Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      9. I went with Mr. Quick and stopped drilling spot welds and just smoothed the lip. Great idea. A little more room never hurts.

what part exactly are you talking about you have any pics of what your talking about i am waiting on my dse tubs and going to start here in the next few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by craigs73
      what part exactly are you talking about you have any pics of what your talking about i am waiting on my dse tubs and going to start here in the next few weeks
      He talking about the spotwelds that run on the top of the wheeltubs - the vertical flange. Instead of drilling out the 6 million spotwelds, just cut the tub out and leave the inner flange spotwelded in place. Smooth with a grinder and prepare for welding. We did this as well and saved us hours. You can't even tell the old flange is there when you're done.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Quote Originally Posted by silver69camaro
      He talking about the spotwelds that run on the top of the wheeltubs - the vertical flange. Instead of drilling out the 6 million spotwelds, just cut the tub out and leave the inner flange spotwelded in place. Smooth with a grinder and prepare for welding. We did this as well and saved us hours. You can't even tell the old flange is there when you're done.
      I just went from underneath with my air hammer...the only thing to be careful about is that if you get carried away, you can tear the spotweld from the flange you want to keep.

if I felt as though it was going to tear through, I slipped the air hammer between two spot welds and used my saws-all to sever the two pieces.

Any progress?
      PartTime
      Chris Hager

Found some more time to work on the passenger side today. It pretty much goes the same as the driver side.

Here is a bunch of pics. If anybody has any questions let me know, but like I said before same as drivers side.

Original tub

Spotwelds that I drilled out

Tub came out almost in one piece.

Had to spot weld drivers bar so I could pull passenger side.

Interior cut made

Pulling passenger bar

Approx frame notch. Not complete yet

Interior flange bent down.

Had to stop at this piont as I sliced my finger pretty good with the cut-off wheel. Should have been wearing gloves!! Only a little more trimming and this tub will be in. As I get time to work on the tubs I will post pics. I was going to start welding the closeouts but the DSE quadralink crossmember will have to be mocked up first.

Still looking for some more pics or ideas for 17x11's to fill these holes!

Does that kit require you to knotch out the frame? It looks like this in the pic. How do you keep the strength in the frame there? I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my nova is why I'm asking and I'm just wondering what all is in store for me. Great pics!!
      - Project QIKENUF is finally underway and taking shape.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=46490

Yes you do have to notch the frame. Everything gets reinforced with 1/8" plate plus there is a crossmember that gets welded between and on top of the frame rails. Pretty substantial.

Great stuff! Thanks for all the pictures.
      John Brown
      1971 Nova - Project Car
      1990 Silverado - Ridetech StreetGRIP
      Instagram @wilwaxu
      Facebook @wilwaxu

Quote Originally Posted by ls1 nova
      Yes you do have to notch the frame. Everything gets reinforced with 1/8" plate plus there is a crossmember that gets welded between and on top of the frame rails. Pretty substantial.
      I appreciate the info. I noticed the pictures of it after I posted that. How wide of a tire do they say you can fit in there?

On a Nova an 11" rim. I have 14 5/8" between the quarter panel lip and inner wheelwell. I am going to run 17's so DSE suggests a 315-35-17. On a Camaro I believe you can run a 12" wide rim with 335-35-17's.

Nice work Those tires will look sweet under there.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

LS1Nova What are your plans for the rearend and suspension. Did you get the kit with the relocated leaf springs and everything or are you switching it up? I think I am going to go with a triangulated four link with coil overs on mine. I will have to post pics.

No, running the DSE quadralink suspension. Trying to decide whether DSE can fit the rear end correctly, or do I order the rims and give them a measurement and put it on the spot. Really up in the air!! Would like to "rent" 17x11 with 315-35-11 " Please respond!! Need help here.(backspace questionable) Some say 5.5 bs is perfect others say bs should match front? Input pleaase?

Thanks,
      Erik

I got my tubs started. After seeing yours with the knotched frame I may have to redo them though. You can see mine under project updates. I'm questioning the size of tire that I can run now.

Well, after talking to Jason at DSE they claim they can put the rear end width spot on. As of now I will be ordering the quadralink and the 9" with the S case center section tommorow when I come home from work. Any nay sayers please speak up! Dont want to mess this up. Anybody with a bad experiance?

With DSE....yeah.

They're all the way across the country. LOL

You should be in good hands.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

re

LS1- I have questions

When you order this miinitub kit you get a video, is the video very detailed on removal, install, and tools necessary?
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

No, pretty much a promosional video. That is why I am posting as many pics of my experiance as I can. It does come with printout cutouts but I am making those up as needed. Its only $25 dollars and it made me feel better buying it. I will say the tubs are excellent quality and fit very well. I just purchased the quadralink and will have upcoming pics of that also.

Awesome pics! Anymore updates? I can appreciate all of this a lot after having done it myself as well.

I'm curious are you planning on laying a bead on the inside of the tubs (in the trunk)? Or just spot welding it? Also are you planning on painting the inside of the tubs when you are done? Curious what you are thinking of doing.

Looks like your an animal! I am doing the same with my camaro and appreciated the pics. I will be into mine tomorrow since we got snow today and 1" to 6" expected tomorrow...no fishing = welding and fab

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com