Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70
      http://www.westechauto.com/

The 5.3L bores are just too small. Stephen, if you're going to do this, do it right. LS2 4" bore block, billet 3" stroker crank. This is a track car. The engine needs to live!

Andrew

P.S. Answer your PMs...LOL
      5.3 alum blocks have very thick sleeves and can easily be bored 60 over. In fact I've heard they can be made into a 5.7 but I would have to confirm.

Again, I want to try something different. Where's the story value if I just do whats been done a bunch. If it fails on the dyno I can always stroke it up in displacement. That's why I'm stating the engine portion of the car early, so I have time to tweak the plan.

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Quote Originally Posted by Damn True

Andrew, why is the bore such a factor?
      What EFI69 said. Another factor is that a larger bore provides a greater area against which the expanding gases of combustions can act against.

The problem with stroker cranks in LSx engines is that the cylinder liners are too short. One of the "dirty little" secrets that people rarely talk about. With 4" or more stroke cranks only about 1 inch of the top of the piston is supported by the bore at BDC. While these engines are all the rage, I'll pass, unless the engine is based on an LS7 block or resleeved.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2
      5.3 alum blocks have very thick sleeves and can easily be bored 60 over. In fact I've heard they can be made into a 5.7 but I would have to confirm.

Again, I want to try something different. Where's the story value if I just do whats been done a bunch. If it fails on the dyno I can always stroke it up in displacement. That's why I'm stating the engine portion of the car early, so I have time to tweak the plan.
      LOL...You probably heard it from me. I got a 5.3L aluminum block engine in the fall of 2006. It was going to be a budget turbo engine for the RX7. The sleeves on a 5.3L have the same O.D. as the 5.7L sleeves. So yes, you can easily have the 5.3L bored and make it into a 5.7L LSx. What is so different about that?

Here are some pictures from the disassembly:

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70
      LOL...You probably heard it from me. I got a 5.3L aluminum block engine in the fall of 2006. It was going to be a budget turbo engine for the RX7. The sleeves on a 5.3L have the same O.D. as the 5.7L sleeves. So yes, you can easily have the 5.3L bored and make it into a 5.7L LSx. What is so different about that?

Andrew
      There's nothing different about that. I was just making a point about how thick the sleeves are on an alum 5.3 block

I could just build it as a 5.3 which would be pretty much a modern all aluminum 327. Hell, with my resources I could build it both ways just for giggles and education.

Like I said, if I just build what's been done a dozen times then how much value would that story have? I would rather experiment for you guys. So, we will build two engines. On a standard stroke 5.3 and the other a deStroked 5.3 with an overbore to get it to the 302 range. Thoughts?

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

By the way Andrew.. you should do freelance work in regards to tech stories. You take better technical photos than most of the freelancers I work with.

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

By the way Andrew.. you should do freelance work in regards to tech stories. You take better technical photos than most of the freelancers I work with.
      LOL....Thank you...Those photos were destined for a tech article, but the build never happened. You just gave me a great idea. still waiting for an answer to your PM...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I like the idea of the 5.3. There are so many of them out there that are available. It's time we found out what these little mills are capable of.

I have a 5.3 in my truck and I think for what it is it runs like a monster. I'd love to see what a cam, intake and exhaust would do for it.
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

Didn't Jeff Smith (forgot which mag but probably CHP) build a supercharged 302 a long time ago for good mileage and insane power on a GenI? Now we could have a LS 302 and get it all.
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dorion
      Didn't Jeff Smith (forgot which mag but probably CHP) build a supercharged 302 a long time ago for good mileage and insane power on a GenI? Now we could have a LS 302 and get it all.
      Yep, a destroked 302 with a turbo would be super cool. Just not sure I want to deal with a turbo (and it doesn't really fall in the budget catagory).

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dorion
      That was a neat engine.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Yep, a destroked 302 with a turbo would be super cool. Just not sure I want to deal with a turbo (and it doesn't really fall in the budget catagory).
      I've been considering this for a while...I got a pair of T-66's on the shelf waiting for something to go into. as if I need something else to do..thanx alot Steve

Quote Originally Posted by WS6
      check it out Steve. I found this while googling info on the 302 Trans Am I mentioned.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=20495
      Nineball did not like my idea of a de-stroked ls motor. After I figured the budget for that motor...I throw the idea away

Like I said, if I just build what's been done a dozen times then how much value would that story have? I would rather experiment for you guys. So, we will build two engines. On a standard stroke 5.3 and the other a deStroked 5.3 with an overbore to get it to the 302 range. Thoughts?
      Do it!

Steve,

I have been thinking of doing this with my LS6. I would definitly be interested in the article. So go for it.

Alan

We will keep an eye on this thread as we are going to put a 5.3 in my son's 78 T/A. The engines are easy to find cheap. Just priced one at a local yard for $600 48000 miles. I am looking at a 16 year old doesn't need LS1 power and I am hoping the 5.3 will get better miage as this is going to be his DD. He can change to a bigger engine later as all the adapting to the car will be done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com