Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

DSE Minitub 1970 Nova install with pics

Just started my install tonight. This will be a slow project, but will post many pics. Tonight I worked for about 1 hr and removed the rear end and drilled out the spot welds on the drivers side at the trunk support mount and the rear seat support.

1. Step 1 Pull the rear end and any interior that may get hurt by cutting,grinding,welding.

This is the spot weld cutter I am using. It is a WIVCO "SPOT-EZE"

3. Third Drill the spot welds for the trunk support mount and the back seat bracing.

These are just a couple before pics.

Last edited by ls1 nova; 07-16-2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Lack of info

Country Flag: United States
      looks good! I will be following this closely as I am going to be doing this within the next few months... Well after I replace the quarters, trunk, floor, firewall, toe boards, part of the roof, package tray, and the tail panel... So I'll be starting kinds soon haha... I've subscribed tho!
      Colin Russ

Looks like your off to a great start.I remember when i did mine i couldn't get over how many spotwelds there are holding the tubs in.Keep posting pictures
      69 Nova
      427 small block
      [Mini tub pics]

Man that looks great can you do mine !

I like the color of your Nova. ;)
      The few, the proud, the crazy... the LT1 owners.

Just spent a couple more hours on the tubs. Here is the progress.

4. I drilled the spot welds in this area.

5. I started cutting with a sawzall to get the majority of the tub out of the way. This part went very quickly. I cut right along side of the joint between the inner and the outer. Between this and drilling the for mentioined spot welds most of the tub was out.

Notice I did not cut all the way to the trunkpan in the rear. These are NOT full wheelhouses. There will be a splice along the trunk line. Just not sure exactly where yet.

6. The next step was to get the small section of the tub at the front -bottom. I found there were patches welded in here at some point, so it wasn't just a matter of drilling spotwelds. I had to grind/cut this out.

7. With the tub out of the way this was a good time to drill the spot welds on the trunk lid support bracket. A right angle drill comes in handy. I have a cage installed in the car. It looks like the rear bars are going to have to move. Hopefully a can just suck them in a little?

Make sure you save this piece.

8. Next I started drilling spot welds where the inner and outer join. I have found this really bites my ass! If anybody knows of a better way to seperate these please let me know(air chisel??) This is where I quite for the night and started drinking.

Just some pics of whats left of the tub and pics of wheel opening inside the car.

I will post somemore when I get done drilling spot welds.

still looking awesome! keep it up! think you'll have them mocked up and tacked in by the end of this weekend?
      Colin Russ

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      Quote Originally Posted by ls1 nova

8. Next I started drilling spot welds where the inner and outer join. I have found this really bites my ass! If anybody knows of a better way to seperate these please let me know(air chisel??) This is where I quite for the night and started drinking.

I usually cut the horizontal section out right at the vertical section starts and then use a big angle grinder to flatten out the section that the new tub tacks too...its adds a tiny bit more tire room and more meat to the section to make welding a bit easier.

Your doing great.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

Great shots!

Thanks!
      John Brown
      1971 Nova - Project Car
      1990 Silverado - Ridetech StreetGRIP
      Instagram @wilwaxu
      Facebook @wilwaxu

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuick
      I usually cut the horizontal section out right at the vertical section starts and then use a big angle grinder to flatten out the section that the new tub tacks too...its adds a tiny bit more tire room and more meat to the section to make welding a bit easier.

Your doing great.

Exactly what MrQuick said makes things so much easier.
      69 Nova
      427 small block
      [Mini tub pics]

Country Flag: Canada

I used an air chisel...it worked great. The nice thing is both pieces are fairly thick and the chisel shouldn't damage either piece. It cut right through the welds when I did it. Looking good. I'm doing the same thing to mine right now so I'm appreciating what you're doing and feeling your pain at the same time.

Just put in an evenings worth of work. Here is the update.

9. I went with Mr. Quick and stopped drilling spot welds and just smoothed the lip. Great idea. A little more room never hurts.

10. I cut the flange in the interior part of the car. Measure in 2 1/2" from the original tub and scribe a line. I measured outward 1" and scribed another line. Cut back on the ends to your 2 1/2" line. Then cut lenthwise on your 1" outward line. At this point I took 3 4" duckbill vise grips and bent the flange down 90 degrees.

Some pics.

11. Next step was to cut the trunk section but I had an issue with my roll bar being in the way. Here is some pics with the 2 1/2" line scribed and the bar pulled away.

I cut the bar with a saw zall. I was shocked it did an amazing job. Went through 1 blade real quick. I then used cutting oil and she sliced right through!

Pics after 2 1/2" section cut.

12. Next step was to do the frame notch. I used the trial and fit method to get the gaps nice.

13. Next I cut the seat brace.

14. Next was fitting the tub. I left all my cuts 1/16" - 1/8" short. I then ground to fit. Here is what it looks like.

Next step will be installing all the frame closeouts.

looking good!! it is a lot of work but way worth it!

Chris V
      SOLD

phenomenal work. Looking good. Your hired! HAA!! I beat Frank to it.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Follow us on Facebook

Nice job looks like youv'e been doing these all your life.
      Wayne
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Just a question. That small piece of shock mount left, have you guys been removing it? The tub fits fine but seems like the fill in piece would be cleaner without it?

When your done... I have another one for you ;)
      John Brown
      1971 Nova - Project Car
      1990 Silverado - Ridetech StreetGRIP
      Instagram @wilwaxu
      Facebook @wilwaxu

Just a question. That small piece of shock mount left, have you guys been removing it? The tub fits fine but seems like the fill in piece would be cleaner without it?
      yep, you cut it all the way out.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Follow us on Facebook

Looks awesome! Nice work. I'm glad that I'm finished with the deep tubs. Are you going to run the DSE upper shock cross member?
      PartTime
      Chris Hager

Are you planning on using the stock spring locations?
      Jon
      71 Nova LT1/4L60E

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com