the 60's or 70's. My first car was a 71 Duster. Might have been into mopars if my brother hadn't pulled into the driveway in a 68 Camaro when I was 17.
      RagRat

Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by rjsjea
      That's pretty cool lookin.. Do you plan on getting the car that low??
      probably not that low, but close. It also looks like those are 18" wheels or so, but I'll probably use 16's or 17's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rag-Rat
      I like the rendering but I think it needs one of any of the bad-ass mopar hoods from the 60's or 70's. My first car was a 71 Duster. Might have been into mopars if my brother hadn't pulled into the driveway in a 68 Camaro when I was 17.
      I have been pondering some of these. I just didn't know which one I wanted, so I left it stock for now.
      - Brian

1971 Dodge Demon
      - 5.9L Magnum V8/904

Quote Originally Posted by sharpie View Post
      Put the pen to the paper and came up with this as a render of what I'm looking for:

does anyone know if they make those wheels in 18's?

Country Flag: Australia
      rendering looks cool sharpie, I'd definitely try and run something close to the wheel and tire package in the pic if you can. They definitely don't look to "bling" IMO but an 18" would set the car apart from your everyday mopar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com